What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aldrovanda

At Wikipedia I stumbled upon Aldrovanda. I hadn't heard about it here or anywhere else though. Who grows it? What's it like? What's required? Where can it be bought?

~ Brett

Elgecko has or at least had some growing in an outside filter of a fishtank.

my understanding is that its one of those plants that either does really well for a person or its extreamly difficult. not much middle ground, kinda like Helis or Darlingtonia. i know several members have it and occationally have extras. you should probably put a post in the trade forum

I have had very good luck so far with some Aldrovanda in my planted tropical fish aquarium. I have really bright lighting in the tank, along with CO2 injection. I simply let the aldrovanda float around, for the most part it remains in a corner. The fish like to occassionaly pick at it (mainly my SAE), which is strange because I never see them pick at any other plants. Anyhow, I have had them about 1 month, and there has been quite a bit of new growth in that time. I am considering creating a clear isolation box for the plant, to allow water to flow through the box and light to enter but not allow the fish to pick at it. Growth would pick up considerably after that I am sure.

Where can you get some? At the last NECPS meeting (the annual show) there were quite a few available from one individual. He might have more upon request.

Mine are doing fine in a small plastic container filled with peat-tea and under fluorescent lighting. There are several posts in the Aldrovanda forum that describe people's growing conditions--you should check it out.

Back