What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good ppl.............

i just ran across this press release:

American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Nov. 7, 2005 - Two of the nation's largest home-improvement retailers are recognizing Veterans Day by offering discounts for military personnel.

The Home Depot and Lowe's companies both are offering a 10 percent discount for all active-duty military, reservists, retirees and their families Nov. 10 to 13.

At Home Depot stores, the offer is good on purchases of up to $2,000, for a maximum discount of $200. The offer applies to purchases at Home Depot stores, Home Depot Floor Stores, Home Depot Landscape Supply stores and Expo Design Center locations.

"This Veterans Day, our nation will honor the brave men and women who have served our country in the military, ensuring many of the freedoms we enjoy each day," said Bob Nardelli, chairman, president and chief executive officer of The Home Depot. "By offering military personnel, veterans and their families a discount, we want to thank them for their outstanding service to this nation and to help make their homes more comfortable and safe."

To qualify, individuals must present proof of military service to the
Special Services desk at any Home Depot store, where they will receive a coupon redeemable at any cashier's checkout register. Discount coupons are valid on a single receipt, in-store purchase only. Details and exceptions are printed on the coupon.

At Lowe's, the discount is available on in-stock purchases up to $2,000. To qualify, individuals must present a valid military ID. Excluded from the discount are online sales, previous sales, special order items, installation fees, gift cards and certain appliances.

The military discount program at Lowe's is offered in conjunction with the Defense Department's America Supports You program, an ongoing nationwide campaign that communicates America's support to men and women serving in the U.S. armed forces.

(Compiled from Home Depot and Lowe's news releases.)

Related Site:

America Supports You [http://www.americasupportsyou.mil/]

Hmmm ... earlier this year the military said veterans' benefits are "hurtful" because they take money from the war effort.  I don't remember it ever mentioning that the Bush tax cuts were hurtful.  Now the military is sponsoring this America Supports You crap with the help of loyal Republican allies Home Depot & Lowes.

HD's the one that had the tax code changed last year to save itself ~$15 million a year of tariffs for ceiling fans imported from China.  That's $15 million just for fans just for Home Depot.  A tax break here and a lowered rate there and pretty soon we're talking about some real money lost from the federal treasury.  Maybe enough to avoid cutting veterans' benefits.  The HD & Lowes publicity machines seem pretty silent about underfunding in the VA system.

------------
Edit: filter bypass

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I don't remember it ever mentioning that the Bush tax cuts were hurtful.  Now the military is sponsoring this America Supports You crap with the help of loyal Republican allies Home Depot & Lowes.
 How can you possibly turn the simple report of a good deed into another Bush bashing session?
confused.gif

I think all Rattler was trying to do was point out that some of our American Corporations are trying to say "Thanks" to the members of our military.

Today is the 230th birthday of The United States Marine Corp.  "Semper Fi".

-----------
Edit: just fixing the quote

christ Bruce, trying to talk with you is impossible.

just where in the hell do you shop anyways since you tear appart just about every single large corporation? this is really starting to get idiotic.

Home Depot and Lowes could give veterans a huge discount on Veterans Day and, if they did that, no one could complain.  But a 10% discount isn't a sacrifice.  Veterans are getting screwed by the US government and corporations like HD make that happen by supporting an administration whose tax cuts are crippling the US' ability to pay for important things.  Like Veterans' benefits.

Edit:  By the way, I do sometimes shop at Home Depot, since the hardware store three blocks from here and the lumber yard across town closed after HD opened a mile away.  I try to only go there when I have no other choice.  Fortunately, I usually have alternatives because other places are still in the area (within 12 miles).  I do have a grudge against big, politically-connected corporations.  That used to be a Republican trait, by the way, since so many of the connections were with the Democratics.

well, i think it's nice
biggrin.gif

Back