What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fruitflies!

How do fruitflies get into a previously fruit-flyless house? I don't have fruit sitting out, or dirty plates. Do they spontaneously generate? I guess my pings will be happy, though! Aprilh

Iono how they get there. They're just are. That's where the CPs come in...

They come from hell Aprilh, they come from hell
mad.gif
!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]They come from hell Aprilh, they come from hell
mad.gif
!

hehe Dunno, for some reason that struck a cord and got a good chuckle out of me.

Fruit flies can breed a good number of places. Say, in your plant pots. I know that fruit flies seem to just luuuurve some of my pots. Works for me, though: helps feed the little guys.

Maybe i can transplant a Utric or two to each pot to keep the population down?

That's what I tried for these little white bugs that grow in the sphagnum moss. They work for a certain amount of soil volume. In the 1.5" deep trays I have full of sphagnum, I used to have a lot of probs with the bugs. I let some utrics take over the trays, and I barely see them anymore.

Oh, and on the hell thing, I meant for it to be funny
smile.gif

AprilH: Fruitflies have similar properties to socks, watermarks, and car keys...that is that they can indeed spontaneously generate/dissapear.

Hey, free CP food!

Well, Jimscott, I figured that you would be the expert on fruitflies! I'm going to put some banana slices by my pings, I hope to encourage the little fruitflies. I'm constantly amazed at their ability to appear out of nowhere!

Funny, when my wife took 3 of the kids up to East Aurora a few weeks ago, including my daughter, the fruitfly population in the townhouse dropped to zero. Coincidence.... I think not! Seriously, at the lab, I have a couple of Gladware containers with fruit that was rejected by my co-workers and that has done an excellent job of attracting the fruitflies.

Back