What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you play music cds on your computer?

• Thread starter adnedarn
  • Start date

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
Have you herd that Sony Corp now has a program on their music CDs that installs to your root files to prevent you from making more than 3 copies of the CD. Becide the fact that now there is a program on your computer that you didn't put there... Hackers have already found ways to use this program to get into your computer. The Sony software aparently has a few flaws. There are many topics around the internet about this... Here is one of them. Really all you need to do is search "Sony BMG" and you'll come up with all types of pages on this. Symantec has already put out a removal tool for the program that Sony installs on your computer. You can find it here.
Remember though, if you use this tool to remove the file, next time you use the CD it reinstalls it :-\ Sony has put out a "repair" where it replaces the program with a "safe" version... You can find that here.
Andrew

well, can you copy the copy?

I've heard this.  It's crap like this that makes me hate these greedy a** companies and record labels.  Their freakin greed is gonna drive our rights and freedoms down to h***.  Seriously.  I've also heard that some games coming out,... I think the Sony Playstation 3 ones, once you play the new game disc on the counsel, you can't play that same game disc on another game counsel.  If that is true, I'm boycotting whatever company is doing that, even if it's Sony!  America is facing a sad sad future...

There's a program called CDex, which will allow you to copy CD's with these sony cd's.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdexos/

The band called Switchfoot was promoting it, as they and other bands are unhappy with the level of limitation that Sony has put on their fan's retail cd's.

Don't a lot of PC games already have similar spyware attachments? I heard that a lot of recent software introduces hidden programs into your system in order to enforce copy protection and report piracy. It doesn't surprise me, really. Still, anybody with a commercial CD duplicator should be able to circumvent this. I wonder why the recording industry targets home users and not big-time bootleg operations.
~Joe

Yea but that's a computer, not a game counsel. If they screw with the game counsel games that way, good 'ol blockbuster wont be able to offer video games for rent anymore
mad.gif
!

Well the thing is there would be no bootleggers if the people who bought the retail CD didn't rip it to their HD and distribute it. The problem is Sony has taken it too far. First off most people now a days are ripping cd's for their iPods and such, so limiting it to 3 rips is ridiculous. As the owner of the CD you are allowed to make backups of the original since you own it. You're just not entitled to distribute it for money.

These record companies are just money hungry. "Piracy" is not hurting sales, if anything they are promoting the band to people and attracting new customers. I understand that bands need to sell x number of CD's to get profit, but it is not like everyone is using a file sharing program and not buying the retail cd. Also there is no physical evidence of devistating profit loss; they just want to leech from as many consumers as possible.

I tend to download CD's to get an idea of how good it is. If I really like the CD I will buy it. If I buy the CD, chances are that I like the band and will go see them perform (which costs ridiculous amounts of money). The real problem is that the artists are being screwed over by these record labels who do nothing but stamp and distribute their albums on store shelves.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If I buy the CD, chances are that I like the band and will go see them perform (which costs ridiculous amounts of money).

Concerts is where the money is for bands anyway. I'm not trying to justify bootlegging, but just stating that artists (to my knowlege) don't make much off of CDs.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Outsiders71 @ Nov. 11 2005,10:05)]Well the thing is there would be no bootleggers if the people who bought the retail CD didn't rip it to their HD and distribute it.
Bootlegging has been around much longer than home computers and compact discs. Electronic copy protection won't stop the real bootleggers - the ones who sell Christina Aguilara CDs and Charmed boxed sets out of the Philippines for $6 a pop. As long as the media plays on a media player, someone can copy it.
~Joe

All of these are very valid points and I could write for some time on both sides of the topic. I do create copies of the disks i buy, one for each car, one for home, the copy on my computer, the copy on my Xbox hard drive, and of course... the one for my Ipod. But the main problem I wanted to point out here was the security issue. I take computer security very seriously. But computer security is just like CD copy protection. It will be an ongoing battle. Threats will come out/copies will be made and there will be programs to help protect you/ people will find ways to make copies.
Andrew

Yeah, i heard about that from ABSforums. Newest news is that they're temporarily stopped the XCP because comptuer-savvy people were ruining their computers by removing it.

Man if sony does that to there discs for there PS3 then they couldn`t be sold used at gameshops! That means you can`t resell them when you`re done with them to buy more games! Oh,well it`s a good thing I`m a Nintendo fan:;):

I hate that it`s "illegal" to copy cd`s and such. I mean it`s your disk right? I saw on nascar today a disclaimer saying that if you copy the program if you copy it it`s copy right infrigement, which means you may face 5 yrs. imprisionment and a $500,000 fine! For reference Killing someone while driveing drunk only carrys a maximum 2-5yrs. imprisionment in the state of missourii(you learn alot reading those driver guides to get your permit Lol.)! And that was just being picked up through antenna in MY airspace,so in effect there broadcast was trespassing on my property(Though I don`t mind)! Quoteing a Merl Haggard song "Are we rolling down hill like a snowball headed for he**?"

Back