What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone here raise ducks or chickens?

I'm becoming more and more interested in raising chickens/ducks. I think I will attempt to do this next spring. Was wondering if any of you here have any experience with raising them and if you have any recommendations on information that would be useful to people who are new to this. I found this site: http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com supposively it is pretty popular.

Discuss!

That'd be really smart, especially considering how scared everyone is over bird flu. Don't be surprised if your forced to kill the poor things in the future when or if it does get bad, and s*** hits the fan. Seriously, you might want to think about that...

Bird flu... common are we still trippin on that media frenzy released a month or 2 ago? Remember when the west nile virus was supposed to kill us all too?

Honestly though I respect your word of caution, but there is enough research that shows that the bird flu is 99.9% not going to affect us. Scientists have even said that even if the bird flu mutates, it does not necessarily mean it will still be lethal. Also I will not be raising these guys as food but as pets.

I'm talking about the flu popping up in your birds, not so much the humans. If they were to contract the virus, they would come in and kill all the birds that didn't die from the flu in a quarantine effort. That's a very real possibility. For birds, this flu is spreading rapidly. I personaly am not scared of this virus if it were to jump human to human, but others might not be as lax as me. I'd just think twice, that's all I'm saying.

My ex used to have a breed of duck called Indian Runners. They're tall and brown and have thin bodies. They stand very straight and look kind of like umbrellas. You should get some of those; the eggs are really good and they're super cute.
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lol @ Nov. 12 2005,12:34)]I'm talking about the flu popping up in your birds, not so much the humans. If they were to contract the virus, they would come in and kill all the birds that didn't die from the flu in a quarantine effort. That's a very real possibility. For birds, this flu is spreading rapidly. I personaly am not scared of this virus if it were to jump human to human, but others might not be as lax as me. I'd just think twice, that's all I'm saying.
lol:

You got a point there. However I think it would be common practice to axe anything that looks diseased right? Atleast that's what I would do, bird flu or not, if there is something wrong with it it needs put down. Same thing goes with dogs/cats. If they contract rabies or something, you put them down. BTW don't forget that this bird flu is also infecting animals such as domestic cats/dogs. So it's not just limited to bird only species, if the flu gets over here it will infect other pets as well. Which goes back to the axe if sick procedure.

Seedjar:

Thanks for the info. I was wondering how domestic were they? Were they pretty temperate and tolerable or were they mean/independent. I've heard that ducklings can be very good pets if you get them when young or hatch them yourselves (if you give proper daily interaction). Just curious
smile.gif

These ducks were a little skittish of me, because I wasn't around much, but after just a week or two at my ex's house the ducks were fine with all the members of the family. They would come eat out of my hand and the family could pick them up, although they didn't exactly like to cuddle. They were young when she got them, but not ducklings. They had been handraised by a nearby breeder.
Ducks can be good pets, but you have to understand that they're like all birds in that they have attitude and they prefer to stick to their flock. If you have just one duck and it bonds just to you, it'll accept you and look to you for stimulation and companionship. But when a bird figures out that you're not a bird, the honeymoon is over; they'll still tolerate you, but they'll never be as interested in you as they are in their kin. As long as you don't expect them to be like a pack of puppies, a flock of ducks should be a lot of fun.
Ducks do need space; they need a coop to nest, sleep, and lay eggs in, a nice space to run around, and a pool to swim and bathe in. Duck water gets nasty fast - I hope you have a use for fertilizer. Ducks also have attitude, and will attack if threatened. Although they aren't especially dangerous to an adult, their bites are surprisingly painful and they could possibly pose a threat to a child or another pet if left unsupervised. Despite that, they're safer and easier to manage than most livestock. Setting up the coop and run is kind of expensive, but upkeep is relatively cheap, and the right breed of duck will readily produce a steady supply of eggs. They even eat some garden pests (like snails, I think.)
I really wish I could have ducks, but I live on the third floor of an apartment building. Oh well...
~Joe

PS - I understand keeping chickens is roughly the same - my neighbors down the street have a chicken coop in their back yard, in the middle of a dense suburban neighborhood. The only difference is that chicken beaks are sharp.

hey dont wanna be mean or anything but has anyone tried duck before, yes as a meal?

Yes, and it's awesome!
biggrin.gif

I don't know about chickens but I had ducks as pets when I was a kid. They were great! They lived for 7 years. They used to hunt me down in the neighborhood when it was "bedtime". They'd stand at my neighbors fence and raise a ruckus for me to come put them up in their pen. If I could, I'd have ducks as pets today but...I think Ollie would like them a little too much.
confused.gif

I'd recommend ducks to anyone.
smile.gif
Err...as pets, not as dinner.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Nov. 13 2005,7:32)]Err...as pets, not as dinner.
well i know you dont eat a pet. i use to have a pet dove that we have raised since it hatched, as it grew it became to be plump. my grandma, being from mexico, wanted to eat it. i ended up giving it away...
blues.gif

but yeah i wouldnt eat my pet unless it wast and its wild(not kept in captivity as a pet)

I raise both. I`d recomend Muscovy ducks very hardy,they don`t quack,don`t need as much of a pool as normal ducks, and are easy to care for,my experiences with runners is they all get predated on. Chickens also are prime target for predation you`ll need a coop or large cage to protect them,but birds of prey will still eat them if they are out in the day even. I would get a shotgun as well and if you see a predacious animal shoot it on sight,coons can rip[a birds head right out of a cage,a very horrifying sight.

Remember that ducks need to submerge there head to swallow as well.

This is what I'm currently stuck on, coops/tractors. I need to pick up some books at the library and read up on it. I like the idea of a tractor, it is portable so you can move it around the yard and rake up the mess. However I can see this only being good for the warmer times of the year (which is only a few months here in Ohio). Winters are pretty brutal here in NE Ohio, starting from anywhere in November upto late may (depending on how mother nature is).

Can coops be built to protect chickens in cold, winter weather? So far from people I've talked to they die from freezing in the winter here. Also would a duck share a home in the coop with the chicken? So much to learn
smile.gif

i am interested also, but prefer geese. Raising chickens for the heck of it? pick bantams. But do NOT let chickens in with prized plants because they ill eat em! Allso look into guine fowl, great pest/tick controlers, watchdogs, etc.

I know a few broken-winged snow geese and a canada goose that will never fly but won them over by feeding them grass in their grassless pen. they come up to me now, wich is saying alot with wild animals

I'd say raise them for pets and meat, but I'm a little more callous than most people in that respect. But consider this - there's going to be birds of prey, coons, neighborhood dogs and cats, and possibly wild dogs or big cats, all attracted to your plump, lazy, penned up domestic flock, as others have pointed out. Pets die, and domestic fowl are particularly prone in that respect. Chances are that at least one of your birds will die a painful, frightening death at the hands of a predator, and that's a reality you have to come to terms with if you're going to keep small, relatively defenseless livestock. Unless you intend to raise a bird as a lap pet that's under your constant supervision when not in its coop, you won't always be there to protect it. I think it's best to enjoy them as a flock of birds and try not to become attached - keep a breeding pair producing a clutch every year, harvest the excess eggs, and when the adults start getting on in their years, take them to a humane butcher and have them put down gently. It's at least as kind as leaving them to the wolves. Besides, they'll be happier if you let them breed and raise their young and do regular duck/chicken things. I'm sad when I harvest my annual vegetables, because my plants are my companions and I like seeing them alive and growing every day. But things get eaten and that's the way it goes for living beings. I find some solice in the fact that I have no ill intent towards the things I eat; I simply need to eat. Will you resent the bacteria and other detritivores that decompose your body when you die?
~Joe

ive eaten wild duck and goose. very good but very rich. not something i can eat all the time. never had domestic raised meat of either.

i had "pet" ducks and geese for about a year and a half. fun critters but very messy. ive always heard of ppl being chased by geese but mine were chickens. i really liked my African goos, she was really friendly and seemed happy to see me even if i didnt have any food. the ducks were friendly also. we gave them to a friend of ours this past fall as i didnt want to keep them through another winter and they had geese already. i was told the duck we gave them ignores everyone until the food or water dish runs out. than he goes and finds Gordon so that he will fill it up again.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Outsiders71 @ Nov. 13 2005,10:20)]This is what I'm currently stuck on, coops/tractors.  I need to pick up some books at the library and read up on it.  I like the idea of a tractor, it is portable so you can move it around the yard and rake up the mess.  However I can see this only being good for the warmer times of the year (which is only a few months here in Ohio).  Winters are pretty brutal here in NE Ohio, starting from anywhere in November upto late may (depending on how mother nature is).

Can coops be built to protect chickens in cold, winter weather?  So far from people I've talked to they die from freezing in the winter here.  Also would a duck share a home in the coop with the chicken?  So much to learn
smile.gif
Musovy ducks and chikens get along well anyhow:)
As for cold weather coop as long as you have enough insolation,a 250 watt heat lamp ,and it is well sealed from drafts,you shouldn`t have a problam. I`d also advise a heated watering bowl. As far as breeds go Cochins,Orpingtons,wyandottes,and Brahmas are all very cold hardy and good layers as well as the most affectionate breeds (real pets)
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ Nov. 14 2005,1:35)]i am interested also, but prefer geese. Raising chickens for the heck of it? pick bantams. But do NOT let chickens in with prized plants because they ill eat em! Allso look into guine fowl, great pest/tick controlers, watchdogs, etc.

I know a few broken-winged snow geese and a canada goose that will never fly but won them over by feeding them grass in their grassless pen. they come up to me now, wich is saying alot with wild animals
With guineas though get them as keets as adults will just fly away! Btw. Guineas will cross with chickens(although the offspring are sterile) producing a true bi-familiar hybrid!

Back