What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Washed sand?

• Thread starter Drosera36
  • Start date
Well, I washed some play sand like a million times by putting it into a bucket and then filling it with water and quickly washing out the particles before they settle. I have come to a point where, when I add water and quickly turn it off, the sand that has been disturbed by the water very quickly settles, and the water remains crystal clear. I have read everywhere that you need to wash the sand REALLY well, so, have I washed it enough?

personaly I don't think it needs to be super cleaned. No place sells play sand around here, because everything around here is sand.
I just go out in my yard dig a hole, until I hit the near white sand, bring it inside cook it in the oven @ 350 until it is all dry or 30 minutes which ever longer, then use once it has cooled.

Well, when you think about it you wash out nutrients every time you water (granted your water has a lower nutrient concentration.) People say just wash it until it's clear. Bottom line: if you're using sand that is of the quality your plants need, then you should worry too much about it, especially after you rinse it off a few times.

I rince till water is clear. Usually that is 3-6 times. I don't rinse mine everytime i water since i tray water... Like most people. This is why I rince my peat and sand... So it takes longer for the minerals to build up so i have to transplant... I've never cooked my sand though... Yes, i buy it.

3 times for good measure, or until sand is clear. Is it just me, or does this sound like cooking instructions?

How would you deal with sand sinking in water and the peat floating on top when you are mixing both together? When repotting, I keep getting pure sand at the bottom and pure peat on the surface!

"Now bake in the oven for 25 minutes at 350 degrees."
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (guqin @ Nov. 14 2005,3:47)]How would you deal with sand sinking in water and the peat floating on top when you are mixing both together? When repotting, I keep getting pure sand at the bottom and pure peat on the surface!
You wash them seperatly... With sand, you just add water, swoosh around, and drian water. Till water is clear.
With peat, add water swish around, let sit a while for the peat to soak up the water, then one handfull at a time, squeeze the water onto the ground, and put the squeezed peat into another bucket... 3 or 4 times for each peat and sand is generally pretty good...
Andrew

OK, I will try this. Cheers.

And, since I washed my sand with tap water, do I just wait until the water evaporates to use it, so the possibility of chlorine is gone?

Generally you would want to AT LEAST finnish off with clean water (ro/distilled/di/rain) Chlorine isn't really what we're worried about for our plants. It is the TDS (total disolved solids) and those don't go away with evaporation...
Andrew

It's just that distilled water is precious.....anywho, couldn't I just mix the sand with the soil and then flood it with distilled and make the water come outta the bottom of the pot, therefore washing away the TDS?

Chlorine evaporates, but the idea is to remove impurites. You can try a vinegar test. Just take a sample of the sand and add vinegar. If it fizzes, it needs more rinsing. If it doesn't, probably clean enough.

Alright. That sounds good. I'll try it.
smile.gif

Well, it didn't fizz, though my sand wasn't dry. Would that make any difference?

It's probably good to go!

Uhm, the vinager test tests the PH level... Not the TDS level. Two toatally differnt things.. Yes, you want the sand to not react to the PH of the peat... But also, you need it low in TDS.

You can jsut make a pot, and run lots of water through it... But i've found that MUCH less effective and MUCH more time consuming....
Andrew

How bout I just test some sand in some distilled water with a water hardness test? That should work.

there are electron TDS testers available for 20-40 bucks. That's what I use. And yeah, i just test the run off... like the water i squeeze out of the peat, the rince water of sand... or if a plant is doing poorly, i run water through the pot and test that.... I don't know how effective other hardness tests are.. Like for fish tanks and such (kh and gh)
Andrew

Well, since I don't wanna pay 20-40 bucks, how bout I just wash it a few more times with distilled?

Back