What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Word game

• Thread starter Copper
  • Start date
Navel!

pants

So here is the next one: Pilosocereus azulensis (spelled correctly)

If u find this one i'll eat my socks. Its tricky and perhaps ypu will find the 'roundabout' species name if you can find it, wich i will accept.

Pilosocereus

Pilosocereus is a genus of around 50 species of columnar cactis that spreads from Mexico and West Indies down to northern South America. They are mostly large columnar cacti. The name Pilosocereus comes from the Latine for 'hairy Cereus'.

As many other Cereus related cacti, Pilosocereus have large, light colored, heavily scented, funnel shaped flowers that open at night and stay open for less than 24 hours.

Pilosocereus are generally not frost resistant, and should be protected. If one of your specimen is outside and a light frost might occur, the usual way to protect it in Phoenix is to stick a polystyrene cup at the top of each stem. This added protection is enough to avoid damage to the frost tender growing point, and it can be left for several weeks without any damage to the tree.

Most Pilosocereus come from an area that has a marked dry season from November to May, and a wet season from May to October. In cultivation, they will generally enjoy regular watering and fertilizing in late spring to early autumn, while only light watering is needed the rest of the year.

Species and varieties

Pilosocereus azulensis
Scientific Name: Pilosocereus azulensis N.P.Taylor & D.C.Zappi
Synonym:
Family: Cactaceae Recommended Temperature Zone:
USDA: 10-12

Frost Tolerance: Will take very little frost before growing tips of the stems are damaged

Minimum Avg. Temperature: 55°F (12°C)

Sun Exposure: Bright shade to full sun

Origin: Brazil (Minas Gerais: "Mun. Pedra Azul, 16 03 S, 41 14 W")

Growth Habits:

Watering Needs: Regular water and fertilizer from late spring to early fall. Light watering in winter

Propagation:

Blooming Habits:

Fruiting Habits:

I couldn't find a picture of this particular species, but only that of the genus. Here is one example:

pilosocereus_glaucochrous.jpg

history

History!

Digging/drilling (your choice!)

Snowball.........from Rose, and Joe

Buffalo!

Back