What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any one....

• Thread starter fc3srx713b
  • Start date
Yeah, I watched that fight live a couple years ago. Kostya Tszyu was a great fighter. That guy that got knocked out is Zab Judah, who is now a champion as Tszyu is retired. The guy that put Tszyu into retirement is Ricky Hatton, who just unified the title. That's the best weight division in boxing right now, imo. Throw Mayweather jr. into the mix, and you have a LOT of good fights in the coming years.

Capslock

I know I will be greatly outnumbered here but in my opinion, boxing is barbaric. Its nothing but a legalized brawl. I don't care how much someone trains and how skilled they are at dancing around and throwing punches, its still two guys beating each other with the ultimate goal of knocking someone senseless. Great fun!

If the same thing took place outside of the ring, they'd be arrested for assault. But get a whole bunch of people making a ton of MONEY off two people trying to knock each other unconscious and somehow that makes it OK.
confused.gif
I can't understand anyone enjoying watching two men getting beaten up.

Now wrestling (REAL wrestling, not the fake stuff) is different. Wrestling allows one to employ skill, strategy and strength to prove "supremacy" without the objective being to injure the opponent. Interesting that there isn't as much money to be made in wrestling since the public doesn't get to see blood, bruising, swelling, cuts and someone unconscious on the mat.

I wonder if we could bring back throwing people to a bunch of lions to see who gets mauled or killed. Could probably make millions of dollars off of that too.

I hate violence for the sake of violence. There is enough of that in the world as it is without having people pay to watch it and cheer it on.
smile_h_32.gif

:Stepping down off soapbox: Now...let me go polish my peace sign, put on my tie-dye T-shirt and walk barefoot through the flowers.
cool.gif

..... (*_*) ....... i see the point but the lion thing is too much, i think....

Not looking to debate PAK here, but I have enjoyed boxing matches in the past, and yes, they are brutal.  Interesting point she made about wrestling which is not without risk.  See this abstract of a prospective study in the American Journal of Sports Medicine.

http://ajsm.highwire.org/cgi/content/abstract/28/4/509

If you took a minute to read, you saw that most injuries were shoulder and knee--not life threatening like head injuries in boxing, but still injuries.  And what's really interesting is that older, more experienced wrestlers may be MORE prone to injury.

Now, a nice brutal 'lions v. humans' type of fight for profit is so called 'extreme fighting' where a combination of strikes (mixed martial arts) and grappling (wrestling) techniques are used.  And who most often wins?  The grapplers because the fights most often end up on the ground and submission techniques are used: the other guy 'taps out'--game over.  It seems that PAK knows her fighting techniques pretty well after all!  So watch out, she may pin you all after pulling the daisys out of her hair and tying her tie dyed shirt into a singlet!
smile_n_32.gif

i personally dont get the point of wrestling. lol..this is my opinion, "if i wanted to get in a tight suit and wrestle with another guy in a tight suit, i wouldnt do it in front of someone let alone an audience."

i like boxing it would be sweet to have a school sport for boxing..but that is impossible so i guess. yes boxing is..vicous but..so is football, i love football but really football is a street fight with some pads and a helmet on. in order to win a boxing match u must have more strength, agility, etc. but yes.. it is a fight.

thanks

Brad

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spikeanator @ Nov. 30 2005,7:27)]"if i wanted to get in a tight suit and wrestle with another guy in a tight suit, i wouldnt do it in front of someone let alone an audience."  
i think thats why i dont like it too. two sweaty glistening guys....  
smile_l_32.gif

smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Nov. 29 2005,9:42)]I know I will be greatly outnumbered here but in my opinion, boxing is barbaric. Its nothing but a legalized brawl. I don't care how much someone trains and how skilled they are at dancing around and throwing punches, its still two guys beating each other with the ultimate goal of knocking someone senseless. Great fun!

If the same thing took place outside of the ring, they'd be arrested for assault. But get a whole bunch of people making a ton of MONEY off two people trying to knock each other unconscious and somehow that makes it OK.
confused.gif
I can't understand anyone enjoying watching two men getting beaten up.

Now wrestling (REAL wrestling, not the fake stuff) is different. Wrestling allows one to employ skill, strategy and strength to prove "supremacy" without the objective being to injure the opponent. Interesting that there isn't as much money to be made in wrestling since the public doesn't get to see blood, bruising, swelling, cuts and someone unconscious on the mat.

I wonder if we could bring back throwing people to a bunch of lions to see who gets mauled or killed. Could probably make millions of dollars off of that too.

I hate violence for the sake of violence. There is enough of that in the world as it is without having people pay to watch it and cheer it on.
smile_h_32.gif

:Stepping down off soapbox: Now...let me go polish my peace sign, put on my tie-dye T-shirt and walk barefoot through the flowers.
cool.gif
I like watching boxing but I am under the opinion that the boxers know what they are getting into. They take all the neccessary precautions to reduce serious injury with padded gloves/doctors/etc. Also you wouldn't get arrested boxing outside of a ring unless you were causing a disturbance or boxing someone who didn't want to box. If I were to box one of my friends in my front yard and we were both doing it for the fun of it the police couldn't arrest us as we wouldn't draw up charges. I dunno boxing just seems like fun. Nothing like 2 people beating the hell out of eachother for the fun of it. Hell me and my best friend Mark use to beat the Hell out of eachother because we were young, dumb, and full of energy. And that was before shows like Jackass It was a way of bonding.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ALLOSAURZ @ Nov. 30 2005,3:09)]...young, dumb, and full of energy.
hey! this sound familiar! except for the last part, i think i heard it in a rap...
smile_l_32.gif

Well...Mike Tyson should just be in jail. He's nothing but a common thug IMHO.

There is a difference between taking the risk of incidental injury in a competitive sport (football, hockey, even wrestling) and *deliberately* trying to knock a guy out. Sure, people get injured in football but the point of the game is to move the ball and score points, not run over your opponent and give them a concussion.

Of course the boxers know what they are getting into. Just as a thief knows he's taking a chance of getting killed when he breaks into someone's home, so does a boxer know he could get a brain anuerism from a blow to the head buts its okey dokey because of the MONEY.

So the two people in the ring are willing participants. Its still just two guys beating each other up for money and a bunch of people cheering them on ("KILL 'IM! KILL 'IM!!") . Why does watching a public beating appeal to so many people? Why does one enjoy watching a person hit and punch someone? There are many competitive sports that pit players against one another where they can show off strength, speed, strategy, etc. but doesn't involve deliberate injury.

I dont see boxers as "atheletes"...just someone making a buck off public violence.

And, Joe, I've done a little "wrestling" in my time.
smile_l_32.gif
But I've never in my life deliberately struck anyone with the intention of hurting them. I can't imagine doing that.

there are times in football when u ttry to hurt someone..i guess u never try to kill or hurt badly. but making the other team have pain is a way to have an edge.

but yes..i can see ur point...but i still like boxing.

thanks

BRad

There are more deaths from things like auto racing and mountain climbing than from boxing.

The thing is that hand-to-hand combat, like it or not, is just part of being an animal on earth. A certain amount of aggression is genetic, and it's been a survival tool for eons. We can't just pretend it's not there. And boxing is a better outlet for that aggression than the alternatives.

And it's absolutely a sport with strategy. Some of the all-time greats have not been knockout artists, but ring generals, using movement, elusiveness, and quick hands to win fights. People like Ali or Sugar Ray Leonard.

It's human nature. And it's an outlet. Plus, I love the tension, the anticipation, and the always-present chance it could end in a flash.

Capslock

hey CL,
what do you have to say about sugar shane and roy jones...
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

Football is no less violent than boxing.  But professional football regulates itself much better than professional boxing and former football players suffer from failing hips and knees, not failing brains.  This might be the only time you catch me quoting George Will, who said football combines two of the worst things about America - violence and committee meetings.

Back