What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

whats wrong...

Sorry if this is kind of long.
Yesterday I was on the way to the hospital to visit my fiance. She is having heart surgery on monday.
Anyway, I was headed up 30th st. by my house, and traffic was moving very slow. There was a transit bus a couple of cars ahead so I couldn't see up ahead, but I saw a cop car swing around on the other side of the street, lights flashing, and bystanders pointing. I looked in the direction everybody was pointing, and saw my neighbor, so messed up on whatever that she could barely walk, and some dude helping her. Another cop car came up from behind me and the cop put her in the car.
Traffic started moving, and when I got to the corner, my neighbor's car was in the middle of the street.
I went around the corner and parked to go see what happened, and the cops were talking to some other people. I couldn't really tell what happened so I went back to the truck, by then I saw the paramedics coming. So I go around the block to see who got hurt, and it turned out my neighbor hit someone.
Anyway, I had my visit with my fiance and returned home, and the neighbor's car was gone. I looked up the sheriff's website and found out she was arrested for DUI and she went to Las Colinas and her car was impounded.
So guess what???
Today, she is home and so is her car. GRRRRRRR
Thanks to her utter stupidity, someone is in the hospital with injuries, and she gets out free.
If I was just a couple of seconds earlier I might be the one being sent to the hospital. GRRRR
What is wrong with this picture? I think she is a menace to society and she needs to be locked up for awhile and learn her lesson. How can they let her AND her car out after she got arrested for DUI and causing bodily harm to someone?
Maybe I should go to court and tell the judge how I feel.

I'm sure it isn't as easy as it looks. I'm sure she'll have to go to court and all that ugly stuff: the rammifications of DUI are not minor. I find it odd that she has her car back, but something tells me that she aint in the clear.
Still, I can totally feel your anger, she shouldn't have her car back. I'm glad to hear that you are ok, though! The best of luck to your fiance on Monday! Though I'me sure she wont need any luck at all and will be fine.
smile.gif

This lady is 51 y/o and she can't hold a job so her daddy pays her rent all the time and he probably bailed her and her car out.
The sad thing is, she got taken to the hospital by the paramedics twice in the last year for OD'ing on pharmaceuticals.
A couple years ago she invited us over to her place for a Christmas gift swap. She was sooo messed up on Soma pills that she couldn't open the gift we gave her. We left after about 10 minutes. And I have NEVER seen her without a glass of wine in her hand. Even at 8:00 in the morning.
Anyway I fear she'll do it again and again until she kills someone or herself, she is the kind of person who doesn't listen and does what she wants. And whoever bailed her out should be locked up also.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The best of luck to your fiance on Monday! Though I'me sure she wont need any luck at all and will be fine.
smile.gif
She has clogged arteries was worried that they were going to do a double or triple bypass on her heart. At least that's what the doctors said
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Turns out they're going to do an angeoplasty and she'll be out in a couple days
smile_n_32.gif

Remember one thing. Innocent until proven guilty.

And I wish your wife the best. Heart disease is an ugly thing.

While your anger may be just, it is directed in slightly the wrong direction. We as LEO's have the same problems with the system, I cannot tell you how many times I have arrested someone, lodged them at County just to see them back in my jurisdiction by the end of my shift. Its a complicated issue, usually involving overly crowded jail space. Thus people arrested on minor offences get let out as quick as possible. Can't tell you what the answer is, just that it is just as frustration to LEO's as it is to victims.

Wolf

Thank the War on Drugs for clogging the legal system with fairly harmless offenders and leaving a real menace like your neighbor free to injure or possibly even kill people.  I think drug use is bad for the individual & for society, but it's sheer insanity to fill jails with pot smokers while freeing the drunks.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Dec. 04 2005,10:03)]Thank the War on Drugs for clogging the legal system with fairly harmless offenders and leaving a real menace like your neighbor free to injure or possibly even kill people.  I think drug use is bad for the individual & for society, but it's sheer insanity to fill jails with pot smokers while freeing the drunks.
Amen to that!

I think they should make a law forbidding women to drive anything, even a bike. Can you imagine the percentage by which accidents will decrease? Less accidents = lower insurance
smile.gif

Oh and also, maybe 3-4 months ago, I was going home from work, saw cops surrounding a car service car... the driver was dead (eigther bullet in the head or someone cut his throut, I'm not sure):(

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dimka @ Dec. 04 2005,3:03)]I think they should make a law forbidding women to drive anything, even a bike. Can you imagine the percentage by which accidents will decrease? Less accidents = lower insurance
smile.gif
In the UK women are the better drivers. we even have insurance companies that will only take women drivers because they are a lower risk. They tend to stick to speed limits and obey the rules of the road, unlike males who think they are the best drivers in the world and can afford to take risks. So us women are not usually involved in that many accidents, we see plenty in the rear view mirror though  
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think they should make a law forbidding women to drive anything, even a bike. Can you imagine the percentage by which accidents will decrease? Less accidents = lower insurance
smile.gif

Well, take some 50% of drivers off the road and of course there'll be less accidents. Oh, that wasn't what you meant?
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Dec. 04 2005,10:03)]Thank the War on Drugs for clogging the legal system with fairly harmless offenders and leaving a real menace like your neighbor free to injure or possibly even kill people.  I think drug use is bad for the individual & for society, but it's sheer insanity to fill jails with pot smokers while freeing the drunks.
Wow I guess CT must be hardcore on pot. Around these parts individual's caught with pot get nothing more then a citation like you would get for a traffic ticket, and the pot is confiscated. No jail time for pot smokers around here. You would be better off being caught with pot in your vehicle then an open can o'beer.

It isn't just the users, it's also the small time dealers and small time burglars and so on.  I'm not defending any of them, but where's the sense of proportion when someone caught with 4 oz of pot is locked up as a dealer and a drunk driver is released over and over.

I think CT has the most severe drug penalties in the northeast, but gives a lot of leeway to the prosecutors and judges.  Which, of course, means suburban white kids can do some community service and their records are cleared.  If they were even prosecuted in the first place.

CT also boosts the penalties for a drug arrest within 1500 ft of a school or day care.  There are few, if any, spots in my section of town or neighboring Hartford where someone wouldn't be within 1500 ft of one.  Out in the pricier neighborhoods and suburbs, much more can happen 1500 ft beyond the nearest school or day care.

So CT prisons are full of young city residents while drunks drive back to their suburban homes after happy hour.

Sounds to me as if someone feels the system is slightly racist?

I guess I dont understand how your state works, but both crimes (OWI 1st & Possession of Marijiuania) are both misdemeanors which means that the judge and prosecution are allowed the same leeway in both cases. Crime is crime, and in this situation the law finds both to be equally as bad (thus they classify them both as misdemeanors). Obviously some people don't see the problem with possession and use of pot.

Most states have increased pentalties for drug use within a limit of schools and daycare centers. Simple way to avoid these increased pentalties are not to break the law.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think they should make a law forbidding women to drive anything, even a bike. Can you imagine the percentage by which accidents will decrease? Less accidents = lower insurance

I think a better idea would be to make people re-take their driver's test every 5 or 10 years. How many old people are there on the highway going 40 because "they're scared to go faster?" Sheesh. They don't get in many accidents, but they sure CAUSE more that their share.

The poor bear the brunt of the law no matter what their skin color is. But the key point I was making was that an average drunk seems a bigger threat than an average drug offender.

Back