What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ants

Terro ant killer is the best ant killer. All I did is place a few drops in the ant path and in a day or two they will be gone. This stuff is like gold. Don’t get me wrong my nepenthes love having all the ants in their pitchers. But I hate ants. I flushed the Queen out and feed her to my D Admirabilis. So if you have ants give Terro ant killer a try.
Jeff
San Diego Ca

I think I have that, is that some sort of bottle of clear liquid and you put a few drops on a round piece of paper. Too bad, it only attracts sugar ants, the fire ants just ignore it.

ya thats the stuff. Fire ants ignore it. I put it in the path of ants.
Jeff

I don't use that anymore, my neps catch plenty of ants and besides I like ants, they are neutral and they don't go near my food :p

pesticides are nasty. very bad for us humans. I'd keep them out of your house unless absolutely neccessary...they're very carcinogenic.

here's a recipe for carpenter ant control: (courtesy one of my entomology professors)
-1 teaspoon boric acid
-10 teaspoons sugar
-2 cups water

mix it all up and pour into a jar lid or some similar shallow tray, with cotton balls so the ants can get it and get out again.

wait 2 weeks.

oh and killing the queen, all that does is make it so there's no hormone regulation of newborn ants. i.e., they'll all be born queens, fight it over until one rises to the top, and the cycle will continue.

I've heard that tomato leaves work. I haven't tried it myself, but I've talked to people who were quite fond of the results.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Presto @ Dec. 07 2005,11:15)]oh and killing the queen, all that does is make it so there's no hormone regulation of newborn ants. i.e., they'll all be born queens, fight it over until one rises to the top, and the cycle will continue.
From what I understand you've got a founding queen who starts the colony. If she is killed unless the colony adopts another queen(some species will) the colony is over with. The colonies produce reproductives once they reach a certain size but they leave to start new colonies.

My mom likes this stuff and it does well against the Argentine ants we have around here. Bad thing is is that these guys have multiple queens. I myself don't like using pesticides but its her house. Windex does great to confuse ants by removing the trails.

Back