What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals

Boo ya, Saturday done and one final botched. Bring it on.
smile_l_32.gif

Awwwww, I'm sure you didn't botch your final Est.

I've still got all my finals coming up. Monday begins the madness!

My school doesn't have majors - there's no required curriculum so instead you sort of pick-and-choose your credits and if they add up to more than a certain amount in one subject, you're considered to have a focus in that area. So I'm working on a BS in computer science and biology/ecology (depending on how I pick up my remaining life science credits.) This is my third year - I've got at least one more, but if I do two and have a year each of comp. sci. and bio. stuff, then I get Bachelor's of Arts and Sciences, kind of like a two-for-one type of degree.
I've found the math of computer science to be a joy. It's much more fun than calculus or trigonometry or the other grade-school calculational maths. If you're interested in programming and not sure about the math, you should take a look at a book on finite state machines and automata theory. I love that stuff, but I'm also a huge dork. Last year, I did a full year of formal logic and automata theory, and I found it way, way easier than what I'm doing this year. This year I'm taking real, math-for-math's-sake math; abstract algebra, real analysis and set theory. Computer science is much more comforting than all the other math I've done, because I have concrete things like programs and printouts to work with... it's nowhere near as stressful as pen-and-paper mathematics.
But anyways, you really don't need programming skills to get a job developing video games... nowadays there are more than just software developers working on games. Designers, artists, writers, management types - even voice actors are all integral to the business now, and none of them have to touch a lick of code.
~Joe

You have a good point about the gaming industry Seedjar. That's why I'm thinking about maybe getting a degree in something like English so I could possibly be a story writer on a game team.

I'm years past my last finals experience, and I sure remember them! Like JimScott, I still sometimes have those awful dreams where you can't find the classroom, or read your notes. Hope you all did well and enjoy winter break.

My worst finals were for my archaeology classes. Identifying 2000 year old pot shards to within 10 years! Yeeck! But I still enjoyed my time at university.

My midterms are Thursday & Friday. And for some reason I get out at 2 on Wednesday too. No idea why. But I'm fine with that. Hey, that means lunch is earlier so I don't have to miss lunch when I check out at 1 for my orthodontist appointment (getting my braces off finally after over three years either then or the appointment after that)... I was POed for a long time that i had to leave at 1 because I was gonna miss lunch, but then I found out I won't miss lunch and I was haaappy.

I just back from my math final, I just needed 6 corrects out of 28 to get a passing grade. I know I got more than 12+ answers correct
smile.gif
. Now on wednesday, I have another exam...lame
smile_o_32.gif

Good to hear Omar! I took my HTML final today. One final down, four more to go
confused.gif

u guys already having finals.

I won't have my first one till thursday

Whoot, I passed the math class with a B. Now to take the writing objective on wednesday and I didn't even get a study guide, the study guide is a homework....wth is that...lame

must stop looking at pretty Nepenthes pictures and start writing paper due in four hours!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Presto @ Dec. 13 2005,1:06)]must stop looking at pretty Nepenthes pictures and start writing paper due in four hours!!!
That reminds me... When I was a first semester freshman, before I developed good study habits, I did like most students did - I put my papers off until the last minute. I wrote 3 Intro To Philosophy papers in 4 days. Actually, there was much plagiarization going on. Still managed a B in the course.
smile.gif

Hahahaha, that's slick Jim!
biggrin.gif

I'd just like to say that I take way too many study breaks to go look at my plants. Must...stay...focused......but...CPs...are...so...cool........

Another not-so-proud anecdote: My fifth semester was a particulary rough one for me. I was an Environmental Science major and the year prior I had to write a paper for one of courses (Environmental Geology), that was about Hot Springs and Geysers. I was taking a course (Science and Technology) that had remote similarity to it and also had to write a paper. I had like no time to write it and study for finals at the same time. However, the way the prof set things up was to drop the lowest grade. So I submitted my Hot Springs and Geysers paper, with the idea that it will fail miserably, yet be dropped as the lowest grade. My plan worked, but the prof made this comment about being a great paper for the Envrionmental Geology - but not his course. Ouch! It was like he knew.....
confused.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Okay, everybody knows that "finals" week is not so bad in comparision to what some people face in the "real" world. Actually right now, I would prefer to be back there in those fairly care free days, of classes and finals week and not here in the "professional" world.

The BSBA wasn't so bad compared to what they expected in graduate school. Course I guess when you have nothing to compare it too, well it could be the end of the world. After boot camp, I figured there wasn't anything as bad as that, so my college years were spent pretty much maximizing their enjoyment, and I even graduated on time.

So, I agree with Jim, it is a little bit of both, discipline and fun, and not indulging too much in either. Enjoy High School and College to its MAX!!

Anecdotes of my current freshman year: I write on desks & other school property, I have permanent markers in school, I always have my pocket knife anyway (I always have that.. never know when I might have to break into my own house with the blade or need a screwdriver or a saw or a corkscrew or a bottle opener or a can opener or a needle eye or a nail file... school people never know unless you take it out anyway), I use at least one hall pass every day, I always have my CD player and sometimes listen to it in class (I concentrate better and work faster if I'm rockin' out, don't you know... *innocent*.. actually I do), I used the library computers to come on here once, I tell my 4th period teacher I'm going to the bathroom when really I'm going to wander around & get a soda, broke the dress code a few ways (wore the hood on my hoodie over my head until I got yelled at by the scary dude, wore a shirt with the rebel flag on it [don't know about now, but that used to be against the dress code there]), I chew gum basically any time I want...what else... I dunno. It's the life.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]After boot camp, I figured there wasn't anything as bad as that, so my college years were spent pretty much maximizing their enjoyment, and I even graduated on time.
Boot camp... it's fun. Actually it was the Central Florida Law Enforcement Explorer Academy, which is a glorified name for boot camp + classes... yeah... and I have knee problems, so the last week and a half was the worst shin splints and/or knee pain ever.... and I now have a nice permanent scar from the first day when somebody slammed into me & the asphalt removed a deep round peice of flesh from my elbow (blood running down to my fingertips, but it never hurt... that was weird) but it was all good. Going next year for phase 2.

You're a rebel Tanya, hahahaha! I wish I was that cool back in high school
laugh.gif

Actually, come to think of it, I'm STILL not that cool!
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Dec. 13 2005,9:26)]Actually, come to think of it, I'm STILL not that cool!  
smile_n_32.gif
I was never cool!
smile_n_32.gif
Still a nerd!
smile_m_32.gif

LLeopardGGecko, on the issue of what major to get into the game industry with, I have some info for you. In my 13 years in the game industry, I've hired over a hundred people, so I actually know about this.

While there are jobs in music, voice, writing, design, producing, and management, the VAST bulk of employees are either programmers or artists - and those people move on to the other positions (well, not music.) Anyway, a computer science degree is what you want if you want to be a programmer. Later on you can decide further specialization, but that's the basic degree. If you are more of an artist/animator, your college major or any degree is of much less importance. We've never hired a singe artist based on education or degree. However, you should probably emphasize your Fine Arts skills as much as possible. 90+% of artists these days need 3D-modelling skills. 3D Stuido Max and Maya are the leading modelling programs. Know them inside and out. Traditional animation, figure drawing, and general art skills will get you places, too. Generally, the good artists we hire have many sketchbooks filled with doodles and pictures. It takes PRACTICE more than "education" to be a good artist.

Capslock

Yep i understand I am now in my junior year in highschool. And trying to do projects and homework in my room sometimes doesnt work as i will see the nepenthes hanging in my room and ill be like hmm. I think im going to check on them. especially for studying for test in which i dont enjoy one bit.
smile_n_32.gif

Back