What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I suck at gathering seed

I have a ton of sundews that flower all the time, yet I can't seem to get any seed from them. I must be doing something wrong!

I'll usually let the plant flower, self-pollinate, and I wait until the whole stalk is brownish/blackish. I then cut the stalk off and shake it over some white paper to get some seed and...NOTHING! I'll even try crumbling the pods and the most seed I'll get is just a few stragglers.

Can someone please tell me the right technique when it comes to collecting seeds from my plants?!

do you check inside the buds? if you just shake the stalk you're gonna get just as many seeds as coins from a closed bag... but if you open the bag, and rummage inside it...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'll even try crumbling the pods and the most seed I'll get is just a few stragglers.

I've been collecting seed for only a year now, but based on my limited experience it could be one of several things:

1. The "pod" is actually the dry remnants of an unfertilized flower--in this case, there are no seed.

2. Your plant may be under-fertile and produces small quantity of seed per pod.

3. You waited a little too long and the pods opened before you collected them. In this case, you should be seeing little seedlings soon in your terrarium! This has happened to me a few times.

4. You are mistaking the seed for crushed pieces of the pod. Drosera seed are really small and easily mistaken for debris.

Hope you have better luck in the future!
smile.gif

Yes indeed chloroplast... when I first gathered my seeds i thought they were just dry pieces of debris
smile.gif

Some Droseras do not self pollinate although many do. D. binata is one that needs to be cross pollinated to produce seed. Once your seed pod is growing and has turned black the best thing to do is to just gently bend it over and shake it onto a piece of paper. If nothing comes out then the seed is not quite ready yet and the seedpod can be left to mature a little longer. Once the seedpod is cut, if the seed is not ready you have lost it. when you do finally get seed it looks like a pile of black dust.

Does anyone have any experience gathering seed from P. lusitanica ? I have a few flowers coming up right now and I really want to make sure I get seed from them.

Be very careful with ripe seed pod removal. One time I was just trying to pluck the stalk and the pod burst in my fingers. Next time I'll use scissors.

P. lusitanica is easy. After the flower dries, the pod will start turning brown. Once it has started changing color, gently squeeze the pod each day, or a few times a day. If it pops when you squeeze it, it is done. Cut the stalk, whith out letting go of the pod. Then do what you want with it.

I dump the seeds on to a sheet of printer paper first, removing debris, then I'll pack them up for shipping.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Dec. 15 2005,5:13)]Thanks guys.

P. lusitanica  self pollinates, right?
Yes, it does.

yep.
And It's been awhile since mine flowered but maybe it was an orange color when they would pop with a squeeze.

~Edit~ Ok I am abit slow on the draw ~Edit~

Back