What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone ever tried using heat packs?

I came across this link today, and I though, why not use it for shipping tropical cps in winter? Has anybody tried these before? (Even though they only work for about 60 hours.)

-Ben

I haven't but have heard about a lot of people's experience with using them for orchids.  The nurseries have figured out how to use them and have perfected a proper balance between heat pack and insulation.  But there are lots of horror stories of people receiving boxes of cooked or frozen orchids from traders who thought they did it right but were wrong.  Many orchid traders just avoid shipping plants in the coldest weather and double box & insulate well for "mild" winter weather shipping.

I received plants with these used. It worked very well. The packs were against the edge of the box, then insulation around the plant that was in the center of the box.

Why not... that's how tropical fish are shipped.

Yeah. I just think that it would be nicer if I didn't have to wait til spring to get plants shipped out.

-Ben

Using heat packs works wonders if properly used when packing wehter its plants or live reptiles or anything that cant take the cold. If using these heat packs depending on what size box your using one per box if its tiny or 2 to 3 for a mediums size box, what you do is have your box ready to go prepare with styrafoam against the inside walls then place the heat pack, which i sometimes tape the corners of it to the foam so that it dont jar around durring transit and then use like waded newspaper or other packing and carefully place the plants in the middle on top the packing then finsih covering them with the rest of the packing it should help to retain some heat enough to stop plants from geting overly cold or freezing. I have shiped many reptiles durring the winter and although there not plants they can and do freez without warmth durring transit. But unlike plants we also ship reps Fedex, Airborne or fly them over night some take 2 days. As long as the heat packs dont come into contact with the plants they will do very well durring winter shiping.
You can find heat packs with diffrent lasting Hrs on them at WalMart, or sporting goods stores for a cheap price.
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Why not... that's how tropical fish are shipped.

I've always wondered how fish and other live creatures (like say, frogs) are shipped through the mail. Wouldn't they get all bumped around?
smile_h_32.gif

Mine were in a small styrafoam box and in a small plastic bag not nearly full of water. They were crammed into styrafoam, and there was heat packs on the lid of the box, which I guess forced warm air onto the fish. But, the fish are ok now, and they even have made babies.
smile.gif

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Dec. 12 2005,1:43)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Why not... that's how tropical fish are shipped.

I've always wondered how fish and other live creatures (like say, frogs) are shipped through the mail. Wouldn't they get all bumped around?
smile_h_32.gif
The fish also drugged a bit, mostly with dyes that are to prevent bacterial infections. It's not unusual to be shipped a bag of 300 platys in a relatively small bag. Can you say sardines?

Back