What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jobquest

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Some of you know that earlier this year my wife lost her job. She makes more at what she does than what I do as a laboratory analyst. So the gameplan was to have her do a job search and procure a job, while I look where she has strong leads. Her search spanned PA, NY, Ohio, Michigan, MD, and Minnesota. One by one each prospective possibility failed -except one. She was finally offered a position with the East Aurora Wesleyan Church, as Children's Minister. She had to start work in mid-October and took 3 of our kids with her. I had my oldest son in Reading, PA. He was finishing up his semester at the local community college and working p/t. I was doing both searching and working. Our lease ran out at the end of November, following the move of most of our stuff to East Aurora. Aaron and I had to stay in Reading for another 11 days, for him to finish out his semester and he stayed with a friend of the family, while I stayed with a co-worker (also my replacement at the lab).

In the meantime, I have been doing an online search and have had a few phone interviews, including one in person one. So far I don't have anything set in stone, but I do have a few strong prospects. There are two temp job placement agencies (Aerotek & Kelly Engineering), who coincidently have me in the process for the same company, but for different positions. I just had a phone interview for one position and a background check. The next step is an aptitude exam.

Also, I have been "courting" another environmental laboratory in the Buffalo area. I responded to 4 advertizements so far and have had progress made with one - Metals Prep / Mercury Analysis. Oddly enough, this is exactly what I did with the lab I just left ("kicking and screaming"). I couldn't have asked for a better job offering. I had a 70 minute phone interview 2 weeks ago and did the usual follow ups. Today, while getting caught up with correspondence at the local library, I get handed a phone from a librarian, with my wife on the line. The gal at the lab called and spoke to my daughter (fruitflygurl) who relayed the message to my son, who called my wife who called the library (I can't hide!) so now I have a personal interview for next Tuesday. I would give up half my fiefdom if I could nail this job - or at least that Drosophyllum seedling!

Good Luck. But from the sounds of it, you will have to work to blow it. After that long of a phone interview, the callback shouldn't be too tough.

Best of luck to you, JimScott! Me and DH will keep our fingers and toes crossed for your success!

Goodluck Jim! I take the seedling if you get it
smile_m_32.gif

Awesome news, Jim! I'm glad to hear that you've made progress, that job seems made for you. The best of luck to you, buddy!

Good Luck Mr Jim Scott. After taking the summer off to have time with my kids, I found a friendlier company to work with in September. It has been an absolutely GREAT CHANGE! Course, when I was fired in May, the outlook seemed much more bleak!
smile.gif

Keep your chin up Jim, and I'll keep you in my prayers.
Fortunately your security does not lay in a vocation, as so many people, but in an everlasting God.

Thank you for your support and prayers - again! I received a call from the lab I hope will hire me, for an in person interview for next Tuesday.

Justin, I hear ya!

Good luck Jim. Just remember though, no job is good enough to give up a Drosophyllum seedling for.
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (indymental @ Dec. 16 2005,2:51)]Good luck Jim. Just remember though, no job is good enough to give up a Drosophyllum seedling for.
smile_m_32.gif
Unless it's working in a greenhouse full of all kinds of CPs for the same or better pay as you get at the lab
smile_m_32.gif
!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ Dec. 18 2005,1:59)]Unless it's working in a greenhouse full of all kinds of CPs for the same or better pay as you get at the lab  
smile_m_32.gif
!
Uh, Steve?  It's time to wake up buddy!!  Have a nice nap?  
smile_n_32.gif
  The job sounds like a dream as it is jim--good luck and my prayers are also with you!  
smile_o_32.gif
yeah, that's me reverently praying...

Thanks, Joe, Steve, Sheila! That would be the best Christmas present ever!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JBL @ Dec. 18 2005,7:24)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ Dec. 18 2005,1:59)]Unless it's working in a greenhouse full of all kinds of CPs for the same or better pay as you get at the lab
smile_m_32.gif
!
Uh, Steve? It's time to wake up buddy!! Have a nice nap?
smile_n_32.gif
The job sounds like a dream as it is jim--good luck and my prayers are also with you!
smile_o_32.gif
yeah, that's me reverently praying...
Wake from a dream like that!? I don't think so!
icon2.gif

I'm tossing some good luck up your way. I hope you land the job you want. I know relocating can be quite the life upheaval. Hopefully it will all work out for the best and you will find yourself happier than you've ever been.

I'll keep fingers and toes crossed for you!

So I spent another hour with the interviewer and I think it went well. But I also have some competition. She said she would let me know by the end of next week.

Hope it's good news at the end of the week. Got my fingers, toes and eyes crossed for you
icon2.gif
!

Although I felt that the in person interview went well, I got the rejection letter in the mail on Saturday.

However, I am in the process of being employed by a temp-to-hire company to do integrity testing for undeground storage tanks. I have been through the a reference check, background check, phone interview, aptitude exam, and today a physical / drug screen. This will involve mega-travelling and if it comes to fruition, I'll be looking for surrogate a CP caretaker - probably the downstairs tenant.

Awww. Sorry to hear the job didn't work out, Jim.
smile_h_32.gif

Sorry to hear you didn't get that job Jim. I still have ya in my prayers!

Unfortunate Jim. Hope this new one turns out better.

Chin up,
Zac

Back