What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Google adds on the forum

• Thread starter cool85k5
  • Start date
Whats up with the google adds on terraforums?There are no commercial sales in the trading post allowed,but now we have them advertised right on the forum.

Jerry

Ya I noticed those to. And they're hardly relevant to this site.
What's going on?

Zac

Maybe Google is paying petflytrap.com to have their adds on the site?

-Ben

Better that advertising pays for the forum than us!
smile_m_32.gif

Guess my Firefox/adblock programs are doing a good job... I havn't seen what you are refering to... hehe

PFT probably needed a little $ to support these forums so Google Adsense might pay for the costs. If you don't want to see them and have Firefox, use Adblock plus.

~ Brett

They've been there for most of this week. I didn't realize they were new as I haven't been on the forums much the last 3 months.
smile_n_32.gif

Yup, I noticed them a while back. I'm glad that they've been placed in a manner that makes them not very invasive. Furthermore, they're germane to the topics of the forum (generally speaking.)

Blocking ads is great and all, but seeing as it supports TF, I a) wont be blocking these b) will click on them from time to time: gotta give back to the great folks that supply us with this forum.

Don't be surprised if they suddenly disappear one day.

Google have a habit of not paying out if they feel the links are being used too much, citing they are being abused.

Being used too much?? Isn't that the point?

You'd think so, but if they tot up the hits and think there are too many for the size of the site, or the number of members on the forum, they claim somebody is just clicking repeatedly to get the money and refuse to pay out.

That's exactly what happened on the CPUK forum.

Hey All,

the Google ads are a test for about 3 months. We're getting feedback and are also considering paid sponsorships rather than generic Google Ads.

Why?

We're going to be splitting the forums off from Petflytrap totally. Not sharing server space, not sharing anything. That being said, they have to support themselves. It's certainly not in an effort to make $$, but rather an effort to subsidize the costs of operation (dedicated server, etc).

Thanks for the clarification Phil

Back