What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I got a 250 watt Sun Systems metal halide light~!

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
for christmas! i'll post pics later.

if anyone is interested in my used 440 watt VHO fluorescent light system, pm me and maybe we can work something out since i don't need it anymore.

correction! it's a 250 watt high pressure sodium.

What is the power comsumtion for the metal halide light?

Jerry

my bad. it's a high pressure sodium light.

it says 120 volt 60 hz 250 watt

The one you just got?

Jerry

yes the one i just got today.

Have fun with that - they're especially great with Nepenthes and Drosera, as I'm doing with my 400W HPS.
Cheers
Amori

fantastic! i read that HPS were good for flowering but not so good for foliage growth. are you using a regular lamp or a conversion lamp to produce MH light on a HPS ballast? is it work spending the extra cash on a conversion lamp to will a regular HPS lamp be ok? it'll be my primary light source.

The only downside to HPS bulbs are the unsightly colour. I currently use a Growlux bulb with added blue (for plants), and the plants (mainlyNepenthes, among others) have responded very well to this. They'll grow well under regular HPS bulbs (very red), but the difference is evident in the overall health of the plants about a month after switching to a bluer bulb.
I personally cannot afford to use MH here in the UK, as the bulbs are overwhelmingly expensive! I've also yet to discover a reliable domestic source for a conversion bulb as well.
I keep my light just under 2' away from the tops of my plants, and though they did initially show tanning (for about a week), they're growing extremely well now, each new leaf becoming more robust with superb colouration. As my setup is in a very open position, heat has never been a problem (2mm plexiglas lid, and I like to keep my room unheated) - in fact heat is still lacking in my enclosure!

Good luck and have fun, HIDs are really worth every penny spent and about to be spent!
laugh.gif
smile_n_32.gif

Cheers
Amori

so the growlux is a conversion bulb, yes? do you have a website so i can find a source in america.

Back