What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

northiana,ampullarias,ferns,orchids

I've heard every now and then that a store has them but I've never seen one. I am SO curious! Surely the smell can't be THAT bad if they taste so good. I heard the consistency is like custard...sort of.

Those things do not taste good. It's an aquired taste, if you can get past the smell which actualy accounts for more of what you taste than what your taste buds detect.

well,in my family not everyone like durians.My brother is a step further -he dislikes eggs too
smile_k_ani_32.gif
. Generally durians were much love by every nationality here.There were some expatriates whom i saw sitting by roadside stall holding and eating durians and at the same time discussing the flavors:).They have so much fun.

we have many different species of durians.I prefered wild durians,have thin flesh but no pungent smell,more creamy.It has no demand such that no body will pick it for sale.When we go jungle trekking we would pick up any we come across
smile.gif

You know, buying plants that are collected this way is supporting ILLEGAL collecting and also by posting them pics you are doing commercal for these guys..

Dont you understand this?

And why is it that nobody HERE understands this?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jonte_rm @ Jan. 15 2006,4:23)]You know, buying plants that are collected this way is supporting ILLEGAL collecting and also by posting them pics you are doing commercal for these guys...

Dont you understand this?

And why is it that nobody HERE understands this?
Pretty good for your first post!
smile_m_32.gif

As much as I am against field collecting, I don't think that one or two plants will do any harm. Its the big things like construction work that do the damage. As far as the 'advertising' goes I doubt anyone is dense enough to take a plane halfway round the world to get a few Neps, which they probably can't bring back anyway.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
smile.gif

Yes one or two plants will do harm... Because if I go and buy 3 field collected plants, the man that sold them to me thinks "Good, I got money, why dont I go in to the forrest and collect 5 more?"..

And when he has done that another guy is buying from him and he go and collect more from the forrest.. And it is all started...

cheers // Johannes

I think that while protecting plants is important, it is equally necessary to consider the plights of these people who sell the plants. Usually, these sales represent their livelihoods. It is perhaps all too easy to think that RM0.30 is peanuts to people, but it is equally true that some people live by these amounts of money on a daily basis. At times like these, there is a divorce between what the law advocates and what the people on the ground are capable of obeying. I suspect the local authorities know about this, and have chosen to keep an eye shut because they too can understand the difficulties of life in those villages.

I am by no means saying that plant conservation is unnecessary - on the contrary, I am in full support of it. All that I am saying is that instead of making sweeping statements which convey the message that field collection is wrong per se, one should have some consideration of what it is that is the situation there.
smile.gif

So... Are you buying girls to? Because they have to live and earn money..

I know that mayby they are doing it to survive...And perhaps we all should do the same if we where in their situation..

BUT...Give them money.. Give money to organisations that helps them..Dont buy things from them...I mean... If you see a poor man that have catched a monkey in the rainforrest..I hope you dont buy that because the man have to survive..

Dont missunderstand me..Cause I understand your point ebeyonder...

You know, I find the first sentence of your comment fairly offensive.

My point simply is this: some people do what they do because they need the money. I think it is a bit naive to imagine that there will be "organisations" around to help these people. There is sometimes a disconnection between the lofty aims of these organisations and what actually happens on the ground.

All that I am saying is that, to someone in a developed nation like you or I, plant conservation may appear to be very important. However, to someone else in a rainforest village in the middle of nowhere, would he care so much for the conservation of plants at the expense of his family?

Perhaps I am painting a very extreme picture. But it is important, in the inter-connected world we live in, to realise that perspectives of "wrongness" will differ between different cultures. IP laws are another good example. While countries such as the US have argued for the enforcement of IP rights, countries such as China have been slow, in practice, to do so. There is a discord not between the desire to obey laws but what the law actually is in the first place.

"All that I am saying is that, to someone in a developed nation like you or I, plant conservation may appear to be very important. However, to someone else in a rainforest village in the middle of nowhere, would he care so much for the conservation of plants at the expense of his family?"

Ofcource he dont care so much fore the plants... And I am understanding why he is collecting all the plants and try to sell them... But I dont understand why peoples that have so much money so they can write here in the forum is supporting ILLEGAL collecting... Do you ?

I don't know what you are trying to say.

I am not so good at english..Sorry..

I give a new try... I am saying that I am understanding that a poor man in middle of nowhere is collecting plants and try to sell them. But I dont understand why people that have money is buying them when they can buy plants that are "legal"...

Why would someone buy an "illegal" plant, for one:

to smoke it
smile_n_32.gif
sorry just a joke.

On a more serious note, we are humans and we are GREEDY
Greed is the one of the most powerful motivators of all. Would I ratherpay $10 for a mature field collected N. aristolochioides or spend $50+ for a TC clone. Well I think you know the answer to that. Point is, people buy, more are collected, without a strong governmental influence/public support you aren't going to do anything. Usually the plants go to good homes so its not like they are dying off.

Johannes, one of Sarawak's Forest conservation law stated all species of nepenthes here are TOTALLY PROTECTED ie no collecting,planting and selling.With this law it means Sarawak (the only state in Malaysia) nobody is allowed to possess pitchers plant.

There is one nursery here that is selling nepenthes commonly found in Sarawak, and species from philippines ( esp.truncata and ventricosa ).when i enquire the legality of possessing one the lady said it is fine so long as i don't bring overseas. Truncata and ventricosa are imported species.Does the law here covers imported species.Does it make sense.The status is rather confused.

Those sellers in Serikin consist a handful of locals but many are from Kalimantan Indonesia who cross over doing trade only during weekends. I was told many of the exotic plants were from kalimantan which are also found in abundance locally.

Overall we have plenty of tropical neps. Gracilis and mirabilis are common along roadside grown among bushes. It will not disappear 'cos of buying one or two plants for collection but the main danger will be from gov't development and foreign investment.

"It will not disappear 'cos of buying one or two plants for collection but the main danger will be from gov't development and foreign investment."

If everybody thought that. It will be very few plants left in the wild...

I will say that buying illegal plants and gov't development and foreign investment will work very well togehter...

very good point here.When the buying stop so the selling will ie When all the overseas growers and collectors stop buying so the local seller and world at large will ceased.:D

I believe that if I buy an illegally collected plant, then I am as guilty of field collecting as the person that collected the plant in the first place. It is hypocritical to say I am against field collecting then turn around and buy a field collected plant. It's one of the few things that to me is black and white. Either I am against field collecting of CPs or I am against it. Whether it's a nep in Sarawak or a VFT in North Carolina. Buying field collected CPs is supporting field collection period.

I agree and also by posting pics on big nice, cheap plants on an open forum is worse. Because then it is commercial FOR other that this is WHAT you can do to get hold of plants like this.

Others may follow this, it is like showing big muscles and first price bulit by steroids or very expensive house and car bought by money for selling drugs.

OTHERS may also want to do the same thing as you are doing, by reading othersa post I can see that some now wants to do it because of your postings here.

IF you have children, wich I doubt you will learn that they will look at you and do the same things as you do, you should try to make an EXAMPLE.

Its the same thing here, dont tell and show all people that how nice it is to buy illegal collected plants.

Just because you think the plant "comes to a nice home" it doesnt mean that alla other buyers will take good care of theirs.

And you have just opened "that door" on two forums.

If you want to help poor people give them money instead of buying illegal collected plants.

Back