What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rotten weather

I have to tell you. Living in south Florida is wonderful. But even in paradise we have our bad days. I recently received a mini cp collection from SarraceniaScott (thank you) and a few plants from other members. You work hard, you tend to them , you water them, and you feed them ex girlfriends whenever possible. So my plants were doing pretty well.

Now my work schedule is far from normal and on occassion I even work on the weekend. This past Saturday is was one of those days.

This Saturday South Florida had winds that gusted up to 45mph. My plants got devestated. Those that weren't blown over have serious wind burn. They have dried even though I have rewatered and some of the leaves have split or kinked or broken from flapping in the wind. I am not certain how they are going to do.

I have tried as much plant first aid as possible but alas I think some are to young and tender to survive.
Here are some of the plants before the devestation.
http://65.12.216.193/images/plantlife/carnivorous/index.html

If any of you can recommend care and treatment idea for these and my nepenthe mirandas. I would appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Tell me about it! I live on a hill on the top floor of a large apartment complex. We regularly get 35-40 mph gusts. The recent storms up here in the northwest blew my greenhouse clear in half, and tore several of the tarps off - not to mention knocking all of my seedling shelves over! But at least it's wet here; none of the plants seemed too phased by exposure.
You may want to try getting some Superthrive from your local garden store (or you can find it online.) Superthrive is mostly B vitamins, and it helps curb shock and encourage root growth in plants. Otherwise, I don't have much advice for you. Raising plants is tough... sometimes there's just nothing you can do.
Sorry to hear of your trouble - hang in there!
~Joe

I don't think there is a person here who couldn't relate a personal plant disaster. Its part of growing plants unfortunately. But many plants are able to recover. If the plants are totally dead, in time you might get new growth. Or you can do leave cuttings if the plant can be propagated that way.

I feel for you. It sure is disheartening when things like that happen.
smile_h_32.gif

Back