What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone here grow cacti?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Jan. 18 2006,9:08)]So is Trichocereus spp easy to find in stores? Do you think I'd be able to find it at Home Depot?
They're usually popular as landscaping plants, and are quite common, despite their containing appreciable amounts of mind-altering chemicals (but that's not important right now).

I'd try Home Depot, and if that proves fruitless, there are countless mail-order suppliers that actually sell them as stock plants for dirt cheap. The one I'd recommend most is T. pachanoi as it's easy to work with, very vigorous and can be found for sale anywhere online (eBay, for example).

Good luck!

Cheers
Amori

Thanks Amori. You rock
cool.gif

Don't keep it dry all winter. The stock, which is probably hylerocerus, is a tropical, epiphytic cactus that inhabits moist environments. It is still good to reduce water in winter a bit though

So 80 watts is all it takes to grow cacti indoors? Off to Lowes I shall go.

-Rail

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CopcarFC @ Jan. 19 2006,2:34)]So 80 watts is all it takes to grow cacti indoors? Off to Lowes I shall go.

No, not quite Rail. If you want to grow cacti and succulents indoors, you'll probably need at least 400 if not 1000 watts (also depends from species to species). Not that they won't survive, but they won't thrive under 80W either.
smile_m_32.gif

Cheers
Amori

I just got a Christmas Cactus. Are you saying that it would thrive better in my grow chamber with my other CP's, then on top of my dresser getting indirect light from my window?

Christmas Cactus (Zygocactus truncatus, or Schlumbergera) is an epiphyte in its natural habitat (Brazil) and usually needs peaty soil and shade.

Cheers
Amori

Plus, to make them flower in winter, they tend to like cooler, darker days.

-Ben

Correct. I gave my catus a few dark days in their chamber, turned back on the light and they are flowering beatifully.

I have possibly 60 to 70 catus and succulents, but I do not keep grafted any longer. I know that there are plenty of host, but I can not stand the idea of destroying the one to have the other.

Back