What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don't forget to register your cell phone

• Thread starter PlantAKiss
  • Start date

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Just an FYI...

In 31 days, cell phone numbers will be released to telemarketers.  You will be responsible for paying for any calls you receive (which really sucks by the way).  That's definitely not fair!  Aaanyway...to register, go to:

http://www.donotcall.gov

OR

Call the following number from your cell phone: 888-382-1222. It will only take a minute of your time. It blocks your number for five (5) years.

I think you have to be on the registry for 31 days before its effective.

I registered my home phone a long time ago but never registered my cell number since it wasn't available to telemarketers.  Soon it will be.

Get your cell phone registered so you won't be losing your cell phone time to sales harrassment.

Thanks for the info PlantAKiss. I'll definitely have to do this.

Why do you have to pay for the calls?
Direct marketing sucks. Why can't you tell your provider NOT to give away your numbers?

Yeah this has been all over the news here. Cell numbers are not being sold. And it is not legal to telemarket to a known cell #.

As soon as you tell them it is a cell # they are supposed to remove it from the call list. Also works, if you tell them your home number is actually a cell number.

Well thank you Dyflam.
smile.gif
I passed this info on because I received it from my supervisor at work. I thought she had received this information from someone in corporate headquarters with a directive to pass it on to all employees.

Sorry 'bout that folks!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gawd_oOo @ Jan. 18 2006,11:54)]Yeah this has been all over the news here. Cell numbers are not being sold. And it is not legal to telemarket to a known cell #.

As soon as you tell them it is a cell # they are supposed to remove it from the call list. Also works, if you tell them your home number is actually a cell number.
Ok I guess Im an athority on this one here since I work in a phone room and have been thru the Do Not Call List training twice.

We can call cell phones if the numbers are given to us. It is not illegal, for us anyways I'm not sure about other phone rooms though. See what we call off are entry forms that are filled out to win cars or vacations.When the DNC came out it really messed with us for a minute but now if you ever see the entry forms (Leads) there is now a place asking for your signature. These are Permission Based Leads. Once you sign those you give us permission to call whatever numbers are provided on the slip. It doesnt even matter if the numbers are already on the DNC it opens a window for a certain amout of time for us to call before we can no longer call it again.

So even if you do register those cell phones if you sign the bottom of those leads you will be called. When you do get an unwanted call tell then specifically to take you off the list. Telling them never to call again or whatever does not work you have to ask specifally. Once you ask to be taken off the list tell them you want a letter sent to you stating that they have done this, they have to do it. It normally takes up to 72 hours (with our company anyways) for the DNC to be updated and your back off it. You may want to ask them how long it is for thier company. DONT FILL OUT ANY MORE STUFF! If you get a call after the amount of time given speak with your lawyer. Its an $11,000 fine if you can prove they called after your request.

By the way you can also thank your banks and credit card people since they do sell your info... not to us though.

Who gets the fine money?? The government or the person who got the call?

I did some telemarkting a few years back, we were always told to immediatly remove the cell numbers.

Could be WI regulations tho, I think they are more strict here then national regulation or it could have just been company policy.

I am one of the people that like to have fun with telemarketers. If it is a lawn care Co. tell them you live in an apartment. gutters/siding tell them thats what you do too. Then again my computer is always on, so while they are going through the opening schpeal <-(huked on foniks spelling) I go to google and try and learn enough about there product service that I can sem somewhat knowledgable on the subject.

PAK you get the money although Im sure your lawyer will want some also.

Oh and Gawd Im not sure on the rules go with all phone rooms and cell phones I'm just up with my companys policy. And since the people fill out entry forms and sign giving us permission to call whatever phone number is on there, we will do it no matter if its a home phone, cell phone or even a work number.

I registered everything my cell, dads cell and the house number. Frig it!

one of my housemate's professors, who is a lawyer, said that this IS going to happen, and to, yes, register your cell phones. better safe than sorry, I say!

Well, that's what I figured. It can't hurt. Anything to keep the telemarketers at bay. (Sorry Shelly!)
smile.gif

Back