What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new pup pics

Here is my new Doberman I have had her for a few months now.

4d2aa115.jpg

04dc5e87.jpg

thanks
-Jeremiah-

what a cutie!

Beautiful Dobie
smile_m_32.gif
Reminds me of mine that I used to have. Had to have her put down due to pancreatis
smile_h_32.gif

I have a rat terrier now
smile.gif

Awww, i like this breed, i especially like its pointed ears. Whatcha name her?

She's a beaut! And look at that posture...

A friend of mine is going to give me min pinscher puppy but I'm not sure if it'll get along with my cats
smile_h_32.gif

I love dogs! If you treat your Doberman right it doesn't have to be a killer. Everyone I know who's had one they were very gentle dogs (until you knocked on the door-or table just for fun!). I always thought female dogs were smarter than males, males always seem like they've got ADD!
smile_n_32.gif

Just got my old kitty now though, tried to bring a puppy home to replace my cat's best friend my big black lab Abigail (they used to sleep coiled up together) but it didn't work out like I'd hoped.

What a magnificent Dobie.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Most male dobies seem like they have ADD
Male dobies act like hyperactive teenagers until they are at least a year old but do not mistake that for a lack of intelligence.  It only took me one try to teach him to run out and get the newspaper.  However, if it was raining...he's no dummy.
He kept grabbing my large, newly planted tree, uprooting it, and dragging it over to the side yard.  After three times I just planted it where he left it.  He was satisfied and never bothered it again.
He hated cats that came in his fenced in yard.  Moose 7/cats 0

Beautiful dobe! We had one growing up named Shadow. Sadly, we also had an Irish setter, and they did not get along. When Shadow passed, my parents rescued a dobe that my sis named Xenon. Why? Because when the dog passed gas, it had no odor! Now that's a great dog!
smile_n_32.gif

He is lovely. I think those ears are great, they make a tough dog look soppy
biggrin.gif

Indy,
Yes, it's a beautiful dog, but cropping a dog's ears is illegal in the UK, and quite rightly so.
confused.gif

T.

Jeremiah, beautiful Dobe, nice show crop on the ears and nice slender face with good well place almond eyes, very intellagent. Nice large firm bone structure, i use to raise dobes but mine were working bloodlines with heavier body structure shorter croped ears and much wider heads. Very nice pics...Thanks for sharring.
smile_m_32.gif

Have his ears been cropped to make them stand up like that  
smile_k_ani_32.gif

quite right it should be illegal to crop their ears as should be tail docking, which is something else they are trying to make illegal over here. If they didn't need parts of their ears or tails they would be born without them. Anyone who thinks they should be cropped should have their own ears done first to see how it feels, maybe that would change their minds.
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (indymental @ Jan. 31 2006,1:48)]If they didn't need parts of their ears or tails they would be born without them. Anyone who thinks they should be cropped should have their own ears done first to see how it feels, maybe that would change their minds.
confused.gif
As a genetisist I have to argue against that for the simple reason that they are not allowed to evolve to that point naturally thanks to the selective breeding enforced on them at the hands of man.

There are very good reasons for cropping the ears of some dogs, Dobies in particular are very prone to persistent, debilitating ear infections if their ears are not cropped. So it is not always just for looks as many anti-cropping advocates would have you believe (not pointing at anyone specific here.) That said I did not get my Dobies ears cropped and do not believe in the practice myself. I "pay" for it by having to be extrememly vigilent with her ears and clean them weekly but that does not bother me overly much

@ Swords
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Everyone I know who's had one they were very gentle dogs (until you knocked on the door-or table just for fun!)

I can vouch for that but go one further. Mine is so mild mannered and gentle that one time, just before bed, she heard me throw the dead-bolton the door and erupted in the characteristic Dobie bark that puts fear in the hearts of all rational men. At this point I was fearful that I was going to become victim to my own pet but after a few moments I realized that she was no where to be seen (though still barking in earnest.) Walking back to the bedroom I stepped in something warm and wet. Turns out her "attack dog" response is to bark as loud as all get out but to run in the opposite direction while losing bladder control and hiding under her pillow. What a wimp
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Pyro @ Jan. 31 2006,4:06)]There are very good reasons for cropping the ears of some dogs, Dobies in particular are very prone to persistent, debilitating ear infections if their ears are not cropped.
That does not excuse cropping a dogs ears, it is barbaric. If your dog is one that suffers from recurring ear infections and there is no other way then maybe then, it should be considered as an option, but not all dobies will suffer from ear infections and so it is not necessary. You wouldn't have your newborn babies tonsils adenoids and appendix removed at birth because there is a possibility they will cause problems later on would you?

I'm not trying to knock anyone who does this, I'm just trying to understand why it is necessary.

Jeremiah, she is a beautiful dobie! Love that second pic. She looks very regal.

And dobies are great dogs. They can be quite gentle if reared properly. They can also be TRAINED to be good guard dogs but its training that makes a good guard dog, not aggression. I've never known a "mean" dobie. They are protective by nature but not mean.

As for cropping and docking. I can see both sides. Most of the time those practices have roots in practical applications...its not for appearances sake. My dog's tail is docked which is standard for his breed. I had no choice in the matter. Its done when they are 3 days old and is a centuries-old practice. It was done originally because using the tail was the only way an owner could get his dog out of an animal hole once the animal went to ground. Fox terriers don't back down from a challenge. They would stay down in a fox or badger hole until one or the other was killed and people didn't want to lose their dogs. So they hauled them out by the tail.

I'm an animal lover and don't agree with "alterations" for appearances sake. And yeah, it would be nice if nobody cropped or docked but that's not going to happen since its written into breed specifications.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (indymental @ Jan. 31 2006,5:49)]That does not excuse cropping a dogs ears, it is barbaric. If your dog is one that suffers from recurring ear infections and there is no other way then maybe then, it should be considered as an option, but not all dobies will suffer from ear infections and so it is not necessary. You wouldn't have your newborn babies tonsils adenoids and appendix removed at birth because there is a possibility they will cause problems later on would you?

I'm not trying to knock anyone who does this, I'm just trying to understand why it is necessary.
Actually in a way it does. Like I said, I personally do not advocate the practice but there are cases where it is necessary for the good of the animal.

Look at it this way, because of the centuries-old practice of cropping Dobie ears any genetic trait that would confer resistance to persistant ear infectins is not selected for. Because it is not selected for it therefore only occurs at a very low frequency in the population as a whole (if at all.) To totally stop the cropping technique would result in a huge upsurge in animals with persistent infection. These infections can lead to deafness, blindness, sepsis and death of the animal. And because there is no genetic trait for resistance to the infection they are particularly hard to wipe out even with modern veteranary practices. I have first hand experience with this, it took me 4 years to get the first ear infection my Dobie had eliminated. Subsequnet infections have not been as long lasting but that is because I have always been right on top on them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If your dog is one that suffers from recurring ear infections and there is no other way then maybe then, it should be considered as an option

I would like to address this specifically, as it is another of the common misconseptions that anti-croppers use. If you do not crop a dogs ears at an early age then you can not crop them or the will not stand up. So doing it when you learn that your dog is one that is prone to infection is not an option. Unless you want to go with the style of crop that is almost equal to total ear removal (like what you see on pit-bulls.)

So there are cases where it is indeed necessary. Your tonsils adenoids and appendix argument is flawed because you are comparing apples to oranges. The more logical and comparable argument would be circumcision. Is it "barbaric" to circumcise a boy to prevent him from getting serious infections under the foreskin that could cripple him, render him sterile or possibly kill him?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Pyro @ Feb. 01 2006,11:22)]Is it "barbaric" to circumcise a boy to prevent him from getting serious infections under the foreskin that could cripple him, render him sterile or possibly kill him?
Actually I think it is barbaric to circumcise boys just in case of infections, fair enough if they have suffered any and are considered to be particularly prone to it, but each case should be considered seperately and not just done as a matter of course. Most times these days it is done for religious reasons and not for health reasons. So it is only a minority of boys that are circumcised anyway.

Dobies are quite a popular dog over here in the UK and as has been said ear cropping is illegal over here as will tail docking be soon once the new animal rights laws are introduced. Any dog that has long ears or particularly hairy ears is going to be prone to infection not just Dobies, but if the owner loves their dog they will make the effort to make sure the dogs ears are kept clean, as you yourself do. I must admit until I saw this thread, ear docking is a practice I did not realised existed anywhere in the world

At one time, docking a horse's tail was fashionable. Although the docking wasn't painful for the horse, it left them indefensible against fly and bug bites which was cruel. I don't know if that has been outlawed or just not popular anymore. And I won't go into the practices that were used to achieve the gait knows as the "rack".
smile_h_32.gif

Back