What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It figures the one year I put my plants into

So I have been growing CPs now for a couple years now and the hardest part for me is dormancy. See I live in Ohio where it usually gets rediculously cold during the winter and as such I lose a lot of plants every year. This year I aquired a minifridge for the sole purpose of safely getting my plants through dormancy. So december comes around temperatures dip into the teens for about a week, I bring my plants inside and melt them out of the ice, apply fungicide, stickem in bags, label them and throw them in my fridge. A week after I do this the temps soar into the 50s. They have been into the upper 20s-50s ever since. I could have left the dang plants outside this year! Oh well I think it just means that mother nature has no heart and enjoys playing tricks on me. Oh well at least this year it looks like all my plants are going to survive I'm thinking about potting them up and sticking them outside so they could have a head start if spring is really early this year. Of course mother nature will probably try to screw me over again by having the temps dip back down to -15* F. Grrr

I'm from OH myself. I'm 20 mins South of Cleveland. I know what you mean with this weather, where did our snow go? Not that I'm complaining but seriously I want my winter
smile.gif

I have my plants sitting on top of my fridge in the garage. They are still sleeping. I think we are going to get hit with a lot of snow eventually. But so far this has been the warmest winter I can recall.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Outsiders71 @ Jan. 28 2006,6:25)]I'm from OH myself. I'm 20 mins South of Cleveland. I know what you mean with this weather, where did our snow go? Not that I'm complaining but seriously I want my winter
smile.gif

I have my plants sitting on top of my fridge in the garage. They are still sleeping. I think we are going to get hit with a lot of snow eventually. But so far this has been the warmest winter I can recall.
I want my winter simply because I want to justify getting a minifridge for dormancy this year. *Shakes fist at mother nature*

MOTHER NATURE sticks tongue out at Allosaurz. Sez, "I'll do what I want, buster!"
Its best not to fool with Mother Nature!

I grew plants in Ohio for 4 1/2 years. I was about 2000ft from the shore of lake Erie. So I know your frustration. Before I left, I grew most of my plants outside year round. If you guys want to know the details, just let me know.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Jan. 28 2006,7:08)]If you guys want to know the details, just let me know.
I want to know why Ohio allowed you in their state for 4 1/2 years. And why North Carolina allowed your return.
confused.gif

They had no choice. His lawyer argued the bill of rights, which will even protect those like Ozzy.

It is unseasonally warm here as well. Everything is coming out of dormancy early, which of course means that the big freeze is coming.

Rather warm here in NY, too. I went to all the trouble of mulching the doggon bog, and for nothin'! Oh, well....better than the other way around!

smile.gif
We have been having a pretty mild winter here as well some totaly freezing spells and times of lots snow but it gets warmish again and rains or everything just melts which its doing now after we had snow real heavy for 2 days few days back, today i bring some seeds i had in cold strat. for the last 2 month out of the fridge to get um under lights and warmth and to wait upon there germination and i also put some VFTs into the fridge for dormancy till around end of March since we seem to always get totaly blasted right when we think spring has arrived. Seems like for the past 3 yrs winter has been alittle warmer and then right around April we get slammed with a freez and snow right when we are trying to pick/collect mushrooms.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I want to know why Ohio allowed you in their state for 4 1/2 years. And why North Carolina allowed your return.
confused.gif

Ohio fought me for being there the entire 4 1/2 years I was there. They tried to take away my ability to work and make a living by violating my constitutional rights. Ohio doesn't recognise the bill of rights unless you hire a lawyer. NC does however, so they had no say in me returning. But more and more people are fleeing the tyrant control of the ohio government and the unions that control the government, for NC. As they relocate here they are infesting the NC government, raising our taxes, and finally are tuning our government into the same one they fled.

Oh yeah it's been really warm here too.

Dude...I'm sorry. I was just joking with you. I didn't realize you've been hassled like that. You'd be welcome in Philadelphia. We'll take anyone. And it's really warm here too...We can all fry together!

Well I cordially extend an invitation to anyone to move to Virginia! I'm always up for more CP friends locally.
smile_l_32.gif

We could use a little more snow but otherwise the weather is pretty good...and you have mountains and beaches and rolling hills and history and...well...ME! hahaha!
smile_m_32.gif
OK...I know that last comment just killed any chances for recruiting CPers to VA...
confused.gif

No, I worked and lived in Harrisburg for 9 months. I'm not welcomed there either.
confused.gif

Harrisburg stinks man--nothing like Philly. I say we all move in with Pak!
smile_n_32.gif
Yipee! Ham and biscuits for everyone!!
biggrin.gif

I would but she has an Mac.

LOL, I'd suggest you all move to SW Indiana with me, but that'd be a really bad idea. Besides the fact that the local economy stinks, and the weather is the craziest of anywhere I ever lived, this town is like a black hole. I swear, anyone who's lived here more than a year or two can't escape. You leave, but you always end up coming back! Aiyeee!

Come to Buffalo! We have chicken wings, pepperoni, beef on weck, pizza, pop, 4-time Super Bowl losing Bills, and a bit of snow.

We have all of those here except the beef on weck and the pop.

What the H is weck??

And yeah...ham biscuits here!!! Brunswick stew! Peanuts! Yum!
smile.gif

Can I have my Brunswick stew made with squirrel?
biggrin.gif
Yeak, what's weck--sounds nasty, like a soggy bun or something.

Back