What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What we did this Sat.

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
Here is a small glimpse of what we did today. We rented 2, 4x4 quads and went out to enjoy nature. The trails were a nice mix of fun, and difficult! Here is a still from the video of one of the more difficult climbs... Shortly after this part of the drive, someone gets on the hood of this monster to get those 2 wheels back on the ground and we made it up with both quads safely.
smile.gif
(oh, who is we? Me,wife- brother,wife... guys drove, wifes rode.. and did some video hehe)
quadding.jpg

Andrew

Ready to leave!!
readytoleave.jpg

....The quads

quads.jpg

Wow! Sounds like an adventure! Would love to see the videos posted!

I guess this is just for you Est
smile_n_32.gif

Here is my brother's attempt at this hill (yah, it's me that gets on the hood
smile_k_ani_32.gif
)
Ron's attempt (about 9 mbs )

Here is my attempt at the same hill... Please note- I told him not to try that side
smile_m_32.gif
so I took the other side... it was still hard enough, as you can see my wheels come off the ground a few times.
My attempt (about 4 mbs) My wife is passenger, Ron's wife is running the camera.
Hope you like it Est LOL
Andrew

I just KNEW it would be car related when I saw your subject line. lol Where was Laurel?? Tied to back of the 4x4?
smile_m_32.gif

Sounds like fun...kinda. I'd rather be examining those rocks you're riding over.
smile.gif

Larel was with Bella (my brother's kid) at my mom and dad's house. The rocks here in the mountain are the same as in my back yard. LOL it's only like a 40 min drive from my house to the trails. And I'm on the other side of the city from it.

Oh, and it is funny you say you knew it had to do with cars... Like that's ALL i EVER do... But last weekend we did go to the drag strip. hehehe here is my brother and his daughter by the Don's hot rod shop coup... My brother worked there for about a year so we get special privliges. hehe... this car does about 11.8 in the 1/4 mile. if i recall correctly.
ronbellacarnet.jpg

Andrew

11.8 miles per hour in a quarter mile? Geez, that's SLOW!
smile_l_32.gif

Well...you might be shocked to know I got into watching some major classic car auction last week...held in Tucson I believe. I have to admit the cars were really beautiful. They set a record sale on an old bus that was one of only 12 made I believe for General Electric. It went for 4.1 million. It was a cool bus.
smile.gif

I do have an appreciation for classic cars.

Ohh yahhh? Lets see how well you know classic cars. That picture i have above here... What is it a replica of?
smilie4.gif

Hahaha! Cool videos! Looks like a really good time! There's a lot of thrill to be had in the challenge, eh? Reminds me of rummaging through a giant valley while I was in Death Valley: very difficult at times, but very rewarding and enjoyable. Thanks for posting the videos, it looks like you must have had a good time.
smile.gif

How can you enjoy nature on something so loud
smile_k_ani_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ Jan. 31 2006,2:24)]How can you enjoy nature on something so loud
smile_k_ani_32.gif
You get to where you're going, you shut it off, have food, shoot your gun, talk...whatever.. then start up and go again! And actually- they are not that loud when you're just crusing.. of course when you come to steeper parts of the trail that require more throtle, they are louder.. but i would call them much quiter than i expected them to be.

Oh, ok. I've only been an observer, not a rider. But they do look like lots of fun.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ Jan. 31 2006,7:41)]But they do look like lots of fun.
We're talking about doing it again within the next 3 months or so... I hope to get more video of the action though. What you guys see posted is juuuuuust about all we got.
confused.gif

Geez...any fool knows what that is a replica of! Its a replica of a CAR! Sheesh...don't you know aaaaanything?
smile_n_32.gif

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
And you say you respect classics. I'm VERY dissapointed in you!!
mpc-302149.JPG

-Andrew

I said I RESPECT classics...didn't claim to know anything about them.  lol  I can appreciate a beautifully restored and maintained vintage car.  Plus I like "old stuff".  (Hence my love for Bugweed.  OOOPS...did I say that??  
smile_k_ani_32.gif
  [You know I'm kiddin' BugMeister!] )

I just saw the first video.  It looked more painfully slow than fun.  
confused.gif
 I'm waiting for the other one to download.

By the way..."quad" and "quadding" are actually old printing terms.  Quads were small squares of metal that were used to position foundry type in the "stick" when composing text.  That's where there terms "quad right" and "quad left" came from.  You added the quads to the left or right or both sides depending on where each line of type was to be positioned.  All done by hand.

Nowadays there is no "quad left" and "quad right"...you just push a little button and text moves.  :-/

OK...you went up the hill a little faster.  Did you fetch a pail of water?  
laugh.gif

ha-haha---hahaha :-|
Parts as difficult as my brother showed in the first video only came twice, once for him, and once for my wife and I. Otherwise, the hills were generally as you saw me do in the second video. In the 5 hours we were up there we did about 35 miles plus the stops we took to shoot and such. So, over all...it's not THAT slow
smile.gif

And no- there was no water to fetch
smile_h_32.gif
we're lacking on the rain thing still.... over 100 days now i think....

Back