What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sorry but im scared

Hey i wuz on the net and i found this... i mean better ask, but it is true?.
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq3880.html
Im VERY SCARED..I MEAN THE PICTURES LOOK FAKE!!!! But....cuz my english is very bad better ask. I have my plants in my room and the peat bag is next to my bed... i have silica sand on my closet!!, Some1 hear this.. is dangerous?.
I dont know what to do, belive me i tink to give all my plants to some1 else i mean i dont want someting dangerous!!. Please anwer fast.

The photos are from a movie, and have nothing to do with fungal diseases.

Fungal diseases, however, are no joke, and I would take the precautions recommended.

In the interest of full disclosure, I will add I've been using LFS for years, mixing it with my bare hands, and have never had a problem.  I'm not saying this to recommend it; I am merely stupid.  I am saying it merely to illustrate it is not common.

The problem of the fungal spores is exclusive, IIRC, to dried LFS. It is NOT a problem with peat (brown, decomposed sphagnum) or with LIVE sphagnum.

Silica sand is only a problem with inhalation of dust; silica dust is not a good thing to get in your lungs. Wear a mask, and do it outside, or wet it down before pouring. Same goes for perlite.

I don't think you're in any immediate danger. But you should keep your bags of soil tightly sealed, especially if you sleep near them. Breathing dust, especially dust from stuff like perlite and peat, can cause lung problems, but usually only after long periods of exposure.
The bottom line is, wear gloves when potting your plants, and stay out of the dust. But a little bit of mud on your fingers or peat dust in the air won't kill you - the danger is when you breathe lots of dust every day, or spend a lot of time with your hands in the soil. Like Barry Rice says on that webpage, out of the hundreds of growers he's known over the course of 30-40 years, he's met two people who have contracted this disease. There is a risk associated with CP cultivation, but it is very small. You don't need to give your plants away.
Oh, and the pictures are fake. No worries! ;)
~Joe

Thanks, i fell better...i was like and how can i give my plants to other ppl, im going to let the other ppl get contaminaed and die!, i was very upset, i tink pictures was like a zombie! i play Resident evil outbreak, (a video game), and i must acept my head beggin to tink weird stuff abouth becoming a zombi!, well i fell better now, which ones are IIRC, to dried LFS?, how they look?, my plants have a black earth and some have a litle Live sphagum.. Well thanks for fast answers, im going to drink a tea that will let me have some calm.

Hey other question, if i put the fans on, im making the air in the terrarium get out to mi room....Each time i open my terrarium it smell bad...like acid or someting, why that happend, can there be someting bad?

Other question... havea terrarium in mi room is dangerous?, some1 have a terrarium in his room?.... ahould i move it to a cold lees atendend place?, hehe, see ya good night i mgoing to sleep.

I keep ALL my plants in my room, and I've had them here for almost a year now with absolutely no problems. I've also handled quite a bit of LFS with no fungal infections, so no worries
smile.gif

I am sure that Clyde Bramblett was very miserable with his fungus. Good man. Too bad this sort of thing happens, but at least now, you know it can.

Now...where is Travis? lol

ImWindPlant, if you click on the pitures, it will take you to this page: Picture page.

Barry has a sense of humor like Ozzy (Ozzy's icon:
OzzyOsbourne01.gif
) It is my greatest nightmare that these two might get together for an April Fool's Prank. The forums might never be the same
smile_m_32.gif

and what about the conference this year? can you keep them apart?

just a thought!

rm

Oh man!!! I hadn't thought about that
icon11.gif
. Looks like I have some long nights ahead of me
icon12.gif
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ Feb. 03 2006,10:30)]ImWindPlant, if you click on the pitures, it will take you to this page: Picture page.

Barry has a sense of humor like Ozzy (Ozzy's icon:
OzzyOsbourne01.gif
) It is my greatest nightmare that these two might get together for an April Fool's Prank. The forums might never be the same
smile_m_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

Oh my god i should click an the picture, but anyway i just hope there is no problem.. thanks god leopard have the plants in the room too, so i wont be so scared to tink they are killeng me slowly, hehe, see ya

Back