What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major Port In Brunswick county, NC

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Editorials Home / Opinion / Editorials

Published: Feb 03, 2006 12:30 AM
Modified: Feb 03, 2006 03:30 AM

Port in a storm
A new port's environmental impact on Brunswick County needs close scrutiny before the state commits to the project
Story Tools
Printer Friendly Email to a Friend
Enlarge Font Decrease Font
More Editorials
Sticking points
Tapping Triangle's energy
Hitting 'em again
Port in a storm
A harsh price
Aiming at oil...
Initially, the N.C. Ports Authority's talk of building an international port near the mouth of the Cape Fear River had a pie-in-the-sky quality to it. Yet based on all the business interest it's generating, the project clearly is a contender.

Three companies have approached the state about entering into a partnership. They are just the sort of heavyweights that could actually raise the $600 million North Carolina needs from a private partner to make the project go. If it does, plenty of North Carolinians, including many who need a job, would stand to benefit from all the business activity the port would generate.

But a port in Brunswick County also must be judged on the impact it's likely to have on local water quality, plants and wildlife. What's more, it needs to stack up favorably against port expansions in nearby states. Far too little information exists now to make those calls.

Still, it would make sense for the Council of State to approve the purchase of 620 acres near Southport in Brunswick County when it meets Tuesday. The county has been trying to persuade the drug company Pfizer to sell the industrial site for years, and another opportunity may not present itself again soon. The state wants a port large enough to compete with the ports of Savannah, Ga., Charleston, S.C., and Norfolk, Va.

Of North Carolina's two current state ports, the one at Morehead City isn't equipped to handle the cargo containers that shippers use nowadays. The larger Wilmington facility, further up the Cape Fear from Southport, can handle containers, but without room to expand, it is expected to reach capacity within a decade. In Southport there's elbow room.

With 4,000 feet of access to the Cape Fear River, the Pfizer site is a good bet to increase in value while environmental impact data are gathered. That's important, because an environmental assessment of the proposed port is expected to take three to five years.

It's worth the effort to make sure the project wouldn't do unacceptable damage to the site and its surroundings. Brunswick County's sprawling wetlands help cleanse water of pollutants, creating a nursery for marine life in the process. Among North Carolina's 100 counties, Brunswick with its swampy lowlands also has one of the largest inventories of rare animals and plants, including the famous bug-eating Venus flytrap.

True, the port site is no nature preserve. Its habitats were overtaken by industrial activity long ago. But new highways and railroads undoubtedly will be needed to move cargo out of the port, and road construction could well affect tightly regulated wetlands in the vicinity.

In addition, the river channel will have to be dredged 10 feet deeper to accommodate ships capable of carrying large loads of cargo containers. That understandably worries the town manager of Bald Head Island, which saw 300 feet of land disappear next to the channel during the last dredging project.

Some environmental degradation would be the likely effect of any project of an international port's magnitude. And the public has a right to expect that such effects will be forecast in the Ports Authority's environmental impact statement. They will be important factors in a decision that must weigh the value of a clean environment against the need for jobs to support families.

For much the same reason, a wave of East Coast port expansions also needs monitoring. Only a major increase in shipping business would justify the added capacity -- with the environmental impact it brings -- that is proposed for Savannah, Charleston and, soon, North Carolina. Only the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, which issues wetlands and dredging permits, is in a position to look at the regional tradeoffs, and it should oblige.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]http://www.newsobserver.com/579/story/395693.html

This looks like a job for the NASC!

Unfortunately I don't see much that we can do. The area of the port will be built on is located next to a saltwater river. Doubtful that cp's grows on that land. The danger of this is more like a nuclear explosion. The majority of the damage won't come from the blast, but the fallout after the blast.

It depends on who is there to vote for and against it in the end. That's polotics. It would definately give NC a HUGE boost in their economy, but the also need to consider the fact that area is one of the ONLY areas in the WORLD that vfts grow natrually. There is also an array of other plants and wildlife that are somewhat limited to that area. When it comes up to vote, we have to let people know about, otherwise it'll probably pass with too much ease. I'm not against, I actually like it, but we'll need to keep an eye on the surrounding area. Anyway, that's more or less just a recap of what Ozzy's original post says, but hey it's a good summary!
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

I agree with some of what you say Wesley, but there a few things I disagree with.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It depends on who is there to vote for and against it in the end. That's polotics.

I doubt there will be a vote on this. The county wants it really bad, they are moving fast to make it happen and I'm sure nothing will stand in their way. It will bring in millions and millions of dollars. The rich makes sure they get richer, that's politics.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It would definately give NC a HUGE boost in their economy,

I don't think Brunswick county doesn't need a boost in it's economy. It is one of the fastest growing areas in the country. The development rate is unbelievable. I'm amazed everyday. It needs to be slowed down. When all the natural areas are gone and there is nothing but concrete, we'll look back on it, just as we look back at the massive buffalo slaughter in the 1800's.

I'm also undecided on whether it should be built. If it is I really want to wire it. It is a very big highly funded project. Which means that the pay scale will be very high. It will probably double my income.

Every place with a body of water too wide to step across thinks building a port facility will provide an economic bonanza.  Just like they used to think subsidizing a canal or railroad would turn some backwater into New York or Chicago.  There's no question Brunswick County's growing like mad, but I'm not aware of any significant production happening there that would favor a port there over anywhere else.  Especially if the highway & railroad links don't already exist.

The same thing happens with cities thinking that they can become Seattle by putting a public market downtown or become Boston by building an old-looking baseball stadium.  The common trait is that the Chamber of Commerce members always line up for the public assistance they want to deny for everyone else.

What really caught my attention was the article's mention of the "Pfizer site."  That has to be a horribly contaminated place and maybe nothing would please the Phizer or whoever owns it as much as a sweetheart deal with a public or quasi-public entity fto use it for or economic development.

Former baseball player Jim Bouton, who wrote the famous book Ball Four years ago wrote a new one called Foul Ball a couple years ago - http://www.jimbouton.com/foulball.html.  It tells of his attempts to bring baseball to Wahconah Park, an ancient minor league stadium in western Mass.  As an aside, you gotta see it if you're ever nearby, especially if the gate's open and you can get inside.  The city's political establishment was trying to create support to build a new ballpark on General Electric property.  The GE site is badly contaminated, with GE being on the hook for a massive cleanup unless, for instance, it can hand over the land for public development.

Always be wary of economic development schemes that are suddenly getting all kinds of favorable publicity and support.  That publicity is orchestrated with the goal of preventing any honest discussion.  And newspapers always love further development because it means new subscribers and advertisers at a time when customer growth is otherwise pretty flat.  Not including Rattler's paper, of course.

Weighing the need for jobs against the needs of the evironment. Hmmm. It is sad. Jobs almost always win out. The environment has already been damaged enough, but we just keep going.

The site is not contaminated. It's undeveloped. Heres a pic of the site.

64799774O077820990.jpg

Here is another pic zoomed out.

64799811O904431276.jpg

The buildings below the site is a citrus plant. The buildings to the left is the Brunswick nuclear power plant. The building above is Sunny Point, a major military port.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Weighing the need for jobs against the needs of the evironment.

There are no need for jobs here. There are more jobs avaiable then people looking for work. In the last 13 years, that I lived here, I have never gone more than a day before finding a job. When I moved back here this summer, I named my price. When I went on an interview, I told them how much money I wanted and I got it. I turned down a number of jobs. After I finally took the job I wanted I still had companies calling me offering more money.
So the area really doesn't need more growth or more jobs. This project will just make the rich richer.

.... Google... I love it. LOL

They're pushing it through with a vote, huh? That's sounds a bit like there is someone big somewhere that doesn't want this to go through, but I could be wrong.

As for the boost, I was talkin NC in general, not just brunswick. Hmm, maybe the 5% percent of the country that doesn't have jobs should move to Brunswick. LOL

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hmm, maybe the 5% percent of the country that doesn't have jobs should move to Brunswick. LOL

They are.
smile_h_32.gif

Back