What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weapon of choice against poachers?

Imagine you are given personal license to use any and all means to deter/capture/kill poachers.

What would be your weapon of choice, and why?

I like large-caliber weapons. I'll take an M107 .50 sniper rifle.

Overkill?

Nay, just-enough-kill!

I'm a rotten shot so just hand me the shotgun loaded with rock salt.

A lot of plants wouldn't be in circulation/Tissue Culture now if it weren't for poachers (albeit responsible ones). According to Cites poaching includes taking seed pods just as much as it includes taking a whole field full of plants. The history of botany and ornamental plants is rife with poaching. Doesn't make it right but it's true.

What really irks me is that it's illegal for me to save a wild orchid from a construction site yet it's perfectly legal for the highway dept to plow it under, guarenteeing the death of it's genes.
"At least no darn hippies got their hands on our state flower!"

collecting plants does not mean poaching. They are two different things.

I like my ak-47 for long range or my .45 for up close. But nothing can beat the feeling of taking them out with just my bare hands.

That's true Ozzy they are different to us the plant lovers. However if you tried to argue the legality of "collecting VS poaching" after being caught you'd still be up the proverbial creek. Cites and wildlife departments don't fool around.

It seems violence is a way to solve problems. So...I guess that means all those thousands of people that are rioting, burning/destroying the Dutch embassy and other buildings, and killing and injuring people over a cartoon have the right idea in mind...
confused.gif

I think I'd take the person and try to educate them about the importance of leaving the plants in the wild and also point out their beauty, elegance and uniquenss so that they could learn to appreciate them. If that didn't work...I'd report them to the police for trespassing and destroying private property.

PAK!!! For SHAME!!! When they said weapon, your brain may not be included in the arcenal. tsk tsk tsk.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But nothing can beat the feeling of taking them out with just my bare hands.

AMEN to that, Ozzy!

Though I think I need some practice with my katana, and by battle axe work is getting rusty.

For long range I like poison tipped darts & a blow gun.

Overkill would be a thermoneculear device.
Kneecapping poachers with my .45 seems appropriate.

Education is the key.  BTW, our lifestyle does far more damage to plants and habitats then poachers ever will.  Address the source!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swords @ Feb. 07 2006,6:23)]A lot of plants wouldn't be in circulation/Tissue Culture now if it weren't for poachers (albeit responsible ones). According to Cites poaching includes taking seed pods just as much as it includes taking a whole field full of plants. The history of botany and ornamental plants is rife with poaching. Doesn't make it right but it's true.

What really irks me is that it's illegal for me to save a wild orchid from a construction site yet it's perfectly legal for the highway dept to plow it under, guarenteeing the death of it's genes.
"At least no darn hippies got their hands on our state flower!"
I tend to define poachers in an ethical way, rather than legal way.

"Responsible" poaching, done by somebody who knows how to impact the population the least, doesn't count. Collecting that orchid that's about to be plowed under is perfectly fine with me.

If what you are doing will ultimately benefit the wild population, then i don't ethically define it as poaching.

Well if they're out poaching there's probably plenty of sticks around. I've always been handy with a blunt object. Their own shovel, perhaps? And there's a neat trick for pinning a person to the ground with a stick for a long time without hurting them; I don't remember the name of it, but you can just walk off and it's about as good as tying them to a small tree. I think that would be appropriate for this occasion. I'm not so worried about educating poachers as I am about delivering them to the proper authorities. The poachers already know about what they're doing, for the most part - I'm sure that they notice when the populations they cull from die out.
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Feb. 07 2006,8:52)]I think I'd take the person and try to educate them about the importance of leaving the plants in the wild and also point out their beauty, elegance and uniquenss so that they could learn to appreciate them.  If that didn't work...I'd report them to the police for trespassing and destroying private property.
This is just a knee-jerk thread to vent about poaching.

As for attempting to educate, you have two types of poachers, ones who are naive, and want the pretty plant for themselves, and the greedy, who want to make a fast buck. Guess which kind does more damage, and which kind will heed your warnings.

Maybe I'm overly cynical, but I've come to the realisation that ~70% of humanity never rises above talking animal. I wouldn't waste my time talking to them; I'd go straight to the police.

A vile of urine into their eyes (as seen in James Bond) and then a hord of mad weasels down their shirt/pants. It may not kill 'em, but it kills their dignity.
smile_n_32.gif

-Ben

A vat of nepenthes digestive juices would be my starting point. I believe I read on the carnivorous plant FAQ that a vft could eat small bits of human tissue. So I'd break out my machete and...you know...
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Feb. 07 2006,5:39)]collecting plants does not mean poaching. They are two different things.

I like my ak-47 for long range or my .45 for up close. But nothing can beat the feeling of taking them out with just my bare hands.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]That's true Ozzy they are different to us the plant lovers. However if you tried to argue the legality of "collecting VS poaching" after being caught you'd still be up the proverbial creek. Cites and wildlife departments don't fool around.

Unless a plant is listed as protected, threatened, of special concern, or endangered, it is perfectly legal to collect said plant. In fact as part of my schooling, as a Natural Resource Technician, I as well as the other 50 or so students in the program were required to put together a herbarium collection. Sarracenia purpurea subsp. purpurea as well as D. rotundifolia, were on out lists of plants to collect, as neither has any special status in Wisconsin. Ofcourse I couldn't bring myself to collect either, and just collected more common Bog plants to fill that part of the asignment.

well.. let me see..if it was in a area where bears are..lets tie them to a tree and put honey on them..and seen in..idk whats its called..

or..well..a 22-250 would slow them down..

thanks

Brad

The poachers deserve a qiuck death, as in 3 to 4 shots from my ak. The devolpers deserve something totally different. If I had my way, I'd tie them to a stump that was infested with a colony of fireants.

In Illinois, it is illegal to take ANYTHING from State Parks. Seeds, plants, rocks, sticks, whatever. I work at a State Park, part time on a volunteer basis. They don't even let volunteers take seeds, let alone plants. You can collect from Federal lands(national forests, national monuments) with a permit. It is illegal to collect from roadsides, unless you've got written permission from the state.  Which is a pain in the butt to get, but can be obtained after many hours on hold.

Some National Park employees have taken to accompanying "students" to sites that contain rare/endangered plants because these "students" had a tendency to over-collect the plants that they wanted to "study".

The only place you can collect without a permit is private property, but you must, of course, have the owner's permission.  A former member here had some school/do gooder go thru her woods and "rescue" all her trillium grandiflorum. Which she had bought and planted.

If the collector doesn't have a permit or permission, the collector is stealing, plain and simple. and can be arrested and prosecuted, which they should be..and I don't care if the bulldozer is sitting right there.  

People who just go out and dig up whatever, whenever really give legitimate plant rescue groups(like the Wild Ones)a bad name, and make it harder for them to do their job. Just IMO.

Ya you are right April, it is illegal to collect from parks here as well, but not from state owned public land, not classified as a park. Public Hunting areas are open to collection.

Back