What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water propagation

About 3 weeks ago, I put several drosera leaves in a test tube. 3 weeks later, some are starting to bud, and some aren't. I was wondering how long, after they have budded, can I keep them in the test tubes. I don't want these plants, I'm propagating for a friend, but she's out of the city for a while and I have no pots anyway and it will be easier to just show up at her house with just a test tube instead of a pot.

The only problems I run into when I leave the leaves in the water too long are the dead parts getting coated in fungus and the plants are etoliated (long & scrawny). Occasionally after long periods, I will have algae begin to grow on the sides of the container.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I will have algae begin to grow on the sides of the container.

I had this problem too sometimes with water propagation and I didn't see what I did wrong. I got a leaf that wasn't too old or too young, had little to no bugs and even changed the water once a week. Now I find the best way is to just ignore it or maybe it was doing bad because I tried propagating during winter
smile_n_32.gif

I would prepare a container with soil media and water, above the soil line and place what you have on top. Then allow the water to evaporate and root naturally.

Back