What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kit with Carnivorous seeds

I saw this on Boing Boing. But the link goes directly to the site.
Scientific Online has neat science based gifts for your future geek.
While I have no need for this I thought a few of you would at least enjoy taking a peek at this. darn I like the exchange part of this forum.

http://scientificsonline.com/Product....0821852

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Same thing is available on Thinkgeek and has been posted here. I've read the instuction manual that comes with it and it's... Interesting. The way it reads is as if someone looked up the info on the net and uses a different source for every sentence. Some of the info is good, other parts of it are totally bogus.

For what it costs, it's more economical to just buy the plants, though it can be fun if you want to try to grow some different genera from seed and seed what pops up.

For kids it would be better if their parents bought the plants and potted them up. It's going to be years before you get a decent sized plant from seed. The plants in the picture would lead the inexperienced person to think their plants will look nice and big farely quickly. Ain't gonna happen!

We have discussed these kits at least twice before:

first time

second time

I will say it again..
lame lame lame..
and bordering on false advertising.

im not impressed..
Scot

Thanks for the heads up.
I was curious about the issue of the time to get them to mature.
Not only that, I thought that the plant exchange here was much better also.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

My feeling is it will attract (and disappoint) many people new to CPs, many of whom will never return after their dismal experience.

If you're looking to get into a new hobby, it is always best to fins a discussion forum devoted to it, and read up a bit. Amateurs are always very happy to share their knowledge.

Yes, I would agree with sarrScott here, looking at them pics, I'm pretty sure I couldn't grow something that would look like that with just the materials provided in the kit, and I don't think I'm that bad at growing stuff from seeds

And unlike a VFT, the "failure" with these kits would take a pretty impressive fraction of a "3 and up" persons life, good ol VFTs tend to let ya down much more quickly, giving more time to heal/build determination for the next shot (it only too me 15 years to get over the few failures I endured, and coming back at it with the aid of places like this site helped me to understand that failure wasn't always avoidable, but it sure as heck can be "managed" a lot better with more knowledge)

Which reminds me, someone on here made a funny statement once about how being experienced at CP growing means that when stuff dies, at least you have some idea why... BCK maybe?? I still laugh at that one, I feel like I'm almost at that stage
biggrin.gif

Back