What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LAWD! LAWD!

• Thread starter Bugweed
  • Start date
I would like to say I voted independent last election. People made fun of me saying I threw my vote away. I would like to state that they can't hold me responsible for the idiot we have in office. My conscience is clear.

Let's watch what happens in those places public financing might allow candidates to grovel to voters instead of contributors. It won't be perfect because nothing in life ever is, but it'll be be better than what we have now.

I didn't vote independent, and I have a clear conscience, too.  I am hoping that public financing of political campaigns is the way we start doing things..that way, we could have viable third, fourth or fifth party candidates. My only worry about this system is that you could possibly have a president who was elected by a really small minority of the population.

I agree with eliminating the electoral college..and making the guy who gets the 2nd most votes the vice president.  It sure would make things interesting.

Little more than 1/4 of the voting age population voted for Bush in 2000 & 2004.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Little more than 1/4 of the voting age population voted for Bush in 2000 & 2004.

Of coure the question remains- how much of the voting age population voted at all??

A bit more 1/2 voted in those elections  (55% - 60%, depending how it's calculated).  The highest turnouts in 2004 were in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Maine, and New Hampshire, where almost 3/4 voted.  Maybe the cold weather or playing hockey gives people the intestinal fortitude needed to vote in a national election these days.

Otherwise, the tendency to vote increases the more someone resembles a campaign contributor - successful & white.  As long as both major parties are in thrall to their contributors, people who have other interests and needs see little benefit in voting and the system will roll merrily along.  We won't have democracy as long as a rich man's dollars are worth more to a candidate than a poor man's vote.

I have no problem with women in politics, but if too many of them get involved in governing our nation, how will they find the time to do the cooking and cleaning.

My wife and daughter say women are better at multi-tasking and, if true, there should be no problem. A woman president would probably focus her first four years on redecorating the White House and think how much better everything would be if Bush had done the same.

Back