What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grizzly Man

I watched “Grizzly Man” for the second time last night.  It is a fascinating documentary and the photography is supberb. I was just wondering if any of you have an opinion about Timothy Treadwell and his possibly misguided and fatal interaction with the bears.  Did he have a death wish?  There are a lot of bad ways to die but his was particularly brutal.

I just saw a TV clip about a guy who is trying to basically do the same thing with great whites.  If he does this long enough, it is just a matter of time before he ends up in the belly of the beast.

I have been in harms way a number of times in my life but I never did it on purpose.  My idea of danger nowadays is fishing in the surf and bopping little two and three foot spinner sharks on the snout with my rod tip.

Not meaning to sound callous, but Timothy Treadwell got exactly what he should have expected. It's just another example of a soap-box conservationists attempt to 'save' the wild world from harm. Funny...the bears didn't really seem to be in too much danger but he decided they needed his help anyways so he paid the ultimate price. We pretty much know the lifestyles of these dangerous creatures; bears, sharks, big cats, etc....but these folks need the addreneline rush to justify our need to know how they take a dump.

It's a pity it had to turn out this way. Wild animals are best protected when people don't mess with them. Why test their aggression levels when you already know what they are.

a wild animal is a wild animal, what happened to him was probably a surprise to no one but himself.

the bears he was trying to "save" were in almost zero danger. grizzlys in that area really arent poached. in fact poaching black bears is MUCH more common than with griz. remember gizzlys werent killed off in the lower 48 for their gall bladders(about the only reason to poach a bear, grizzlys can be hunted easy enough in Alaska, Canada and Russia), they were killed off cause they were feared to kill livestock and people, which they did and are doing now on a limited basis.

remember griz are ONLY considered endangered in the lower 48(though i think MT will try to delist them in the next 5 years, atleast around Yellowstone). they have quite healthy populations in Canada and Alaska.

I saw it a few weeks ago. This guy was a little off, but months alone will do that to you. It's a shame that he and his girlfriend was killed, but you know the saying "If you play with fire you'll get burned".

I admire that he did what he felt was right and darn the consequences to himself. What I didn't like about him was that he seemed to love the glory of what he was doing.

One day I'll be in his shoes, except it will be the swamp or a snake instead of a bear. LOL

I saw it. I wish he had put his considerable energies and heart into saving some of these, instead: http://www.endangeredspecie.com/states/ak.htm

But I guess the short tailed albatross is not as "sexy" as the brown bear. The upside is that a short tailed albatross is not going to eat you.

I feel bad about what happened to him and his girlfriend. He loved his bears, yet caused the deaths of two of them. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Grizzly Man. More like Grisly Man and Grisly Girlfriend after putting their lives at risk. Stupid and unnecessary. Best observations are made from a safe distance. I have hunted Grizzly in my younger days in Montana. They are incredibly smart, and VERY bad tempered when angered. I learned distance is the very best thing for something as dangerous as that. SHARKS, LAUDERDALE????? Another idiot!!!!
Hmmmmmm. The idiot fad. Might catch on.

I haven't seen the show, so he could be a total fraud for all I know, but life should be measured by quality, not quantity. If someone is living the life they want, I say so what if it gets cut short. Growing old at the expense of living is like making a million dollars and never spending a dime.

If he was doing what he truly felt he had to do, more power to him. That's worth ten lives in a nursing home.

As for the girlfriend, I have no idea. Was she just as driven?

I saw it..
the guy was a moron.
He should have never been there.
an innocent bear died because of him..exactly what he was trying to prevent.
An idiot of epic proportions..
confused.gif

one for the ages...

Scot

I was confued about WHY they went back..
they were leaving for the traditional "end of the season"..
because winter was coming..
they were AT the airport..
but they they went back!
to a tent!
they must have known they couldnt survive like that all winter.
the film never explained that..

I got the impression Tim actually wanted to die..to be killed by a bear.
I think he was seriously unhinged by that point.

the girlfriend should have left.
she was much more of an "innocent" than timmy..
but she also went BACK...
IMO, both were idiots who only got what they deserved.
The bear did the right thing.

having said all that, its a strangely beautiful film!
and its all VERY real..nothing fake about it.
the story is fascinating..but the fact remains that in the end, the guy was just a flake..

Scot

Grisly flakes, Grisly Cereal, and dead.

I think they should both be nominated for the Darwin Award.

I wonder if he tasted like chicken?

Nah--saw the trailer. What a ham! Looks like pork, the other white meat!
smile_m_32.gif

Yeah, not too bright. By the way in case there are some that don't know the killing of him and his girlfriend WAS recorded on audio, apparently the camera got knocked over so it wasn't caught on video. At least that's the info I heard about it.

I think the only reason Treadwell lasted thirteen years with the bears was because he was about a half a bob out of plumb.  His high pitched voice, singsong delivery and ranting in front of the camera leads me to that conclusion.

Most humans are uncomfortable around people who have mental problems and usually do not interact with them.  We certainly don’t pick a fight with them.  I believe the bears sensed that he wasn’t quite right and simply chose to ignore him.  Unfortunately for he and his girlfriend, they bumped into a hungry bear that decided, crazy or not, they might taste good.  They did…and he ate them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]By the way in case there are some that don't know the killing of him and his girlfriend WAS recorded on audio, apparently the camera got knocked over so it wasn't caught on video.
That is correct Tommy.  The narrrator mentioned that and said that is was so grusome that they did not want to include it in the film.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]SHARKS, LAUDERDALE?
confused.gif
? Another idiot!!!!
Hmmmmmm. The idiot fad. Might catch on.
Hey Bugweed!  My daddy did not raise a fool.  I have seen big makos, tigers and the really dangerous bull sharks while diving off the second and third reef but so has every other diver.  Smart people just get back in the boat and have lunch.  Florida is the shark attack capital of the world (Eighteen last year, one fatality.) but surfers are usually the attackees and most injuries take little more than eight or nine stitches to repair. The little sharks we have inshore where I fish are about as dangerous as an angry poodle.  Most are just babies and are curious about everything in their territory.  Like I said, bop them on the nose with my rod tip and they go away for awhile…nothing scary ‘bout that.   Most of the fish I catch; tarpon, snook, pompano and jacks are bigger than the sharks I see.

As far as the guy that wants to go diving with Great Whites…That guys daddy did raise a fool.  I can guarantee it won’t take thirteen years before we read about him in the paper.

the bear that killed him didnt eat him. a younger male ate him after the older one killed him

It's like "My Two Dads".

With penguins.

Where were they to get that show off the shelf?
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tommyr @ Mar. 04 2006,7:21)]Yeah, not too bright. By the way in case there are some that don't know the killing of him and his girlfriend WAS recorded on audio, apparently the camera got knocked over so it wasn't caught on video. At least that's the info I heard about it.
the camera wasnt knocked over.
the lenscap was on.
there was only audio recorded..no video.

I think (might not remember it correctly however)
that the girlfriend turned on the camera as the attack began..
she was in the tent, tim and the bear were outside.
she didnt know the cap was on, and in the panic of the moment, didnt think to look..her mind wasnt really on the camera.

Tim's flake group, "grizzly people" I believe owns the tape.
they have vowed to never release it..
which I think is good.

no one needs to hear it.
(and none of the audio is in the movie...the producer of the movie chose that on purpose out of respect for Tim and the girlfriend..)

the movie did a good job of being neutral I thought..
several of Tims friends were interviewed, who said how amazing and noble and wonderful he was..

but we also see the doctor who recieved the bags of body parts, and a local Native American (who has great respect for the bears), and others, who basically said the guy was a flake and shouldnt have been out there..he was doing more harm than good.

it was a well-balanced film.

I recommend seeing the movie!
if anything, its very interesting!

Scot

Back