What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carnivorous Plant "Paper"...

Hello all, this is my first post. I'm Brian's (technoracer) girlfriend and he recommended I register and pose my question to all of you!

Here's the background:
For school, I have to write an annotated bibliography for my Earth History class. "Find a plant or an animal that interests you and research its evolutionary history with emphasis on how geology has impacted it. Must have at least 10 resources, half of which must be print media (book or journal)."
Basically all I have to do is read an article, write 2 paragraphs, first as a summary, the second addresses what aspect of the article were most useful.

So my question is: What plant should I do this on?

My resources so far: (techno-provided  
smilie4.gif
)
-Carnivorous Plants of the United States and Canada - Donald E. Schnell
-The Savage Garden - Peter D'Amato
-A few ICPS newsletters.
Brian also recommended:
-Insectivorous Plants - Charles Darwin

Any suggestions? I was thinking venus fly trap just because I like it. But I'm not the plant expert he (or all of you) are. I'm looking for a plant that has enough information on it for me to work with, and one that has evolved a good amount. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!  
smile.gif

Im not sure about evolution but the best plant for a project like that would be a nep or vft. At least I think so.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (01rtgurl @ Mar. 04 2006,8:51)]Any suggestions? I was thinking venus fly trap just because I like it. But I'm not the plant expert he (or all of you) are.
Expert?!?!?? Where!?? I knew we should have password protected the forums to keep them things out. Nothing like an expert to gum up the works by confusing us with the facts!
icon4.gif

Humm, VFTs might be easiest to find info on. There is also Drosera anglica. One species found in Hawaii grows without needing a dormancy, all the others (mind you I'm not one of them expert thingies let alone all that knowledgable about Drosera, so I could be wrong) are temperate and tend to go dormant in the fall.

Hi Technoracer's g/f and welcome to TerraForums!

I was thinking that Darwin was known for studying speciation in the Galapagos Islands, where he studied how tortoises had evolutionally differentiated themselves over time, due to geologic forces in the area. Well, I'm guessing that the plantlife might have done the same thing. So the question is, what CP's would have been present on those islands. I'm not sure, but someone like Fernando Rivadavia might know. Darwin also studied the Drosera rotundifolia, if that helps.

Chuckie Darwin

Whoa, thanks for the replies! My name is Jessie btw.  
smile.gif
 I'll check out all the links and take everything said into consideration, that helped a TON. Thank you thank you thank you!!  
smilie4.gif

Updates?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Mar. 07 2006,7:43)]Updates?
Updates.... I've been working on getting another engine for my car  haha
confused.gif
 I've put the paper on hold for 3 days but soon to resume..

Not a search engine, obviously! My condolences. It used to be said that once one is in the unenviable position to relace the engine, it is time to replace the car. Does Brian know how to "drop an engine"?
smile_h_32.gif

haha this engine is just for fun... need to take parts off of it because my car is my daily driver... can't mess with it b/c I need it everyday lol! And yes, he does know how to, but so do I!
smile_n_32.gif

YES they will... because we are also allowed to use topics about the AREA, not necessarily the plant/animal itself.... freakin awesome thank you jim!!

You're very welcome and good skill with the paper!

How's the paper going? (I happen to login shortly after you posted on another topic)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ April 01 2006,9:02)]How's the paper going? (I happen to login shortly after you posted on another topic)
I was just reading all the sources!
smile.gif
I've got a general idea where to head now... it's just: do I have the time to get it all done, I'm such a procrastinator!

Omigish, I wasn't expecting a return and response so quickly! I know what you mean about procrastination. When I was a first semester freshman, I took Intro to Philosphy. We had to write 3 papers. I put all of them off until the last week of the semester. And then I wrote the 3 in 4 days. Or shall I say I plagiarized 3 papers in 4 days! I still don't know what Phenomenology and whatever else I was writing about. At least the rudiments of Existentialism made it into my brain.

In high school, senior year, I took an English mini-course called American Novel and we had to read this book called, "Intruder In The Dust", by William Falkner. It was the most boring book I ever sunk my mind into. And when the first test came I talked my teacher into giving me an extention. And when the time was up, I talked him into another. And then I talked my best buddy into giving me a synopsis of the characters, plot, and theme. Then I took the test and actually passed -w ithout ever reading the book.

Okay, so much for bad habits and creative solutions! Later on in college I learned to do two things. One was to utilize the many 10 & 15 minute time intervals before and after classes to read and re-read my notes and textbooks. Since attention span is short and block times get frittered away, the most effective times for continuous reinforcement are the many little bit here and little bit there, on a daily basis. When it came time for the exams - I was more than ready. And I didn't forget the material the day after. And when the finals came - I still remembered the material. I still had plenty of time for fun stuff - like chess, Scrabble, tennis, football,....

For papers, I found the task of writing one to be overwhelming. But I decided I would. early on, just write something down, early on. Just that little bit of getting started made it a whole lot easier to continue and complete.

This is amazing news. I can't believe I haven't seen this topic until today. Then I realized I was in jail when it was posted. LOL
Anyway I saw this and I knew for sure it was April Fools day. You expect us to believe Brian has a GF?
biggrin.gif

Sorry I won't fall for that one.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ April 01 2006,10:25)]Anyway I saw this and I knew for sure it was April Fools day. You expect us to believe Brian has a GF?
biggrin.gif

Sorry I won't fall for that one.
I literally LOL'd when I saw that one.... 1 year and 5 mos....  
smile_m_32.gif

Wonder why he never mentioned you. I guess he was just busy in his big orange truck.

ahhh, mark... what a short memory you have... i did mention her to you. it was probably on aim though, as opposed to the forums.

busy in the big orange truck? ha! since wednesday (4 days ago) i've gone from ohio (seville), to louisiana (pineville), to texas (haslet and paris), and over to arkansas (west memphis & one i forget). just over 2000 miles in 4 days... is that busy?

of course, i could be making all this up and pulling an "ozzy" on, yes you, ozzy.

tech...

Back