What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which plants?

I'm looking for some nice, small carnivorous plants... say, like no bigger than 6 inches across or tall... Can you guys recommend some for me? I like the way sundews look, especially the ones with the rounder leaves, but I'm not really that picky about the type of plant.

The first choice I would go with is Nepenthes. 6 inches is really big for a sundew depending on what kind of sundew you are talking about.

But a Nep can grow way past that 6" limit. Check the Drosera (sundew) and Ping forums because there are some great options there. And venus flytraps too.

Not to mention terrestrial utrics which usually only reach 0.5 cm in height!

-Ben

Hi and welcome to TerraForums! What fits your description would be plants like D. spatulata. D. aliciae, D capillaris, D. intermedia, D. rotundifolia, any of the pigmy sundews, D. burmannii...

Here are some pictures:

AF003001.jpg
D. capillaris

AF002801.jpg
D. pulchella (pigmy sundew)

AF002401.jpg
D. aliciae

AF002301.jpg
D. burmannii

AR000102.jpg
D. paradoxa

Whaddya think?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Mar. 05 2006,7:35)]Hi and welcome to TerraForums! What fits your description would be plants like D. spatulata. D. aliciae, D capillaris, D. intermedia, D. rotundifolia, any of the pigmy sundews, D. burmannii...

Here are some pictures:

Whaddya think?
I just got into Drosera's, and I think your plants are BEAUTIFUL!

I LOVE DROSERAS!, jim please give me the paradoxa pot!

sundews would be my first suggestion. capensis is a really good one. my personal favorite is the Hong Kong locale of spatulata, madigascarensis is extreamly interesting and easy also, doesnt grow like most others, forms a mini tree bout 4 or 5 inches tall, not to easy to find plants of it but it starts easy from seed which is a bit easier to get your hands on.

if you prefer flowers to foliage the Mexi pings, especially hybrids and Utrics such as sandersonii and the calycifida cultivars are also highly recommended.

Those are nice pictures! I like the pigmy sundew a lot.

Some more guidance: I think small is cute, that's why I want small plants. That, and I'm in a student apartment, so there really isn't a lot of room for them. Also, I'm not a huge fan of spindly looking plants. I want them to fill out a bit if that's possible (the pigmy pic is a perfect example, so is the aliciae). And if they look sinister/evil/dangerous despite their small size than that's a plus.

Thank you for all of the suggestions so far! I'll definitely check them out. And thank you for the welcome
smile.gif

Thank you all for the compliments!

Anmbia, does your apartment have any south or east facing windows? If so, you can easily do as I have done and produce the same results. Here is one more picture illustrating what I mean:

AF001101.jpg

As you can see, I make do with old pipette dispenser containers and eat a lot of yogurt!

May I ask what your major is and what classes you are taking? Don't eat too many Ramen Noodles!

I do have a southeast window, but its in the living room, and I don't think my housemates will appreciate it if I turn it into a bog garden. The window in my room is more northwest
smile_h_32.gif

I'm in joint honours computer science and statistics, so I'm taking a lot of math right now, but I also have 2 cognitive science electives that I really like.

If you have the wherewithal to emplace arificial lighting over the NW window sill, that would be a good solution.

Hey, check out my signature! I make reference Math being our friend. I just love Statistics! (or sadistics, as many have referred to it) I like it so much that one year I used (some long forgotten distribution - chi squared?) to determine how well my football predictions were for a given season. It was that one with observed minus the expected (squared?)/1-minus alpha over 2, or something to that effect and degrees of freedom. Did that make any sense at all?

Did you know that factorials, perfect squares (cubes,...) and simple intergrals correlate? (You'd be surprised how few people know or find that interesting! Most people have this Eey-or approach to Math: "Not that anybody really cares".  
smile_h_32.gif

I can certainly empathise with your apprehension about converting a living room window into a bog garden. My wife isn't terribly enamoured with my plants on the kitchen window sill. I learned to ask nicely and only put the best of the best, one with a flower on there.

To put pot size and space into perspective, I am posting a picture taken from one of the sills I used at the lab in which I worked. Notice that there are yogurt cups being used, as well as Gladware. I plant pot and container of water need only take up 4 square inches of space. Would it be possible to fly that by them?

AF001101.jpg

I think you posted the same picture twice :p

I don't think I'll be able to put any plants in the window because:
1) it faces the street and so we always keep the curtians closed
2) it has a couch in front of it
3) there is a heater behind the couch, less than a foot under the window sill

The window gets a fabulous ammount of light, I just think the plants would roast back there.  And I wouldn't be able to enjoy them because they would be behind the curtian, behind the couch.

I was thinking that a good solution would be to get a box of some sort (preferably clear), line it with tinfoil (or the outside if its clear) and shine a desk lamp on it.  Or something like that.  I could even mount a smallish fluorescent light onto one of my bookshelves...  I don't want to sink too much money into this though because I've never had anything harder than a guppy to take care of, and so I'm probably going to kill them.  The guppies died too, but it wasn't my fault.  My house caught fire and the tank was destroyed.  I don't really feel like getting more fish, and these plants seem fairly interesting so I thought I'd try them out.

My bad... here's a different picture:

s_Plants.sized.jpg

I like your ideas - simple, money-saving, effective! Go fer it! I also quite understand working with what you have available to you and other limitations. I have also found this hobby, once you discover the Trading Post, to be quite economical. Once I tapped out the garden centres, I found the forum folks to be very generous (seeds, gemmae, cuttings, young plants) and it cost almost nothing.

You had guppies? I love fancy guppies - Metallic Blues, Delta types, snakeskin types,..... Sorry to hear of the accident and their demise.
smile_h_32.gif

Better late than never! Welcome to the forums Anmbia.
smile.gif

Looks like people took care of your question. You'll have to let us know what you end up getting. I'm a drosera fan myself.

Any updates?

Hey, about doing it on the cheap- you should check out a desklamp from a thrift store (that's what I did) and get one o' them 23 watt compact fluorescents (also what I did)
the light one of them bulbs kicks out should allow you to grow maybe 10 different sundews in a wee tray- just a suggestion, but you could get started for about 10 dollars, and then you can help me out by killing some D x tokaiensis (I'll send ya a couple thousand seeds and you can give 'em your best shot)

Hey Carl, are you guys having an Ontario CP meeting this month?

I guess an update is in order: I've got a d. capensis and a d. capillaris comming from one of the friendly forum people. I have to make a trip down to my local home depot/ canadian tire to pick up some soil for the little guys, and while I'm there I'm going to see if they have any venus flytraps for sale. I like the pigmy sundew that jimscott put up on the previous page, but I don't know how easy it will be to get my hands on one.

Mabudon: why would you want me to kill the D x tokaiensis for you? But if you send me the seeds I'll try my best to not kill them.

Back