What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shipping plants to Canada

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
Hello everyone. I need some advice on shipping plants to Canada. I just went and priced shipping from Ga and its not to bad on the cost, but I was informed I had to fill out a custom Declaration for the box. Are D. Capensis, D. capensis var Albino, or D. capilaris restricted to send to Canada? Also since they are crossing the border should I ship bare root with no peat wrapped in a darn paper towel? Also what needs to be declared on the slip? I hear they open every package according to the post office, and they are the most strict. I understand now why most folks only ship to the US, but I will give it a try and see how it goes if the other party is willing. Thanks for your help.

Josh

PM Syble or Mabudon directly. They have some experience in this area.

There wouldn't be any restrictions on those Drosera regarding the ESA or CITES. The person in Canada MAY need an import permit and the plants MAY need a phytosanitary certificate.. Not up on Canadian requirements personally.

The person in Canada should contact the CFIA (Canadian Food Inspection Agency) for information on importing plants houseplants through the mail.

This may help...

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/plaveg/oper/guidee.shtml

Tony

Pretty sure they have to go bare root, but you can also wrap with live sphagnum (99% sure). Since it is a plant in and of itself.

Thanks I will pass this info on to the person and see if she wants to go through this for shipping, or if she wants to just wait on seeds since I know I can ship seeds in an envelope no problems. I have done it with orchid seeds before.
smile.gif

Back