What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A new record!

• Thread starter dewy
  • Start date
That'll fry an egg or two.

Wow Really neat! Talk about Keeping that room clean.

Cheers

That's one spicey meat ball!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]At least it's a dry heat.

True- it's the humidity that gets ya!
biggrin.gif

Humidity or not, how long do you think befor they have them hooked up to tanning boths? I think im in due for one (SALAD FINGERS WHOOT WHOOT)
biggrin.gif

Cheers

Scientists Produce Record Heat; 3.6 Billion Degrees Fahrenheit

March 9, 2006 10:00 p.m. EST

Matthew Borghese - All Headline News Staff Writer

Washington, D.C. (AHN) - Scientists at Sandia National Laboratories have produced a superheated gas, which is hotter than the interior of the Sun.

The gas achieved the hottest temperature ever recorded when it reached 3.6 billion degrees Fahrenheit, or 2 billion degrees Kelvin. For those keeping score, the Sun is only a mere 15 million degrees Kelvin.

Using the the largest X-ray generator in the world, called the "Z Machine," Project Leader, Chris Deeney, says, "At first, we were disbelieving."

"We repeated the experiment many times to make sure we had a true result."

The achievement is detailed in the journal, Physical Review Letters.

And what will they do with it?

confused.gif

does make you wonder. But it would be along way from now befor it would be moved into a wepon, because of the Size of the machine. And What ealse study Temperatures and the effects on MEtals and such (space travel probably)

Cheers

It has no use as a weapon. Something of that magnitude used as a weapon and we're all down the creek, including who ever would "fire" it. Not to mention the VAST amount of energy it must have taken to produce the heat.

Not sure what the reprocussions are... I'll do a bit more research and see what the point of the study is/was or if it was "Hey! I wonder if we can..."

Here is a link to a better article on it.

Here is a big picture of it.

Yay!

I don't think the military had to wait for 3 billion degrees in order to start thinking about weaponry.

I'm sure just a 3 million degree heat would convert a tank instantly into a gas.
smile.gif

so its plasma not gas! ive always wondered what plasma looks like since its not a solid liquid or gas.......
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I don't think the military had to wait for 3 billion degrees in order to start thinking about weaponry.

I'm sure just a 3 million degree heat would convert a tank instantly into a gas.
yes but 3,000,000,000* will turn it in to gas faster than 3,000,000* haha it could be like a super heated plasma cannon!
smile.gif
smile.gif

biggrin.gif

finaly a plasma gun! or cannon?
mad.gif
MUAHAHAHA

Cheers

I was thinking maybe replicator or transporter or holodeck. Was there any mention of dilithium crystals?

No! Dammit, Jim! There are Tribbles in the engine room!!!

You weren't feeding them, were you? Not the grain! It's a Wussian inwention.

Liked that picture so much I emediately made it my wall paper. Even my daughter was impressed with that and the article. Good stuff!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] ive always wondered what plasma looks like since its not a solid liquid or gas......

I'm certain you've seen it, but you've just not known it was plasma.

For instance, lightning bolts are an example of plasma. And I'm dure you've seen plasma lamps before- you know, those globes with a little rod in the middle and when you touch the glass, the stuff that looks like electricity (but is plasma) goes towars your finger? Yeah. You know that I mean.

300px-Plasma-lamp.jpg

The power of the plasma lamp compel you!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ Mar. 12 2006,1:09)]Liked that picture so much I emediately made it my wall paper. Even my daughter was impressed with that and the article. Good stuff!
yea, i was so intrigued by that picture too, stared at it until I was nearly hypnotized.

Back