What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It snowed in San Francisco!

Hey, this is crazy. It snowed tonight! I live essentially at sea level here, and it snowed for the first time in a LONG time, and it actually stayed for a while. We might get more tonight. This is my brother's deck, upstairs from my place. It simply doesn't snow here!

BTW, I moved my N. rajah inside!

Snowinmarch06.jpg

Capslock

...and it was 60 degrees & raining in Buffalo! Is this right?
confused.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

80 degrees and sunny in atlanta for 3 days straight!

Did schools close in San Fransisco?

When I was in middle school, there was a "killer blizzard of the century"* warning on the news for about a week. Everyone panicked and everything was closed and "evacuated" (including schools) a day before the blizzard was supposed to happen. On the day it was supposed to happen, it didn't snow at all! Me and my dad used the days off to go to Tropiflora in Florida.

* in atlanta, a "killer blizzard of the century" is any amount of snow greater than 1/2 inch in depth that persists past noon. The news prdicted several feet, though the deepest snowfall i have ever witnessed in atlanta was about 4 inches.

actually its been pretty warm here in colorado the whole year, snowed about 7 or 8 times which is really low compared to last year, I'm worried about my landscape plants, they already think its spring and there is usually a late year freeze here just before it stays warm like in April, last year 3 feet of Snow in Mid-April!!!! Thats got me scared

We got 2-3 inches of hail. It's staying around, too. So it's better than snow because it hurts more. >:- ) lol

We had some AMAZING lightnight and thunder last night! I was watching bolts and the big ones would blind you! Our house was shakin' like crazy for a couple of the louder rumbles! Awesome storm, especially since there wasn't much wind! With all the hail, I'm GLAD I brought my plants in.

Hey capslock, we're feeling the same storm system down here in San Diego. no snow here but you need chains going up the mountain. it's been cold as a witches you know what and we had severe thunderstorm warnings with the possibility of tornadoes
biggrin.gif

For all you people who live in the plains states or the midwest, I am a certified weather spotter for the national weather service so I am always looking at radar and satellite images of these weather systems so keep an eye out, this storm, which is a cold front is merging with a warm front over Arizona/New mexico/Colorado and building in intensity and it's headed your way.

That snow caused a hell of back up on hwy 101. The news here in Florida was all over that. Anybody get stuck in that?

Sincerely,
Brendhan

It's snowed here yesterday and again this evening. It's about the third time this winter we have had a enough snow on the ground to actually say we had a storm. Most of it melted as fast as it landed and we only got an inch or so. Like Kirk said, we've had a dry winter here in Colorado. Keep hoping I don't have to water my yard before spring. It gets so dry that the grass dies otherwise.

Here in the Central Valley we were supposed to get snow but no cloud came over to make it happen. Boohoo...whats the point of cold if their is no snow to make it interesting?

Also wonder what happened to the grapes etc. this year with this funky weather.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Slurm @ Mar. 11 2006,1:14)]* in atlanta, a "killer blizzard of the century" is any amount of snow greater than 1/2 inch in depth that persists past noon. The news prdicted several feet, though the deepest snowfall i have ever witnessed in atlanta was about 4 inches.
Um... in western NY, we tend to get an inch or two of snow nearly every day - no exaggeration. Heavy emphasis on 'tend' and 'nearly'. After a half foot, we begin to find it mildly annoying. We're also prepared with snowthrowers and snowplows and salt. The streets are cleared efficiently around around here. Now heat, that's a different story...

I heard about that on the news. But I heard some place near SF got 32 inches.

It was 86 degrees here yesterday.
biggrin.gif
That's actually not normal...we're having a little heat wave here. hehe I can't move my plants out yet because March weather is very fickle. Temps are heading back down after today. I did take one of my neps outside and my tillandsias and a few orchids. I wish I could take them all out but I'd just have to bring them back in again. I cleaned up some of my Sarras and saw a few flower buds.
smile.gif

Back