What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I got attacked!!!...

speaking of fire ants!! my grandpa lives on an island in FL called St George island where the place is basically ruled by fireants! i was 10 and in my know it all about bugs phase so i found a hill and started to poke it*poke**poke* then swarms of ants started to come out i stayed away but the second entrance to the hole was right next to me and i didnt see it. i had like 5 stings at once and then i lost my balence because i tripped on a plant(wow how ironic) and i fell on ANOTHER hole and the ants got all over me!! we couldnt get them off once i was free and it was soo bad i had to go to the hospital!!!
smile_h_32.gif
(but i wanst allergic...yay!) the doctor treated me and he said i had approximatly 100-200 stings on my feet alone!?!?! i was off my feet the rest of springbreak (
smile_h_32.gif
) and now i know not to poke fire ant holes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
chiggers drive me friggin insane! they itch and itch until you go crazy i have learned a new way to get them out. put a deoderant that is like a gel on it...the reason? it suffocated them.
biggrin.gif

We here in Florida use the fire ants to prevent the snowbirds from moving down here. Or at the very least prevent them from driving on the highways.

We also have secondary means of keeping the northerners out. Love bugs to plaster your car and clog your radiator. We have hurricanes too. We use them to blow the snowbirds right back across the Mason Dixon line. And finally we have humidity, those of us who been here for a while actually like it when it is 95F with 100% humidity. Winter in Florida is anything below 70F. We put on thermals if it drops below 50F.

Hopefully between the fireants, love bugs, hurricanes, and humidity. We can keep this state snowbird free. ;)

Did I mention the mosquitoes can carry off small children.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Understudy @ Mar. 16 2006,11:12)]We here in Florida use the fire ants to prevent the snowbirds from moving  down here. Or at the very least prevent them from driving on the highways.

We also have secondary means of keeping the northerners out. Love bugs to plaster your car and clog your radiator. We have hurricanes too. We use them to blow the snowbirds right back across the Mason Dixon line. And finally we have humidity, those of us who been here for a while actually like it when it is 95F with 100% humidity. Winter in Florida is anything below 70F. We put on thermals if it drops below 50F.

Hopefully between the fireants, love bugs,  hurricanes, and humidity. We can keep this state snowbird free. ;)

Did I mention the mosquitoes can carry off small children.
Ok you are so right! i HATE the heat, and it's only spring! I am covered in mosquito bites, along with the darn fire ants. I'm scared to death about experiencing my first tornado, and I have no idea what a love bug is. Oh and just so you know, the drivers here SUCK! I'm not saying Canadians are any better, but holy cow! They are slllowwwww and annoying! Last week my friend and I were driving on the highway and some guy in a SUV came up behind us and was driving like a mad man, we had to slow down and the dork thought we did it on purpose, we then went into the other lane to let him go but he also changed lanes at the exact same time as us, so he got really upset about that, he then went back to the other lane, came up right next to us and deliberatly ran into our car with his!!! He ran us right off the road! My friend got very upset and being a guy, sped after him. We were on a high speed chase and I was begging my friend to slow down and relax but he wanted the jerks licence plate number. He had to stop at a red light so we got the number. It was scary though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Mar. 16 2006,9:10)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] He was just looking at me like, what the heck is your problem women??

That's how we look at all the yankee snowbirds.
Yeah yeah yeah
smile_l_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Mar. 16 2006,10:35)]speaking of fire ants!! my grandpa lives on an island in FL called St George island where the place is basically ruled by fireants! i was 10 and in my know it all about bugs phase so i found a hill and started to poke it*poke**poke* then swarms of ants started to come out i stayed away but the second entrance to the hole was right next to me and i didnt see it. i had like 5 stings at once and then i lost my balence because i tripped on a plant(wow how ironic) and i fell on ANOTHER hole and the ants got all over me!! we couldnt get them off once i was free and it was soo bad i had to go to the hospital!!!
smile_h_32.gif
(but i wanst allergic...yay!) the doctor treated me and he said i had approximatly 100-200 stings on my feet alone!?!?! i was off my feet the rest of springbreak (
smile_h_32.gif
) and now i know not to poke fire ant holes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
chiggers drive me friggin insane! they itch and itch until you go crazy i have learned a new way to get them out. put a deoderant that is like a gel on it...the reason? it suffocated them.
biggrin.gif
That's terrible
smile_h_32.gif
yeah don't poke them anymore.

Florida drivers are great, they will eat their own young. I will say this driving in Florida has helped me to survive driving in other states.

The problem is really not Florida drivers, it's all the different drivers from other places that come to Florida and try to drive like they normally do.

Rules on driving in Florida:
1. You must have a car, public transportation sucks. This is a big state and has a 6ft water table so there is no subway system.
2. Drive fast. Speed limit signs are for decrotive purposes only.
3. Turn signals are optional.
4. If you are not going more than 10 miles over the limit stay in the right lane.
5. If you do not know how to get to where you are going stay off the road. The best way for you to get plowed is to slow down trying to figure out where you need to go.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Understudy @ Mar. 17 2006,12:20)]Florida drivers are great, they will eat their own young. I will say this driving in Florida has helped me to survive driving in other states.

The problem is really not Florida drivers, it's all the different drivers from other places that come to Florida and try to drive like they normally do.

Rules on driving in Florida:
1. You must have a car, public transportation sucks. This is a big state and has a 6ft water table so there is no subway system.
2. Drive fast. Speed limit signs are for decrotive purposes only.
3. Turn signals are optional.
4. If you are not going more than 10 miles over the limit stay in the right lane.
5. If you do not know how to get to where you are going stay off the road. The best way for you to get plowed is to slow down trying to figure out where you need to go.
Most of the people here that drive crappy are Floridians. They all have Florida licence plates(which doesn't make them native Floridians but oh well). And I noticed the turning signal is optional thing and it drives me nuts! Why can't you help someone out by letting them know what they're planning on doing BEFORE they do it? USE YOUR TURN SIGNALS PEOPLE! My friend won't let me take the bus here, he says it's not safe. My friend lives in a SMALL community outside of Orlando, called Tangerine and all the people here are old and drive verrryyyy slllooowwww
confused.gif

Actually the buses are perfectly safe near Orlando, the only real problem is that nobody can figure out how to use the bus schedule. Turn signals should be optional - if the driver behind me can't realize that I need to turn, they shouldn't be on the road! Too bad you're leaving Fl in March - love bug season in central Fl starts in early April. While you're looking down for the fire ant mounds don't forget to check out for the poisonous snakes, the scorpions,alligators, and the occasional ticked off carnivorous manatee.

Hey Niki! Welcome back to TF! And welcome to the Florida - land of fire ants amd alligators and Albino Clarias - oh my! Oh yeah, the heat and humidity is also annoying! Can you even understand the natives?
smile_n_32.gif

The  problem is that most of the people in Florida are not native to Florida. So Floridians are not the problem on the roads.

Did I mention our version of the roach (Palmetto Bug) This 2+inch monster is capable of driving a semi truck, it laughs off most pesticides, and if you step on it, it will wrestle with your ankle. Also they are so nasty cps don't eat them. Wait until one of these little demons is in your kitchen. Most roaches run when you turn on lights these guys put on sun glasses and ask that you open the beer. Meeting these guys for the first time is always an experience.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (buster1 @ Mar. 17 2006,8:56)]Actually the buses are perfectly safe near Orlando, the only real problem is that nobody can figure out how to use the bus schedule. Turn signals should be optional - if the driver behind me can't realize that I need to turn, they shouldn't be on the road! Too bad you're leaving Fl in March - love bug season in central Fl starts in early April. While you're looking down for the fire ant mounds don't forget to check out for the poisonous snakes, the scorpions,alligators, and the occasional ticked off carnivorous manatee.
This is not true, cause when they drive real fast and then all of a sudden slam on the breaks just miliseconds before they turn...well, those people shouldn't be on the road. Like I said, this is a small community, so it's either they drive like snails or like crazy, never inbetween!
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (buster1 @ Mar. 17 2006,8:56)]Actually the buses are perfectly safe near Orlando, the only real problem is that nobody can figure out how to use the bus schedule. Turn signals should be optional - if the driver behind me can't realize that I need to turn, they shouldn't be on the road! Too bad you're leaving Fl in March - love bug season in central Fl starts in early April. While you're looking down for the fire ant mounds don't forget to check out for the poisonous snakes, the scorpions,alligators, and the occasional ticked off carnivorous manatee.
There are CP's in Florida?!?! Where?? Like I said I'm moving back here for good, so I'll see the Love Bugs sooner or later. What are they anyways? I'm already looking for the posionous snakes, and I've seen 2 alligators already, and the manatees are not carnivorous
smile_n_32.gif
I went to go see them 2 weeks ago, they were really cool. I got some pics of them. I didn't know there were scorpions here, I was too busy running away from the Black Widows in my friends shed
smile_k_ani_32.gif
That part really freaks me out! Ok, are you trying to scare me away??

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Mar. 17 2006,9:54)]Hey Niki! Welcome back to TF! And welcome to the Florida - land of fire ants amd alligators and Albino Clarias - oh my! Oh yeah, the heat and humidity is also annoying! Can you even understand the natives?
smile_n_32.gif
Hey Jim Scott Scoot
smile_m_32.gif
Long time no talk. Thanks for the welcome back. Hehe, I can understand the natives cause my friend is from TN so he has very strong southern accent and I can understand him...sometimes
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Understudy @ Mar. 17 2006,11:55)]The  problem is that most of the people in Florida are not native to Florida. So Floridians are not the problem on the roads.

Did I mention our version of the roach (Palmetto Bug) This 2+inch monster is capable of driving a semi truck, it laughs off most pesticides, and if you step on it, it will wrestle with your ankle. Also they are so nasty cps don't eat them. Wait until one of these little demons is in your kitchen. Most roaches run when you turn on lights these guys put on sun glasses and ask that you open the beer. Meeting these guys for the first time is always an experience.
I've only seen little roaches in the house. Stop trying to scare me
smile_h_32.gif
You don't have to worry about me driving in Florida anyways cause I can't drive, so that's not an issue, so you should be welcoming me with open arms
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Trapper7 @ Mar. 17 2006,2:32)]I've only seen little roaches in the house. Stop trying to scare me
smile_h_32.gif
You don't have to worry about me driving in Florida anyways cause I can't drive, so that's not an issue, so you should be welcoming me with open arms
smile_n_32.gif
Some place have rabbit season, some have deer season, we have tourist season. We love tourist, they stay crunchy even in milk. >;-D

And yes there are many native cps to Florida. Drosera Fillforms Giant, Some varieties of Sarracenia, and lots of Utricularia. We are hoping to discover a version large enough to feed tourist to and put it at the entrance of Disney World.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You don't have to worry about me driving in Florida anyways cause I can't drive,

Neither can any of the rest of the yankee snowbirds that try tro hide behind a native license plate.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Last week my friend and I were driving on the highway and some guy in a SUV came up behind us and was driving like a mad man, we had to slow down

Point proven.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Mar. 17 2006,5:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You don't have to worry about me driving in Florida anyways cause I can't drive,

Neither can any of the rest of the yankee snowbirds that try tro hide behind a native license plate.  

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Last week my friend and I were driving on the highway and some guy in a SUV came up behind us and was driving like a mad man, we had to slow down

Point proven.
You're a pain!
confused.gif

Yes, but we all already know that.

smile_k_ani_32.gif

I was curious after reading through all of this, And went to find out what the scientific names of Fire ants are and found a Ant keeping forum... you know what?

PEOPLE KEEP these guys as pets...
confused.gif

How?? is what i want to know! Probably after mating flights but still!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Cheers

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes_ak @ Mar. 28 2006,8:13)]
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I was curious after reading through all of this, And went to find out what the scientific names of Fire ants are and found a Ant keeping forum... you know what?

PEOPLE KEEP these guys as pets...
confused.gif

How?? is what i want to know! Probably after mating flights but still!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Cheers
I have had many ant farms,and they are fun to keep. Without a queen, a colony in captivity usually lasts about 2-4 months. All you do is give them food and clean water, and they do everything else; mainly dig. Here is the red imported fire ant scientific name - Solenopsis invicta.
dewy

Back