What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I got attacked!!!...

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
By an army of red fire ants! I've been in Florida for the past 6 weeks and I was walking my friends dog and stepped on an ant hill. I didn't notice and just stood there for about a minute. Next thing I know, I feel this horrible burning feeling on my foot. I look down and there are about 100 red fire ants all over my foot! (I was wearing sandles, no socks) I totally freaked out and started hitting them with my hand. I got bit about 50 times. My foot is all swollen and has lots of little red dots on it. I'm in pain, what do I do? It felt like each one was putting a cigarette butt out on my foot! My foot looks and feels horrible. Any suggestions on how I can make it feel better? Cold water? Some sort of cream? HELP ME! By the way, I'm moving to Florida as soon as I get my citizenship, so I better watch where I'm stepping
smile_l_32.gif

Hehe, I won't be a snowbird no more
smile_n_32.gif

~Trapper7~

Ammonia denatures the proteins in the fire ant venom.

That is just the traditional welcome we give yankee snowbirds.

You've now been officially welcomed to the south.

When are you moving to NC T7? I hear the varmints are far worse there!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Mar. 16 2006,6:37)]That is just the traditional welcome we give yankee snowbirds.

You've now been officially welcomed to the south.
LOL, thanks a bunch! You could have just given me a hug or something!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JBL @ Mar. 16 2006,7:40)]When are you moving to NC T7?  I hear the varmints are far worse there!
I'm not moving to NC! I'm moving to Florida
smile_n_32.gif
Where did you get NC from??

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JBL @ Mar. 16 2006,7:40)]When are you moving to NC T7?  I hear the varmints are far worse there!
Oh oops, I forgot to answer your question
smile_n_32.gif
I'm going back to Canada on March-27th, then the next day I'm going to do all I have to do to try and get my American Citizenship, so whenever I get it, is when I'm coming back to Florida
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Mar. 16 2006,5:52)]Ammonia denatures the proteins in the fire ant venom.
Thanks! I'll try that
smile.gif

Hey Trapper7

No joke. Expect the likely development of water-filled pustules. Blisters form within 4 hours, pustules form within a few days. Scratching or breaking the pustules can result in secondary bacterial infections. These pustules take about 10 days to two weeks to heal.

Use topical steroid ointments and oral antihistamines to relieve the itching and swelling. Consult your doctor if you start seeing complications.

And indeed, congratulations---you never forget your "first time"!

smile.gif

Barry

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barry-Rice @ Mar. 16 2006,7:53)]Hey Trapper7

No joke. Expect the likely development of water-filled pustules. Blisters form within 4 hours, pustules form within a few days. Scratching or breaking the pustules can result in secondary bacterial infections. These pustules take about 10 days to two weeks to heal.

Use topical steroid ointments and oral antihistamines to relieve the itching and swelling. Consult your doctor if you start seeing complications.

And indeed, congratulations---you never forget your "first time"!

smile.gif

Barry
smile.gif
Thanks for the info! You totally sound like a doctor
smile_n_32.gif
My foot is not really attractive right now (not that it ever is) but it looks like I have pimples all over it
smile_h_32.gif
Oh well, I'll get over it. I keep having flashbacks of all the ants all over my foot, it's freaking me out. I'm scared to go in the grass now and I'm constantly looking at the ground! I'm petrified
smile_h_32.gif

Stop whinning, I've been bit hundreds if not thousands of times. It's not that bad. If they advace above the knees then you have a right to carry on about it. Otherwise it's just a few blisters. Besides fireant venom is good for you.

It's only really bad if you have an allergic reaction... and you should know that relatively soon afterwards.

Ahhh... the fire ant dance. No lessons required. You will get better as you get more experience. I still do the dance occasionally.

Florida Native Dyflam

Almost everybody that does the fireant dance also sings the fireants song. While each person does the fireant dance a little different, they always sings the song the same. It goes, "AHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHH GET EM OFFFF AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Mar. 16 2006,8:20)]Stop whinning, I've been bit hundreds if not thousands of times. It's not that bad. If they advace above the knees then you have a right to carry on about it. Otherwise it's just a few blisters. Besides fireant venom is good for you.
I aint whinning!
smile_l_32.gif
Ok I am, but I'm a girl, so I'm allowed
smile_n_32.gif

Hey, I'll write to you when the chiggers get me! We don't have those in Canada, but they sure do in Florida! And I know you've had some experience with those...and getting stung inbetween the eyes by a waspe
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dyflam @ Mar. 16 2006,8:26)]It's only really bad if you have an allergic reaction... and you should know that relatively soon afterwards.

Ahhh... the fire ant dance. No lessons required. You will get better as you get more experience. I still do the dance occasionally.

Florida Native Dyflam
Yup, I did the dance AND the song! I was so embaressed
smile_o_32.gif
The dog I was walking was on leash and I was dragging him around cause I was freaking out so bad. He was just looking at me like, what the heck is your problem women??
smile_l_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] He was just looking at me like, what the heck is your problem women??

That's how we look at all the yankee snowbirds.

Hey Trapper, Ozzy lives in NC--that's why I asked when you're moving there!  By the time you arrive though, he'll be the only one left.  The state thinks it's easier for the millions there now to evacuate than to ship Ozzy out.
smile_m_32.gif

I ain't leaving NC again, everytime I leave I get into trouble.

Good! I can't wait to visit in August! Show me where the best chiggers are--OK? I've never had the pleasure of fire ants. I see a Wild Boys episode in the making.

I'll show you some good fire ant hills. Don't worry about finding chiggers, they'll find you.

Back