What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New carnivorous plant genus?

thats not completely true when i beleived the joke and heard about them being sold i thought that it wasnt going to be a good idea

Wow, I was wondering why this thread was growing so much...

I read it the first day and wasn't impressed. So I never checked back until now.

Anyway, It looks like some biennial plant, rossete form the first year (the picture would be first year growth), climbing the second year. Possibly a mullein.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ April 02 2006,8:58)]When I posted thething about selling the plants, Ithought there would be outrage, because we dug up a very rare plant and were selling them. Nobody cared about that at all, they just wanted to have one.
Ozzy, that's when I smelled a rat. It didn't seem right that you were aiding and abetting rather than leading the lynching party and supplying all the rope. I did get sucked in at first by the new species discovery. But Barry and company stripping a CP site of a newly discovered species and you helping. Add in your penchant for April Fool's Day pranks, nope, I ain't gonna buy it. If this had been your first prank and not your third though, I'd have probably taken it hook, line and stinker
smile_n_32.gif

I think the plant looks like an immature "nettle", as we called them in Ohio.  They get about three feet high and have a ferocious sting.
Is anyone familiar with that plant?

Found it.

Prickly lettuce
Lactuca serriola
Annual/biennial; spreads by seeds; height to 5 feet; found across U.S. except southernmost FL; flowers July through September.

Hoe or pull plants as you see them, or cut taproot below soil line. Wear gloves. Attracts beneficial insects and so may be fine for outlying areas, but can play host to lettuce diseases.

It's not Prickly Lettuce. Maybe I should post some unaltered pics.

85148845O512148138.jpg

85148775O678248675.jpg

85148628O721689414.jpg

85148504O503129810.jpg

I knew that the members that have been here for the lasst two years, would be tipped off by the post about digging the plants and selling them. I could have just ended the joke there or add second part. I chose to add the second part and see what happened.

BigCarnivourKid, You should have spotted the joke from the beginning. You had a heads up two weeks before the post was made.

Oh yeah look in the second pic at the leaf on the right. Seeif you see anything weird.

Hey Pak you like the pics?
smile_m_32.gif

----------------------
As soon as I saw the pics downloading, I was all set to make a post. Shame on you!!! >:-E

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ April 03 2006,3:26)]BigCarnivourKid, You should have spotted the joke from the beginning. You had a heads up two weeks before the post was made.
Yeah, I know
confused.gif
Especially after mentioning in another part of the forum something to the effect that if you and Barry put your heads together for a prank we (usins on the forum) were in for it. I was a tad slow on the uptake
smile_n_32.gif

I told you to go ahead and buy your ticket to Iraq.

Well to be honest i made a fool of my self on 2 other forums.. i think you guys got me best last year..

in the military a guy got told he couldnt have his VFT cause it put out noxious fumes... ill show you the post...
he ended up haveing ot get rid of it... Ranking and every thing..

Cheers

I saw this the first day it was posted and totally fell for it! I was even telling some of my friends about it
smile_n_32.gif

Great joke guys! You definitely got me
smile.gif

So it was a joke..... Hahahahahahahaha, enough.

Hey Folks,

I was only a pawn in a chessgame orchestrated by giants. A mere mote in a god's eye. A feather in the wind. Blame Ozzy for all this. He made me do it, and I was powerless to resists his threats.

For what it's worth, I was seriously suckered into one of his previous practical jokes (remember the story of his plants imminent destruction by court order?), so I know what the burn feels like.

Cheers

Barry

Don't try to weasel out of the deed after the fact. You couldn't resist helping me with this.
So who wants to sign up for next year?

Anything you do now will only work by proxy. You can fool the newbs, but if you want to get others, you'll have to stay behind the scenes and be the puppet master. Dance puppets, dance!
smile_n_32.gif

How wrong you are JBL. I'll prove it nextyear.

Don't forget...he's the Prank Meister!

OK, so on top of being a Moderator, he's now the Prank Minister of TerraForums?

Their should be a special Spot on the forums for Like Prank miester... Its like one step above Moderater!
laugh.gif

Cheers

Back