What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ohio CP growers

Seeing how it could snow up to Memorial day... When do you usually bring out your plants? I have mine outside now because the weather has been milder and it has been raining which is a plus. Is it all right to just keep them out there now or would it be wiser to bring them back in when it drops? Just curious what you guys do, I want to start growing again outside!

This year I brought my plants out of dormancy ('fridge method) back in January and have been putting them outside on nice days (Temp 40°+) since February.

EDIT: I know I'm in Colorado not Ohio, but we're about in the same hardiness zones.

mine are outside already, night and day. they are in huge pots, so unless it gets real cold for an extended time, i don't think they'll freeze solid. i know that north carolina gets snow once in a while.

So you say its ok to put them out?

biggrin.gif

Cheers

I think it depends on the plants.

I wouldn't start putting any tropicals outside yet that have been growing inside all winter, but any temperates should be fine.

It all depends on what plants you have and what kind of pot you are using. When I lived in Ohio, I kept my vft, pitcher plants and some sundews outside all year long. I grew ithem in an inground bog.
If you have plants and they'll sprouting flowers or new leaves, you may want to protect them from frost.

So if its still frosting then i shouldnt put them out?

cheers

What plants are you talking about?

When could i possibly put out my other plants (Neps idealy Sundews will stay indoors) That arent VFT's and Sarr's?

Cheers

Let see...I start putting my hardier plants (Saracenia & VFT's) outside when weather starts warming up. Like around 40° or warmer. If the temps drop quick, VFTs, some dews and Sarras can handle a light frost with little problem. Once the overnight temps stay above 40°f or so, I leave all my plants outside 24/7. My N. ventricosa (I have three) are hung in my apple tree where they get dappled light and all the bugs they can catch.

When I was in ohio I put my neps out in june. They loved it. I put my neps out here last weekend, although I may have to bring them in tonight.

Do you mean night temps around 40+ for the Temperate CP's (Sarrs VFT's) Cause i could put them out their was just a frost last night and i was worried that i would have to wait LONGER!!
confused.gif

Cheers

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes_ak @ April 04 2006,7:29)]Do you mean night temps around 40+ for the Temperate CP's (Sarrs VFT's) Cause i could put them out their was just a frost last night and i was worried that i would have to wait LONGER!!
confused.gif

Cheers
Yes, once it starts staying 40° or warmer at night, It's usually safe for me to leave my Sarrs and VFTs and other CPs outside overnight. Just keep an eye on the weather and be ready to bring in your plants if it's decides to get cold again.

ill probably just stick to The Sarr's and VFT's till about june i will put out the Neps...
smile_n_32.gif

Cheers

Hehehe, take your time and get the feel for how your plants adapt to being outside. It took me a while to realize that being at a higher altitude affected which plants I could have in direct sun and which ones I needed to put in some shade. My pings for example, would get smaller and smaller if I put them in direct sun through the summer, sometimes 'till they just disappeared to nothing. Then in winter the ones that survived would grow larger again. I eventually realized that the sunlight was stronger here than say California because there was less air to filter out UV and other light frequencies. The pings weren't able to handle the stronger light and I have to put them in partial shade.

i just have sarr's and VFT's i plan on sticking with them.. if i get pings they will be mexican... or something that stays indoors

cheers

I stick my mexipings outside with all my other CPs. They're the ones that shrink in sunlight
laugh.gif

Well if the weather keeps up ill be able to stick my plants outdoors!

Whooo hooo ill put mine out when i get home!!! Whoo... should i gradualy put them out like if you were putting them out from indoors or can i just put them out rightt away?

cheers

Cheers

Back