What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP models

I'm setting up a small raised bog CP exhibit at the aquarium where I work (Atlantis Marine World) and I was thinking it would be cool to have some larger-than-life cp models for people to get a closer look at the workings of a trap (perhaps cross sections).  It seems to me I've seen something like this before at a museum, but I can't remember where.  Preliminary searches have turned up nothing.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might find something like this?

Thanks,
Todd

Try contacting the Carolina Biological Supply Co. in North Carolina. They usually have many CP related items.

Back in late 2003/2004 I created this urethane Nepenthes inermis pitcher model kit and a jungle diorama used in the box art photo using silk plants and logs and stuff and sold a few:
nepenthesinermis.jpg

I would have loved to create a whole line of kits of every species trap but they didn't sell well enough to justify making the molds for new species.
Gneerlly speaking,CP growers aren't modellers and modellers aren't CP growers!
smile_h_32.gif

Talk about a Good lookin Coffie cup...

:-D

WEll any ways i think its a cool idea.

cheers

I did a forum search and found topics by elgecko and Rubra, who both had pictures of bladderworts in action. Unfortunately, their pictures are no longer being hosted on the forums. You may want to contact them directly.

P.S. - Did you happen to mention to your brother, Billy, about me (Scott Straus)?

If anyone wants a model made of a CP let me know. I'm a sculptor and would gladly trade my work for some CP's. I use super sculpey III for a nice, hard, plastic finish.

CPRUS have you got a website? I'd love to see your work!
My personal work site is:
ToyRiot.com

Ever tried Super Sculpey mixed with Premo sculpey? It can hold a lot more details and be tooled after baking a lot easier than sculpey III. Ever tried toy sculptors wax such as Azbro or TMS?

Don't have a site yet, I'm currently completing several projects out of sculpey and wax. Never tried toy sculptors wax before but it seems like something I should try. Great stuff you have there though. Are you self taught or did you take classes?

Dang Swords, what a cool model! I'd love to give it a try but I've never sculpted before. Would it be hard for a sculpting newbie to attempt that?

that would make a good sippy cup for little kids, and maybe a VFT bowl? and a sundew spoon?

lol... CP Dinning Sets

Cheers

Yeah, I'm self taught (well, books help a lot to get the idea of how to create forms). In school my teacher only was interested in modern art, if it looked like something then it wasn't any good. He always told me that fantasy art was a directionless pursuit and would lead nowhere.

That N inermis kit was the first thing I ever sculpted outside high school. The original was done in Super sculpey + premo, molded in GI-1000 silicone and cast into plastic with Monster Cast Urethane resin .

But to just have a few for a science presentation you would not have to go through those steps as sculpey can be baked hard and painted and be semi-permanent (it will eventually get brittle and start to break up after some years).

Leopardgecko: Here's a few tips to get you started:

Build your basic shape with a wad of tinfoil over a wire stand so that your trap will not have to be held while you work on it as sculpey will pick up fingerprints and indentations as it's soft and pliable not at all like toy wax which is almost like carving plastic and requires heated tools to work with. This foil core ill not only conserve sculpey but also help cook it inside and out for better hardness.

place the first layer of sculpey on the foil core and the another thin layer and stert to smooth.... Smoothing takes the longest, you'll need to smooth and smooth, when dips in the surface appear add a small pinch of flattened sculpey into the dip and smooth some more. This sucks but is an important step to achieve a professional/lifelike surface. If you're going for a more museum like bronze sculpture style "Fine art" this type is almost never smoothed and always has that "clay" look. so it's up to you to decide what you're going for.

Once you have the shape of the trap then add the details such as peristome ridges, hairs, veins, spurs, etc. using a few sponges and stiff brushes it's possible to make slight impressions and give a lifelike pored/texture to the surface after you're done smoothing Always go for the overall shape first then the details.

Sculpey should be baked and then primed with a primer spraypaint like testors or krylon before painting. I like acrylics or cell vinyls for richer cartoon charachter colors.

Back