What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First car

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ April 09 2006,10:56)]The only reason I can think of to do any of those things is because you have to follow fads. I've never followed fads and I never will. There are no other reason to lower cars, or put stupid looking rims on it, and that's so people will think you're cool. There's no way any of those things can make the car drive better. Remember, if you have try and convince others that you're cool, you're really not.
Your kidding right?

Fads? I have 2 heavily modified RX-7's and I can tell you that I did NOT do it to look "cool". I did it because I race both of them at the track. Bigger, lighter rims with low profile tires grip FAR better than the factory crap, and it could really save your but in a pinch.

I could care less what other people think of my car because my 19 year old Mazda can and has smoked Ferraris on the track. Thats why I don't judge other peoples cars without knowing all the facts as should you.

you guys are mean (but funny). hubby and i find ourselves laughing daily at cars people try to modify... i espicially love the ones who spend more money on the rims than the car itself. (at the same time, i drive a beetle- so people laugh just at that simple fact)

none of our cars have warranties, so they are modified. the toyota is really old and very heavily modified. i guess at the time, this was a good hobby for the hubby. he was a single soldior in iraq, and other places. i'm not sure what my point is... oh yeah, get a car that you will enjoy and can get a good deal on. as for the modifications, wheels are just cosmetic. sounds like it would be a good thing to get a reliable car at a decent price. the end.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]he only reason I can think of to do any of those things is because you have to follow fads.

I didn't say ANY mods, just the ones that are done for the sole purpose to get attention. I understand doing changes to improve performance, gas mileage, etc. You can't tell me that putting 3ft diameter rims on a car improves acceleration,

498913_130_full.jpg

4144-large_red01.jpg

498913_103_full.jpg

or lowering the car so it's undersides drags the ground makes a more comfortable ride. Or spinner rims does anything except amuse idiots.
The same cars I'm talking about always seems to either have modified the exhaust so it sounds like the motor is about to blow, or have the stereo systems that you can hear from a half mile away. All these things all done just to gain attention, to feel important and be noticed..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ April 09 2006,11:11)]The same cars I'm talking about always seems to either have modified the exhaust so it sounds like the motor is about to blow, or have the stereo systems that you can hear from a half mile away. All these things all done just to gain attention, to feel important and be noticed..
I havn't read your posts before this but read this part and had to post. My Dodge Dakota 4x4 has oversized tires, Magnaflow exhaust, and a kickin butt stereo. None is done to get attention. I do it becuase the larger tires improves ride (the extra rubber gives extra cush) and is better off road (and yeah, i like how it looks)- the Exhaust sounds awesome, gives less back pressure and improves performace as well as gas milage... And the stereo is because I love music and when you love music no factory or near factory stereo is going to be good enough.

I think you agree with all I said Andrew. Look at the pics, these cars are not going offroad.
I love music too, you don't have to have so much bass that people in there house with their tv's one can hear the bass line.

The rims on those cars is crazy... But I think you may be underestimating the volume of my stereo. GRANTED my stereo is CLEAR and you hear it ALL... I don't have a factory system with 3 12" in the back.... I upgraded IT ALL. I'm working on finishing my cardomin.com site... And you will be able to see what i'm talking about soon.....

just buy a used $2000 car and put these baby's on:

Pimpstar Wheels, the next level of ridiculous

ohhh yeaaah, baby. what the heck was i thinking with my BBS wheels when i coulda been sooo super-awesome with these! perhaps we should put them on the miata then... ozzy will be SOOOOOO crazy jealous then.

Hey, cars have been about style for as long as there have been cars. I don't judge what anyone does to their cars because it's just all in fun. Whatever makes you happy!

However, I wouldn't put hard-earned cash down on anything that was driven hard or heavily modified. There are TONS of used cars on the market in the US. It's proably the best, cheapest place to buy used cars on the planet. Fine one that some old lady owned, and then enjoy many years of trouble-free service. Modify it yourself if you want - it should be YOUR personal expression anyway.

Personally, I drive a cheap, but fun and funky Scion Xb. It fits my big dogs, gets 30mpg, and will go forever. But for fun, I have a 1966 Sunbeam Tiger, which is just about to return from the shop after a fairly comprehensive overhaul. Woohoo!!!

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ April 09 2006,1:11)]I didn't say ANY mods, just the ones that are done for the sole purpose to get attention. I understand doing changes to improve performance, gas mileage, etc. You can't tell me that putting 3ft diameter rims on a car improves acceleration,
I never disagreed with any of that. You said the only reason you could think of modding a car is for attention. You were throwing me and everyone else who races their car in the same bag as those idiots.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CopcarFC @ April 09 2006,4:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (scottychaos @ April 09 2006,12:04)]based on those pathetically lame wheels, I would totally avoid this particular car. The previous owner obviously wanted a sports car, and tried to make a 4-door sedan look as "cool" as possible (and he failed miserably)
but anyone who is so concerned with "coolness" that they will waste a thousand dollars (or more) on lame wheels for a 4-door sedan is obviously someone who isnt concerned with conservative and proper care of the car..

to me, those wheels just scream "dont buy me! my owner is a moron!"
sorry..

Scot
You cant call the owner a moron over the rims.  You don't know any of the facts.  

Maybe the owner bought the car like that.  Or maybe the factory rims were damaged and he had those collecting dust in his garage.  Don't be so quick to cast judgment on another guys car untill you know the facts.
yes I can..the photo is the only fact I need to declare the owner of that car a moron.

If he (and of course its a "he") added those wheels himself, he is a moron.

and if he (again, no question its a "he") bought the car that way, he is also a moron.

sorry..no getting around it!
smile_l_32.gif

Scot

Here is my pretty finished site....
adnedarn's cardomain site
Does anyone else have a site featuring their car and the mods they've done?
If you browse around cardomain.com you will INFACT find alot of people who go overboard. On the other side of that, there are quite a few people who make thier rides simply AWESOME and have me drooling in envy.
Andrew

i agree with you Those Arent very road worthy

i have a list of cars im interested in... tell me what you guys think, My Moms BF knows a guy who goes to car auctions quite often and a guy who wons a used car dealership...
smile_n_32.gif

Ford Probe 96

Pontiac Grand Am GT 96

Mercurey Cougar 97

Monte Carlo 95-98

Any imput would be great! IF they are deceant cars, how the modles and those years preaty much were for the cars.
cool.gif

Thanks
Cheers

CopcarFC, you're reading what you want into what I said. I would advise you to read my entire post. If you do you'll see what I said. I'll dissect it here for you so there will be no further misunderstandings.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have seen modification on cars and my first thought was what an idiot.

Nowhere in there did I say ALL modifications. What this line means is that some of the modifications I have seen caused me to think they owner of the car is an idiot. It does not mean that I think anybody who has ever modified their car is an idiot.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Like the new moron fad of taking a caprice and putting the huge rims on it to lift it about 3 ft off the ground.
I saw a truck yesterday, the front tires were normal, but the back was so low the bumper was dragging the ground.

Those are two examples of the modifications that I do believe are the same thing as a person putting a flashy neon sign on their car that says "Owner is an idiot"

After those two examples I said

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The only reason I can think of to do any of those things is because you have to follow fads

If you'll notice the words "any of those things" more important look at the word "those". Since I added the word "those" it makes this statement refer to the paragraph before it. So in simple terms this statement means that I think people who put the giant rims and lower their cars so low it drags the ground are just following fads. No where in in any of my posts do I say all people that have a modification on their car is and idiot. If I did please post it in your next response.

Believe it or not, I have some modifications on my truck.

d1_3.JPG

78_3.JPG

13_1.JPG

Please note the aftermarket side mirrors, rollbars, and bumpers. Also notice the flag and what I'm most proud of is the window AC.

You can't see it in these pics but I have a bumper sticker on the back that say "Trendy people sucks"

And believe it or not but this truck sold for $10,100.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scottychaos @ April 09 2006,4:41)]If he (and of course its a "he") added those wheels himself, he is a moron.

and if he (again, no question its a "he") bought the car that way, he is also a moron.
are you implying that only males would modify a car? this is absolutely wrong. no doubt about it...

tech...

I know that girls mod their cars too, but you have to admit that at least 90% are male.

yep, sorry to say that modifying cars is mostly a "male" thing. it was implied that it is a 100% male thing. wasn't directed at you either way.

keep in mind that the original car in question is simply an early 90's honda accord with a set of aftermarket rims and tires on it, and up to this point, there is no indication that there are any other aftermarket parts on it. aftermarket rims and tires do not equal a vehicle that was absolutely abused. now, if you pop the hood on this accord, and find an H22 stuffed in there, i would bet money that it was at least raced occaisionally (and yes, i know that only a few people on here will understand that comment, and what an "H22" is).

i want to see some picts of the rx7 race cars? fc's? fd's?

tech...

Alright Oz, I'm really not the type to drag out an agrument so I'll just say this and leave it at that.

Go back and read your 3rd post. You heavily implied that anyone who mods their car is just following fads and they are idiots. I was just letting you know there are exceptions.

Tech: There is kinda a pic of one of my RX7's in my profile. It's dark out so maybe I will take some tommarow. Right now I have one FB, two FC's, and one FD.

nepenthes_ak: Of those cars I would definatly stick with the Probe. Those things are really cheap to fix and last. It also looks the best.

Oz: There is no way in hell that truck sold for 10k+. I gotta see proof of that. If it did sell for that much then the buyer is more of an idiot that the guys putting 38" rims on a caprice. Either that or you have a serious beast of an engine under that hood (twin turbo LS1? Hemi? Northstar?)

I heavily implied that people who do modification just to get draw attention to themselves are following fads. I didn't say or imply that all modifications are just to be cool.
We'll leave it at that.

Now about the truck. Let's put a pft plant on this. If I can prove to you that this truck sold for $10,100.00 you buy a plant of my choice and put it up for auction in the upcoming NASC auction. If not I'll buy you a plant of your choice. Remember the plant has to be from PFT. That way the winner won't be able to choose a 2 or 3 hundred plant. Deal?

smile_n_32.gif

Well its larry the cable guy who wouldnt buy it right?

Anny ways, Thanks I really like the Probe... it looks preaty sharp, i want it in black but The top ones on my list are the
Probe and the Cougar!

Thanks

i don't like probes or cougars. let's fight about it!

j/k couldn't resist. although i really don't like those cars. can we pretent to fight?
am i probing you yet ozzy? copcar?

Back