What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bright Shade

• Thread starter JMurphy97
  • Start date
What does brigh shade mean and where should I put the pot to get this? How do you tell if the shade is bright enough?

lol Bright shade has always been one of "those" terms for me, too. I suppose it falls between partial shade and full shade. But lets face it, a plant probably should have a problem with partial shade if it's supposed the have "bright shade" (granted, I'm sure there are exceptions.

I'm sure Tony or some of the other guys who work in creating suitable environments on a regular basis (like what types of shadecloth would qualify as what degree of shade) will have something to add. But I myself wouldn't stress it too much and would just make sure it isn't in a pitch-black cupboard or under full sun.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Est @ April 09 2006,10:10)]lol  Bright shade has always been one of "those" terms for me, too.  I suppose it falls between partial shade and full shade.  But lets face it, a plant probably should have a problem with partial shade if it's supposed the have "bright shade"  (granted, I'm sure there are exceptions.

I'm sure Tony or some of the other guys who work in creating suitable environments on a regular basis (like what types of shadecloth would qualify as what degree of shade) will have something to add.  But I myself wouldn't stress it too much and would just make sure it isn't in a pitch-black cupboard or under full sun.
I think Est has it right. As long as the plant isn't in the dark and not in scorching full sun, then it should grow just fine.

I always took it to mean having it shaded, while the sun was shining, like under a porch.

I dunno I have some plant that they say use "bright shade" but right now I have them in a East window with my VFT's now. I was going to move them all outside though and I was wondering where I should put the n. ventricosa and the others ones that say bright shade.

I believe bright shade means as bright as possible without having sunlight fall directly on the foliage. When I get plants that call for bright shade, I try to find a spot with some light-colored walls where the light will not reach my plants, but will be diffused and reflected by the walls.
~Joe

So is light filtered throught trees a whole different catagory or is that also "bright shade"

That's moving in the direction of "partial sun."

Back