What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freshwater eels

I've heard of electric eels that are freshwater but recently in the markets I'm seeing Freshwater moray eels and such. Anyone take care of these or know much. I wanted to keep some with my arowana but i hear that there brackish and actually perfer a more saline (salty) water. Besides, my arowana might try and kill them.

We have freshwater eels here in the Saint Lawrence River. Entirely a fresh water ecosystem. They are real long with a purple slime covering their body.

Youre probably thinking Amazon Eels' they are rare in Aqarium hobbiasts collections, i dont know did you google stuff on them? and yess their are fresh water Eel's in the amazon (a major out put of tropical fish)

Cheers

Dustin, your eels are purple? Are they lampreys or something like that?
When I was just a boy('when he was just a boy..) I used to catch American eels in the creeks I fished in NC. They were green abd were usually two feet or larger on average.They would snap your line easy as they undulated so much when lifted out of the water, the tension was enormous. Then they had a boney jaw that was really hard to get the hook out of. And, when you grabbed them to remove the hook, the slime, the slime!
Sort of fun and not fun at the same time.

Cheers,

Joe

Eel is a general term. like shark. There are Hong Kong eels and Spiny eels, as well as Fire eels, Tire Track eels,...

Which are not true eels...

FW moray eel...do a google and turn up some sights. Think they are actually brackish fish.

your "eels" in the st. lawernce seaway are indeed lampreys as someone pointed out. I live near lake Michigan and since the locks were put in and boats could move from st. lawarnce to lake MI lampreys got in and have been a problem ever since, they are also purplish black in color and appear very eel like, though im not sure if they are truely considered an eel.

dont people eat true fresh water eels?

Sorry folks , there not lampreys that prduce louds of slime, I know exactly what you speak of. Nope there not tire track eels either nor fire eels. Hehehe, not american eels either but the true freshwater eels i've seen in the markets for sale. I hear it taste good.

What I'm talking is these eels that live in freshwater that look exactly like moray eels, everything but size. Here's some articles http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwmorayeels.htm http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Oddball,%20Moray%20Eel.htm

I had freshwater eels in my tank for about for about a week.
They are an awesome looking fish. They are also a major pain in the butt.
They are expensive to feed and if you don't feed them, they will eat your fish. They will hide in the undergravel filter if you don't have the tube properly topped.

I eventually returned mine to the pet store. I just didn't have the right settings for them.

Back