What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origami Newspaper seedling pots

http://www.geocities.com/newspaperpots/

The problem is... can anyone figure out how to do step #6?  I can't figure it out for anything :|.  Even with this advice:

Step 6 hints:

Paper is sitting on table with main fold (spine) on your left, and the opening on the right.

Take the bottom right corner, and fold it UP along the spine (like a paper airplane, only upside down)

Now flip it over (use your right hand, and flip it to your right), and do the same thing: this time you're folding it from bottom left to spine.

You should have what looks like a paper airplane now.

This is the tricky part. Before you do this, crease all your creases hard.

Now, take the whole thing and open it up so that all it has is the one original fold in it. Leave it loose, don't flatten it out yet. the 'open' end (it's got all kinds of folds in it, so it has kinda an 'open' end) should be facing you.

Kay, now just hold it up by the sides by that center fold. See that fold? It needs to go the other way so the whole thing looks like a diaper. The easiest way to do this is to pinch that center fold with your thumbs & forefingers (essentially folding it backwards) on each side, then bring the two folds together so your fingers meet in the middle. The diagonal folds on the BOTTOM will stay the same, and the TOP diagonal folds will also end up being inverted. Flatten it out.

When you're done, and if you let it go, you should have a diaper. Then you should be able to continue with the rest of the steps.

If anyone can figure it out and explain it to me in stupid person terms I would appreciate it  
smile.gif

I dont know how to explain it, Basicaly it should fold funny, like you start to fold, and make a second crease... in the middle so its kinda like a pouch... I dont know how ealse to explain it, it took me a few times to mess around with it befor i figured it out (PLAY AROUND WITH FOLDIGN IT YOU MIGTH GET IT!)

Cheers

I'm stuck at the airplane part. I don't understand where it says open it up to the original fold? I tried this and I got like a string ray looking thing with a triangle sail. Is this right? Help!

Hope this explanation of Step 6 helps:

Unfold the main fold HALF WAY.  At this point, half of the paper will be on the table, and the other half will be in the air at a 90 degree angle to it.  The corner that is up in the air is where 4 rectangular shaped sections of the paper meet.  Two rectangular sections are on the left, and two are on the right.  Gently push the left pair of rectangular sections to the left, and push the right pair of rectangular sections to the right, creating a "puffy" effect.  That will allow you to push the left corner down to the main middle fold on the table.  Keep pushing the left and right pairs of rectangular sections to the table, then fold them.

Turn the paper over and do the same thing on the other side.

At this point the paper is shaped like a house with a tall roof.  There's a slit on the bottom in the middle.  On the bottom left there are two pairs of corners, and on the bottom right the same.  Fold the top pair of bottom left corners to the right side.  There are three pairs of corners on the right now.  Turn the paper over.  Now the three pairs of corners are on the left.  Fold the top pair of bottom left corners to the right.  Now there are two pairs of corners on both sides.  Notice that the slit on the bottom of the "house" has disappeared.

The rest of the instructions should be easier to follow.

Ok I've created a "cone, diaper, pouch thing" and a fortune cookie. I still can't get to the part where you fold in the wings. Because for some reason my wings aren't "open" if that makes sense, their ends are folds.

pot09.JPG

Thanks everyone for the help, I'm still trying!

You've almost got it. Now fold each side of the top in half again. Turn the paper over and do the same -- fold each side in half twice.

OMGosh I finally got it! Thank you!

Next, an origami azalea for your pot.  (Just kidding.)   Hope it was worth the effort.

i just made one...pretty neat

I made one too. But I'm afraid winter will be here before I finish enough for all my tomato and pepper seedlings.

I made a paper pot using a 8.5 X 11 peice of paper.
I never priced peat pots, but paper seems to be very involved.
I myself buy 3 oz. SOLO plastic cups. You get 150 for around $3.50.

My cats are finding the paper pot a neat new toy.

I got a headache just reading this. I don't know if I can bear to click on the link.
confused.gif

Dang. Dude, free alternative?
That's time consuming.
You can get 15 pete pots for what? A buck fifty at HD?

Doesn't take that long to do it after you figure it out. Plus I love the size of these pots. I also need more than 16 :eek:.

Um is complycated, i will try to make ones.
biggrin.gif
XD

Back