What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aristolochia cuttings

I haven't had good luck rooting Aristolochia species vine cuttings so I'm curious if any of you are having success? Maybe you have some tips you could give me on what workls for you.

Mine sends up shoots from underground runners/stolons everywhere. I've dug up a few of those offshoots and potted them up. So far, they all survived the transition.

These plants seem to act weak/sickly when young but once they get a good root system, they can be amazingly vigorous. Mine is holding it's own (possibly winning) w/ a wisteria...

Hi Ron, thanks for the info... maybe I did throw them too soon last time I tried them (with A. gigantea), they did look wilted and nearly dead, perhaps I was too hasty.

I have recently recieved an Aristolochia trilobata (it makes Nepenthes shaped flowers with a long streamer ontop instead of a lid). I have placed it on my home made spiral climb pot (wire spring stretched up a bamboo pole glued in a pot) but there is some extra vines on it which I'd like to remove (for neatness/training of the main group), and I hate to just throw them away.

WOW those are neat looking!!! can they be grown as a house plant?

Glider,

Aristos are very cool! My favorite is A. grandiflora with enormous 12" diameter blooms plus a long streamer up to a couple feet in length. My friend grows it in his greenhouse (Orchids Ltd.) as a natural shade plant. Every year it completely overtakes the greenhouse rafters and by mid July it has created a natural shade cloth in time for our hottest months here in MN. Making a perfect cover for the orchids and amazing flushes of huge Aristo flowers. In late fall he chops the vine down to a woody stump thats planted directly into the earth under the center of the greenhouse.

Aristos are simple vining plants to grow but if you want them to flower you've gotta find a way to get them at least 1/2 day of direct sunlight. They're great on a patio in full sun if you can give it to em as long as your night temps don't go below 50*F. They are aggressive viners so you must put something for them to climb on cos they grow everywhere, and the blooms are most often pendant (hanging). I am trying to germinate seed of A. chilensis which is a non-climbing scrambling Aristo with upstanding blooms but so far all I've got is seedlings which looks like Jack in the pulpits in these pots...
confused.gif

Back