What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pictures on TF

Hello,

Is it possible to show pictures as thumbnails here? I would like to show small pictures, that are linked to bigger ones. This is quite usefull, as i have most of my pictures only in 150px x 113px (thumbnails) and in about 600px x 800px, which is by far too large to be posted directly to the forum.

I can usethis method to show pictures in nearly any other forums. Here it seems to be impossible! Or am i just doing something wrong? It would be great, if someone could help me.

Christian

You ought to be able to. It's a little different than CPUK, but what I do is right click on your image and then click Properties. Then right click on the URL and click Copy. Click Okay. Then come to TF and click the Image tab and then right click in the box that appears, where it has http:// highlighted. Then paste and hit Okay. You can preview it to see if the image appears. If it does, you can post it. Let me know if my instructions are confusing and/or Email me the picture links.

Hi Jim,

I know how to post pictures here. What i actually would like to do is to the following

link to a picture

But i would like to substitute the text by a picture.

If this is possible, i would really like to know how.

Christian

Do you mean like this:

x_Judith_Hindle_H4_008.jpg
Sarracenia X 'Judith Hindle'?

Hi,

No, that's not the problem. I would like to have it the following way:

x_Judith_Hindle_H4_008.jpg

but if you click on that small picture a new window should open showing the bigger one.

Christian

I'll test my Photobucket thumbnails out to see if clicking the image on the forum will produce a new window. If it doesn't work, I think Ive reached the capacity of my current knowledge. In which case, there are a bazillion others here who can get you from point A to point B.

AF001101.jpg

Okay, that didn't work! Sorry about that!
smile_h_32.gif

I think you have to copy the thumbnail link, and make sure your have everything, thumbnail link leading to the larger original image. I've seen it done, but never tried it. Great idea though if you can figure it out!
smile.gif

I know Phil recently made changes to the forums so people could use links for photos. Not sure if that's what you're talking about. But I've certainly seen other people do it here but can't remember who it was.

I think image shack does it automatically, no?

In any case, most photo hosters offer you a smaller version and a larger version of the photos you upload, you should be able to pust the smaller one (whether it be a very small thumbnail, or only a little big smaller than the original) and use that to link to your host space. From there, people should be able to easily get to the larger version.

You could always get a program that makes thumbnails for pictures in mass, then use them as the link to the large photo. Make sense?

Your code is wrong... The img code you used when I checked is
http://www.utricularia.net/tn....mg
Obviously some stuff is missing there
smile_m_32.gif
it should not have .... in the file name... there should be more file info there....

His coding is right, just:

There is a length limit. If you shorten the length of the link it will work. The forum automaticaly crops link text strings that would stretch the page, and since you are really making a text link with a image instead of text it crops the thumbnails url.

I had major problems with it, until I shortened up the length of all my file names.

Hello,

Many thanks for the replies!

The problem is really the length limit! I am using my pictures on my homepage as well as sometimes on forums. I will not be able to rename any filename just to show them here. Besides this, i can not really understand why there is such a limit. If a link is posted, that streches the page, it would be very easy for a moderator to change it. I think, such a limit is absolutely not necessary.

Christian

There isn't really an option to change this behavior in the control panel (that I see). I think it's a bug with the forum software. It may be fixed in a future version.

Back