What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Relly sad/mad/angry!

Hey my house is full of fungus gnats, or some kind of flying insects, was all fine, but today one get in to my glass of soda, thats relly bad, i wont eat a insect, thats the job of my cp, so i wanna change the pot of all of them... is a good idea?, how?, any tip?, last time i do this my plants die, so i dont wnat this happend, should i take out all substrate put plants on water and repot them in new peat/sand mix?, i hear abouth pinguiculas in mineral medium, sounds good, no peat no gnats!, aquarium natural gravel is good for cp?, if i change all plants substrate and maintain the terraium closed, for a week end and clean all my comon plants in my room, the gnats will fly away?, i wait you answers.

Fungus gnats don't seem to like the sphagnum/sponge rock blend my CPs grow in.

I have a thought... how about getting a bunch of Mexican pings?
biggrin.gif

You could just use a systemic insecticide on your plants to save repotting all of them. A drench rather than a spray will kill all the larvae in the peat and continue to work for several weeks so any new eggs laid by the adults will not prosper. Are the insects hanging around your pots? fungus gnats would be mainly around your plants, if you have lots of flying insects indoors it is also possible they could be fruitflies. Just check and make sure you haven't got any old fruit or veg lying forgotten in the back of a cupboard somewhere that is enticing them in.

no i dont have fruit in my room, anyway i will clean it a litle, lol. Mex pings will finish this?, i must got one. Droseras help me, but they are a lot, so they got catched later get white and cover w fungus, should i take the dead bugs out of drosera traps?, or leave them?, my nep still lokking bad =(, but each time i water the plants a lot of bugs come out! i tink they hate water, but if i submerse all the pots im puting on danger my plants right?

Someone help me!, there is any natural predator?, what abouth that red tings w black spots that fly?, im going to search the name for tomorrow, i tinbk they are fruit flyes!, oh my god.
confused.gif

Gnats are poor flyers and tend to jump around, with a bit of lift from their wings.

Are you actually seeing anything wrong with your plants? It just sounds like you have some sort of infestation not connected with your plants.

Hi, well im not sure, but wen they got caughted they die and become white, that is bad right?, maybe my plants eat to much and they dont want to eat more, but they caught them, and my nep have a black spot and they always are on my nep!, and i dont like my room full of flyes, they beggin to full me room wen i buy my plants.
smile_h_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cha @ April 16 2006,4:09)]they beggin to full me room wen i buy my plants.
smile_h_32.gif
Translation: 7h3y 83661n 70 fu|| m3 r00m w3n 1 8uy my p|4n75........ Oh. OK! I getcha now!
Sounds like you have fungus gnats. The larva can be a problem for small plants as they eat bits of the roots and if there are enough of them they can kill the plant. I would find the pots that are infested and seperate them from the ones that aren't first. Move them outside if you have to. I'd place them near your sundews. I use my D. filiformis, D. binata and pymy sundews. They work like fly paper only better
smile_m_32.gif
. Pings may work, but I think dews are better for gnats.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cha @ April 16 2006,4:09)]wen they got caughted they die and become white, that is bad right?
If they are fuzzy and white then fungus is growing on the bug carcas. This might be caused by too high a humidty. If it's too humid the bug carcus stays moist and becomes a perfect place for fungus too grow

Ok, i low the humydyti now is 40% to 80%, exactly now says 65%, so its bad for the plants change the peat taht they have?

Let your plants dry out for a few days. Kills fungus gnats dead.

Back