What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
Finnaly I have read through all the emails and picked out who I’m going to send seed to. If I didn’t pick you, I’m sorry… But if you PM me, I’ll gladly send you some D. burmanii or D. capensis seed. I know… It’s not D. ‘Tamlin’ … But it is something.
smile_m_32.gif

The people to get D. ‘Tamlin’ are:

The Griffin (got your info)
Jimscott (got your info)
Copper (got your info)
Rubra (have your info)
Tropics (got your info)
Schloaty (got your info)
PlantAKiss(got your info… And it is your job to save the below and read it to him next time you two talk.)

I have picked a lot of people here… So each won’t be getting a ton of seed. But there should be enough to get some plants. It’s a simple one to grow.
smile.gif
And while you read below, you will see what I was looking for. And while you remember why you get the seed. Put that to use and you share it also!! Lets make it the most common plant out there in EVERY collection, newbies and experts. Because it is Tamlin, who taught us to share. And the one thing I didn’t read in any emails… He taught us that the newbies today, are our experts tomorrow… And if we don’t teach them today, and give the plants to fuel their love for these plants. Who will care for, and grow them once we are not able to…. I hope you enjoy the below, it is in no certain order…. Just a lot of clips from all the emails.
Andrew

Who is “Tamlin”
By: The members of TerraForums.com

Tamlin……has a extreme passion with these plants…is extremely generous, giving away numerous samples over the years of his proagules…whose approach to our plants is to share, share, and share…Tamlin is a free spirit…Crystals to plants-and everything in between-he loves the earth abound…is a great guy and one of the biggest proponents of the idea of sharing plants. He is always willing to help newbies and he shares even rare plant material with just about anybody interested….and continues to be a leading expert on the [Drosera] genus…was more than willing to share his considerable knowledge of drosera with others and was responsible for distributing drosera plants and seeds to drosera enthusiasts throughout the world…One of the great CP growers for the Drosera genus-Plays guitar-Probably the most generous grower on the forum…is a wonderful, kind and giving man who greatly espoused and inspired the "giving ethic" in the CP community. He spread free seed, gemmae and plants to hundreds of CP enthusiasts in order to keep the plants in cultivation and make them readily available to the public. He is a leading expert in Drosera. He is also a muscian and poet of great talent, a knowledgeable rockhound and gem/mineral collector-He is most of all a good man, a good friend and a good steward for what our good planet has given us to enjoy.

Thanks to all who played,
Andrew

Hurrah for those who won (I was too intimidated by the idea of Drosera seed to even try to participate,) and most of all a hurrah for Tamlin!

Everyone who has met him knows what a great guy he is, and I think it was a wonderful idea, Adnedarn, for you to present the opportunity to not only spread his teachings by sharing seed, but also by letting newcomers know: Who is Tamlin. It's important that his teachings not be forgotten during his absence from the forums. We all eagerly await his return.

So thank you, Adnedarn!
smile.gif

And here I thought you were going to recount the original legend of Tam Lin, about a rather... amorous... mortal man bound to the Queen of the Fae-folk and how he escaped his bond.

Mokele

Mokele,

He chose his name because of that story
smile.gif
And there is indeed a bit of Tam Lin in "Tamlin"

[b said:
Quote[/b] (adnedarn @ April 17 2006,9:52)]Tamlin……has a extreme passion with these plants…is extremely generous, giving away numerous samples over the years of his proagules…
What is a proagule?

Ancient Chinese Secret
biggrin.gif

Wiliam was instrumental in my gaining confidence in my "skills" growing Drosera... I think your giveaway idea was a very good one, Adnedarn, perfectly in line with the basic concept Tamlin holds dear, and from the list of recipients, I have no doubt that this species will be spread to everyone who desires to grow it

Good work man, always nice to have pure "good news" stories to share along with our little obsession-plants

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mabudon @ April 18 2006,7:37)]Ancient Chinese Secret
biggrin.gif
Wasn't that a commercial for Calgon?

Andrew, thanks for including me.

There should be an extra "p" in there... Propagule, i.e. plantlete from division/cutting

I just talked to Tamlin the other night, its sad to hear almost all of his collection is gone, and he has a wierd skin rash, but I was glad to have him pick up the phone!

YES jimscott, guilty as charged (man there were some memorable commercials back then)

what ever did happen to Tamlin? I noticed he ahs been on here since septemebr
smile_h_32.gif

Already been disscussed in the original D. "Tamlin" topic (in the trade forum) we disscussed that... His computer is busted is the main reason he is not here.
Andrew

his computer died, his son is supposed to be fixing it. hopefully he is back soon. if is son doesnt get it up and running a few of us have a back up plan

I have an extra computer (older) or we could get together and purchase a Dell for under $500

Thank you for the seed!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]his computer died, his son is supposed to be fixing it. hopefully he is back soon. if is son doesnt get it up and running a few of us have a back up plan

Seriously, I'm ready to put something together and send it there myself! lol Hopefully his son will be able to fix everything, though.

After finding out he will recieved some of the seeds I have offered for what he wrote to me... He sent me a PM, which I think says exactly the theory behind Tamlin's way of giving:

"Although Tamlyn has not posted for a while, his spirit lives in people like you. I sent him some seeds once, and, although I didn't expect anything in return, he is returning the favor through you."

...I just had to share that, I hope he doesn't mind.
smile_m_32.gif

I can answer that question...I am Tamlin!

I gots a tear in my eye, and a lump in my throat from reading this. I love you too. It's great to feel appreciated, and I hope that I can still be of service teaching and giving advice, but I see things have been running very well here thanks to the excellence of the members.

The main teaching was always for generosity amongst growers, in order to spread the plants and the interest and ability to grow them. Growers come and go, but it's the private grower that will preserve these plants long after they have vanished from their habitats, not the Botanical Gardens, nor the Universities. That's why I hack at these keys with my sausage fingers, in hopes of meeting like minds that are willing to do the work of growing, and sharing! It's not about how valuable a rare plant is, but rather how important that it spreads! The choice has always been to make a buck or to freely share the rare stuff. I am for the free sharing and also the teaching that will enable success.

Thanks Andrew for this kind offer. I am unable to distribute anything but what I have learned, since my plants are gone now, but I do intend on doing that much at the least. You be one good grower mon!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ May 04 2006,8:15)]I can answer that question...I am Tamlin!.

The main teaching was always for generosity amongst growers, in order to spread the plants and the interest and ability to grow them. Growers come and go, but it's the private grower that will preserve these plants long after they have vanished from their habitats, not the Botanical Gardens, nor the Universities.
That is EXACTLY the main point I was looking for. The good news is... Since my last seed distrobution just a few weeks ago, my plant is again in flower and already about half way up the stalk. (glad I went ahead and increased the amount of seed per pack in hopes of mine flowering again as it has) You are of course welcome to a pack of seed if you wish to grow it.
smilie4.gif
You did after all answser correctly.
smile_m_32.gif

It's great to see you back, Tamlin! I hope that the issues with your computer have been resolved and that you'll be staying with us!

darn good to see you Tamlin! I hope you stop by from time to time to say hello.

Max

Back