What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think I might quit cps

Well all my pitchers on my sarras are completely dead, last weekend I came home to find out my mom forgot to turn the heater off and open the vents in the g/h its 135 degrees and all my sarras are burned to a crisp, my mom said she was sorry and it would never happen again, then today i come home, same problem 127 and my orchids are starting to burn as well, all ym vfts and pings are completely fine though for some reason unknown, I think for a few years I might just give the collection to Jeremiah or something where i know theyll survive then maybe later take a few back

You're still using a mom in your greenhouse? Moms are totally outdated. You should replace her with a thermostat instead. :p
Seriously, though, sorry to hear about your loss. I've had many a plant succumb to neglect by callous plantsitters, and I know how frustrating it is. I bet right now (or whenever you posted first) you're thinking, "%$#@! If only I'd been there, everything would've been fine like normal!" Or maybe you have a few choice words for the guilty party. But try not to place blame - accidents happen to the best of us and there's nothing that can be done. Just try to remember that next time, everyone involved will just be that much smarter and more experienced.
I'm sure your mom would have done something had it been on her mind, but she probably looks after your plants because she loves you, and not because she loves (or knows how) to take care of your plants. I got (questionable language omitted) super angry the first couple of times housesitters killed my plants, but after a while I realized that people who don't care for plants regularly don't really think about their needs as intricately or often as an enthusiast like me does. If you think about what you would have done before you knew about the care these plants require, you became obsessed with them and they began occupying your dreams and idle thoughts (is that just me?) you'll realize that it is a pretty risky proposition leaving your plants in the care of a non-grower.
Drippy emotional stuff aside, think about climate controls for that greenhouse. It's enough worry for me just to keep up after my plants' water needs - there's no way I'd take on managing greenhouse conditions by hand. I know you already have a pretty nice setup, so save a little dough and drop $150 on a thermostat and vent motor. It'll save you a lot of heartache - if you thought having someone else botch your plants was bad, just wait until it's your own fault.
Best luck friend!
~Joe

Bummer! I think seedjar summed it up pretty well though.

I'd sleep on it for a while before making any decisions, of course. I hope that it looks worse than it really is! My condolences to you. Wish I could do or say more to help, but all I can offer is the advice that you sleep on it for a while before making any decisions. Best of luck!

Sorry to hear aboutyour loss Kirk. I have to agree with the other two. A thermastat is a MUST. It will save on electric and stabilize the temps in the GH because with a closed GH the temps quickly become an oven from natural convection. My grandfather built my thermastats for me, and even though it took a little trial an error on the first design its been modified to run my fans and a newer one built for my heaters. Sleep on it before you give up. Oh did your little tashi yellow rose bloom? The lst one I had left is in bloom right now. Yellow with a red lip. Cool flower, but doesn;t quite open all the way. GL Kirk

well nothing happens on 'accident' maby you will lear somthing from this. besides the fact you should never use ur mom as a greenhouse nanny that is. i learned that some vfts and pings can withstand that high of a temperature!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
i had the same problem one time but with a differnt topic(not plants) and i took back all my thoughts on it and continiued it.....it was my baby(sugar glider),Daisy.
smile.gif
like they said just take a moment to think and not rush to rash conclusions
alex

Aw... I'm sorry to hear that. These plants, though, they never leave your system. In a few years....

Overheating is better than freezing! I speak from experience!

Bummer! Sorry to hear that Kirk! There's probably just something new and better planned for you life, so keep going.

Peter

Buzzkill, man!

I say 90 lashings with a wet noodle for yer Mum!

You MIGHT be able to guilt a few replacements out of her, if you go about it right.....not that I recomend that course of action or anything....
smile_m_32.gif

Seriously, though, that's really upsetting. Loose ONE plant is a downer....an entire collection....I can't even imagine.
smile_h_32.gif

schloaty- said and done ,:p she offerred to pay 100 dollars for some replacements I just asked if instead I could go to the ICPS shes still thinking about it, welp she did it AGAIN today
mad.gif

Sorry to hear about all that! I'm sure things will get better though.

Grrrr.` i am sorry to hear about your plants ~ think before bailing~ some may make it ~ i'm a mom ` i apologize on behalf of such a lame thing to do ~your plants were a big part of your life.Ive checked out invisionfree.com/CCPS its a good site ,
i too have deserved a wet noodle lashing ~once or twice or most likely even thrice ~ pissed but forgiven~ i recomend small guilt reminders placed here "n" there till that 100 bucks is in your hot little hands ~and this mess has made its amends ~

well i think ill give her a third chance as for cps, im still not sure, ive slept on it for a while and im still not sure what to do

smile_h_32.gif

Ohh, my mom just said Ouch, both of those plants Will get PRICEY To bad they dont have Like insurance on plants..
cool.gif

Sorry for youre sad story, dont let it stress you out, you get to start all over! Its fun seeing little guys start from the very beginings, BUT I would sudgest that you invest in a thermo first!

As for me I dont have a GH, as much as i would like one... If we win the lotto
laugh.gif

Rember dont get rid of any thing right yet, You could still have some live stuff!

Cheers

Sorry about your plants
smile_h_32.gif

Id say you need to get a timer for your heater they are fairly cheap, that should take some of the stress away for both you and your mom.
Your plants should be fine... well maybe not fine but as long as the roots arent damaged they will  come back in time.

Take the money from your mom buy a couple of replacements and buy her something also since Im sure she feels rotten as well

Yeah dude, I really don't think you should give up just yet. Your frustration is natural, but all it means is that you need to take a new approach. If your mom wants to pitch in a little cash, then use it to buy a thermostat setup so you don't have to leave her plantsitting every day anymore. Peace of mind for you, and less work for her - everybody wins! Worry about new plants later; from the sound of it you still have plenty of little guys to take care of.
~Joe

Back