What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone heard of...?

• Thread starter Tinytimid
  • Start date
I was wondering if anyone else has heard of Hypnopompic Paralysis. Thre is a instituete in the UK studying it and according to them everyone experiences it at least once in their life, (I have it once a year) but everyone I talk to about it looks at me like I'm crazy.

I had to google it to make sure I was thinking about the same thing as you. But yes, it was, and I have heard of it before. I've never experienced it myself (not that I remember, at least), but I've read some stuff on it and seen a show on it a while back.
Sounds like it could be a very scary experience. I'll try to remember if I've experienced anything similar...

At least I'm not looking at you like you're crazy!
laugh.gif

would someone care to explain what exactly it is for those of us who are too lazy to google it ourselves?
(ie my lazy butt)

It's pretty much when you wake up, but your body is still asleep. So you feel awake, but you're paralyzed, and it's often accompanied by feelings of pressure on the chest (making it difficult to breath) and sometimes hearing/seeing things and fear. I mean, if you woke up in the middle of the night and thought you were hearing/seeing/feeling things and couldn't move, you've be freaked out, too.

My experience is generally waking up in the middle of the night with an overwhelming sense of dread, first I notice the pressure on my chest, then I find I'm unable to move, can't even wiggle a toe or finger. There is generally a faint metallic hum, and I see someone standing at the foot of my bed (generally a shadowed figure) and when I try to scream I can't even make a sound.

When you sleep your body paralysizes (sp?) itself so you don't act out your dream. What happens is your mind wakes up somewhat you become concious but you are still in a REM state so you are still under paralysis, and you can have audial and visual hallucinations.

Some common causes are a change in the sleep environment, irregular sleep schedule, and sleep apnea. Also people with sleep apnea and narcolepsy are prone to it.

Yes Ive had this befor, I woke up, It was pitch black (usualy lit up by my electrical devise like my phone, stero, power strips). As  I am in the Basement Their usualy isnt Light if much from the lights that are their. The Terriums, but IT was Streaming light. I woke up their was a VERY tall figure (it had to bend to step into my room and was some what arched when it came in), It was amazingly skinny. It kept getting closer But it was a pitch black figure shaddowed from the light. Now i know that it sounds like A story of like aliens, but I was awake Pressure was on my chest and i couldnt move. I was freaking out man! And it was again with the Unable to scream or make any notion of how I was feeling.

Could it be genetic, my dad would sometimes find him self in this state from what I rember. And Could the Figure at the foot of the bed be a common phenomonena?

Cheers

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Est @ April 24 2006,12:39)]It's pretty much when you wake up, but your body is still asleep. So you feel awake, but you're paralyzed, and it's often accompanied by feelings of pressure on the chest (making it difficult to breath) and sometimes hearing/seeing things and fear. I mean, if you woke up in the middle of the night and thought you were hearing/seeing/feeling things and couldn't move, you've be freaked out, too.
oh... okay. yes, i've had that happen then. freaked me the heck out! i remember it was as is someone was sitting on my chest and i was freaked out so i wanted to call out for help cause but i couldn't do that either. there was a person laying right next to me but i couldn't tap him or call out to him or anything. freaky.

okay, thanks. at least now i know i'm not crazy... wait, this has nothing to do with my sanity but now i know that's the described incident is nothing to get all excited about. there.

Makes you wonder if some people who were abducted in the middle of the night by aliens, weren't experiencing the same thing.
smile_l_32.gif

I've been told rolling your eyes quickly can help put you back to sleep by mimicking REM, but I haven't tested this yet.

The last time it happened to me was from a flu-induced night terror at 2am on Christmas day. Now THAT was terrifying, considering I had watched some twisted anime previously, and maybe I thought Santa was after me.

If something that scary has been happening to me once per year, I'm glad I can't remember it. Or maybe I assumed the pressure on my chest and inability to move were because of a cat on top of me and dogs hemming me in.

I bet that cat feels the same way bugfreak!

I had this happen once when I was a teenager. I don't remember the pressure on the chest though, but that was a long time ago.

Closest experience to this that I've had is waking up and being unwilling to move. It happens most frequently on Monday mornings.

BCK, I experinced that this morning. It caused me to be 10 mins late for work.

Steve, I think what you are decribing is an allergy. This is a different phenomenon!
smile_n_32.gif

it scares the hell out of me no matter how much it happens haha. what happens is when ur in REM(rapid eye movement) sleep your body paralyzes its self so we dont act out our dreams. if we wake up suddenly from REM then our body still hasnt gotten over the paralysis. thats all it is. this is usually how alien abductions are explained.
alex

I have it atleast twice a month... it use to be one a week but has subsided. If you just relax you are able to break out of it pretty quickly (it feels like 15-30 minutes that you are in this state but really it's only a few seconds).

Back